Trying to pick a floor stand

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

vickil

Trying to pick a floor stand

Post by vickil »

I have been doing research on different floor stands that are available since I am undertaking this large project. Project finished size should be 21" x 31" roughly. I am looking at the Mark 2 by Hearthside Craftworks or the Ergo by Artisan Designs.

My biggest concern is with the Mark 2, it being only a one arm frame. With the length of the scroll that I am going to have to have, I am concerned about the weight of the scroll on the unsupported side and if I lean or put extra weight on that side of the scroll.

Just really undecided right now, I do not want anything what is going to take up halp of my living room and be in the way.

Does anyone have any input or experience with either of these frames?

Thanks folks, appreciate the comments and knowledge!

Vicki
WIP :whoop: :whoop: FINISHED

Wolf Variant-HAED Mini Yellow Roses-HAED
Tea and Roses-HAED
A Family Tradition-Mystic Stitch
fccs

Re: Trying to pick a floor stand

Post by fccs »

I don't use either one of those, but it looks to me like the Mark 2 would be quite stable, assuming your scroll bars will fit it. I use either the Lowery http://www.sewandso.co.uk/Products/Lowe ... Y-SG1.aspx" target="_blank" target="_blank or the Stitchmaster http://www.sewandso.co.uk/ran1170-0.html" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank, and love them both. The Stitchmaster is super easy because your scroll frame just rests on the arms, evenly balanced. The Lowery holds the scroll bars/Qsnaps/hoops tightly and securely.

I know you didn't even mention either of those, but thought I'd throw up a couple more options to further confuse the issue. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
pattiebelle

Post by pattiebelle »

I use the Mark 2. It was a b'day gift from DH over 3 years ago. I think it is the best floor stand out there. I've used it every day...

I use the 30" scroll rods and they are held up on both sides, no problem. (My largest project so far was 18"by15", so the fabric was 24"by21".) I also have the Qsnap adapters (also held up on both sides), so it is versatile. Changing from one to the other is easy. The knobs stay tight. It flips easily to the back of the work for tie-offs and endings. The height is easily adjustable and it rolls, so it can be moved out of the way. (I don't know what pic you are seeing that shows only one side of support.)

It's a beautiful piece of equipment and I have no complaints. Both DH and I researched on-line from many different companies and thought this was the best choice. Customer service is excellent.

Whatever you decide, I wish you many years of happy stitching...

:wub:
pattiebelle

"Gratitude is memory of the heart" (Jean-Baptiste Massieu)
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I think you meant the Ergo is a one-arm stand. The Mark 2 has two legs and supports both ends of the frame.

The shortest rods I use are 30 inches and I usually use 36-inch rods. I allow a six-inch margin around my design, so my fabric is usually quite big and the way I have my "stitching station" set up, I need the long rods to straddle my recliner. I have a Tomorrow's Treasures Giselle stand. They don't make them anymore, but it's a one-arm stand much like the Ergo. From what I see in the picture, it looks like the Ergo uses the same clamping mechanism as my Giselle to hold the frame. The stand itself was stable enough. The problem I had was the long, heavy-duty scroll rods made the frame so heavy that I couldn't get the clamp tight enough to keep the frame level. As soon as I'd lean even a little bit on the frame, the unsupported end of the frame would flop down because the clamp just couldn't hold it tight enough to keep it fixed. The folks making the Ergo may have solved that, I don't know.

I was looking at the Mark 2 stand as a solution, but I opted not to get it because even though it would straddle my recliner, I couldn't move my work left or right. If I was working on the center of the design, it would be okay; but when working on the left or right side of the design, I'd have to practically sit on the arm of the recliner in order to have the area I was stitching centered in front of me. The stand comes with a 36-inch crossbar. I would have had to get at least the 44-inch crossbar to accommodate my 36-inch scroll rods; but to have good movement left to right, I would need the 60-inch crossbar, but that would mean I'd have to lose my side tables and anything else within two feet of either side of my chair. If you do small projects on the 30-inch rods as Pattiebelle mentioned, that would work fine. For projects that are already big before you consider fabric margins, think about the longer crossbar and what that will mean to your living room space. Of the two stands you mentioned, I would go with the Mark 2 if space and budget aren't a problem.

Those were the considerations I was facing when using the long, heavy rods. I solved my dilemma without a floor stand, so I can sit in my recliner with my feet kicked up and stitch.

WIP
vickil

Post by vickil »

Sorry about the mistake, yes I was talking about the Ergo. Gosh, I didn't imagine that that there were so many difficult decisions to make. And things to consider when choosing a stand. :ratherbe:

Allyn, thank you for your input. You mentioned that you solved your problem with the heavy scrolls. What did you do, if you don't mind me asking?

Tea and Roses-HAED
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

There are all kinds of things to consider. It kinda boggled my mind when I started looking around for a replacement for my Giselle. Most of my options were limited by using the long, heavy scroll rods and the fact that I wanted to stitch with my feet kicked up sitting in my recliner. I settled on a Tomorrow's Treasures lapstand from American Dream Products. (It's called a lapstand, but I think that's a little misleading.)
With the long scroll rods, the frame straddles my chair so the legs of the stand sit on side tables on either side of my chair. When I need to move the work all the way left or right so the area I'm stitching is centered in front of me, I add a little wing board to the side table.
Here's an old picture:
That's with 30-inch rods and both wingboards. (There's a dust cover over the frame.) It's kind of a Redneck solution, but it works great for me. The frame is stable, I can center the area I'm working on, and best of all, I already had the stand so I didn't have to buy anything. (Which was a relief when I was looking at a $300+ stand as an alternative.) This was supposed to be a temporary solution until I got my father-in-law to build a stand to my specifications (he's a master carpenter), but this works so well for me, I just kept using it. It sets up and breaks down quickly if I need to strike it from the room.

WIP
pattiebelle

Post by pattiebelle »

Allyn pointed out an important piece of equipment to your stitching environment ... your chair!!! -lol

I had my chair first. It's a swivel with an unattached footstool. The base is circular so the Mark 2 straddles it nicely and I can recline and use the footstool. I just slide the stand from right to left when I work an area other than the center.

Have you chosen your stitchy chair? Consider it's base and all the side table arrangements, as Allyn has. I'm sure you'll fine what's just right for you :)

:wub:
pattiebelle

"Gratitude is memory of the heart" (Jean-Baptiste Massieu)
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I use up to 36" frames but only sometimes, I have a lowery and I find it really good, and I use the lowery long scroll adapter, it's a wooden device with metal clamps that clamps in the side clamp and then your scroll frame goes in the movable clamps on the wood, with the result that you can move the scroll frame further to the left making the whole thing shorter.

I'll find a link in a sec.

I prefer the Lowery as its on the side, so I can just flip it to one side to get up and it doesn't impinge onto my neighbours space (my dad, would be unimpressed) I can kick my legs up in my recliner no problems.

It's a difficult thing to investigate and workout all the different options! Best of luck!!!

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Here, and you can also get a longer bar that would make it even easier to move the length of your frame inwards.

http://www.sewandso.co.uk/Products/Lowe ... SGSS3.aspx" target="_blank

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
vickil

Post by vickil »

Thanks for all the ideas. I love seeing how others are doing things.

Right now my pick is the Mark 2. After I find out the cost I might change my mind.

I'll keep you posted.

Vicki

Tea and Roses-HAED