Help! My aida is unravelling

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

lilyedith

Help! My aida is unravelling

Post by lilyedith »

Hi guys,

Have you ever had this happened? The edges of my fabric are sewed, and I started noticing that the aida is unraveling. I was pulling out the strands that were coming off, and that exacerbated the problem. What can I do to make it stop?
Stitchinkitty

Re: Help! My aida is unravelling

Post by Stitchinkitty »

Are the edges overlocked or just sewn in a straight stitch line?Overlocking stops fraying.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Overlocking (also called serging) the edges as Marilyn suggested works. You might also try a product called Fray Check available in the notions area of stores that carry sewing supplies. It's a liquid in a squeeze bottle. You wet the very edges of the fabric and it dries hard, sealing the edge of the fabric so it stops fraying. The downside is, since the edge is hard, some folks find it uncomfortable to handle the fabric.

I vote for Marilyn's suggestion first, if you have access to a serger.

WIP
cairee

Post by cairee »

honestly dont worry to much about it, aida will only fray a certain amount unless the edges are getting handled alot I do nothing to secure the edges of my fabric, I just let it fray. Ive never lost more than 1/4" to fraying.

if it really bothers you you can serge it as suggested, or use a zig zag stitch if you have a sewing machine and no serger.
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

No sewing machine? Use masking tape. 8)
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Ooh. Masking tape... Goes really manky & sticky after a few months. No thanks.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Richard, honestly, that's not my experience -- it usually dries up and falls off if left too long! No doubt it can make the edges sticky sometimes, but I trim these off before framing or lacing or whatever, so I don't have an issue with it. In any case, the way I use the tape is to stick the minimum to the fabric, fold it over and stick the same amount on the other side; mostly the tape is stuck to itself.
fccs

Post by fccs »

Serinde wrote:Richard, honestly, that's not my experience -- it usually dries up and falls off if left too long! No doubt it can make the edges sticky sometimes, but I trim these off before framing or lacing or whatever, so I don't have an issue with it. In any case, the way I use the tape is to stick the minimum to the fabric, fold it over and stick the same amount on the other side; mostly the tape is stuck to itself.
Same here.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
richardandtracy

Maybe I use the wrong masking tape then. Mine goes all sticky, after 6 weeks the glue becomes all stringy and deeply tacky. If on a glossy surface like glass, the tape can be slowly slid sideways without the need to take it off. If it goes like that, it's really not suitable for a fabric.

Regards,

Richard
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

fccs wrote:
Serinde wrote:Richard, honestly, that's not my experience -- it usually dries up and falls off if left too long! No doubt it can make the edges sticky sometimes, but I trim these off before framing or lacing or whatever, so I don't have an issue with it. In any case, the way I use the tape is to stick the minimum to the fabric, fold it over and stick the same amount on the other side; mostly the tape is stuck to itself.
Same here.
and here too. Sometimes I use Fray Check but that doesn't work as well as masking tape.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

richardandtracy wrote:Maybe I use the wrong masking tape then. Mine goes all sticky, after 6 weeks the glue becomes all stringy and deeply tacky. If on a glossy surface like glass, the tape can be slowly slid sideways without the need to take it off. If it goes like that, it's really not suitable for a fabric.

Regards,

Richard
Oh, that does sound deeply yucky!! I use the sort that you'd use to protect glass when you're painting window frames. Not very sticky. (Wonders: does masking tape come in levels of sticky?) At at this stage my tape is both old and low-stick. 8)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Is the tape you use blue? We've always called it painter's tape. I forgot about it and I've used that also. I have no sewing machine and as silly as it sounds, I hate hand sewing. I have clothes never worn because they need a hem :oops:

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Nah. Tape here just comes in tape colour, AFAIK. Trust the US to gussy up masking tape. (However, we do run to blue band-aids -- for catering, when you cut yourself, you don't want to lose the thing in the sauce...)
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

rcperryls wrote:Is the tape you use blue? We've always called it painter's tape. ....
That's what I was thinking, too --the blue painter's tape. It isn't nearly as sticky as 'regular' masking tape even though it is a masking tape. It is less sticky so after you paint, you can peel it off drywall and painted surfaces without pulling the surface material off with it. It's usually in the paint department with the paint brushes and drop cloths, not with the other adhesive tapes.

WIP
richardandtracy

Only ever seen masking tape in beige. Even the professional coachworks next door to my house uses similar stuff to what I've had problems with. Ah well.

Regards,

Richard.
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Richard, maybe buy it in a. Pound shop, I bought some in one and it's lucky if it's sticky enough to pick up glitter.......

I do have a serging foot for my sewing machine but can never be bothered to get it out, so I tend to zig zag my fabric instead, works nearly as well.

I've used masking tape but only when I'm using a certain type of frame, and fray check isn't very good (it's just Pva glue....)

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
fccs

Post by fccs »

Serinde wrote: (However, we do run to blue band-aids -- for catering, when you cut yourself, you don't want to lose the thing in the sauce...)
Eeewwww...
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends