Yikes! I got it dirty.

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

PattyMac

Yikes! I got it dirty.

Post by PattyMac »

So I am getting close to finishing my first project since I came back to stitching ("First Hug")...and noticed that some of the light stitching has a pink color(top left of woman's hair)....it took me a while but I figured out that it is from the red pencil that I used to highlight the squares on my pattern that I completed. I rested the pattern on the fabric. I have never washed a finished project and am pretty apprehensive, however I read the posts about washing and feel a little relieved. Wondering though if you think that I need to do anything different because it is red pencil? Just looking for advice before I tackle it. :thinks:

- Pat
lillybit

Re: Yikes! I got it dirty.

Post by lillybit »

I would check by washing the red pencil off some other fabric first to make sure it doesn't run. If it is all OK then do a gentle hand wash with a soap suitable for gentle wool or hand wash and keep as flat as possible while washing and definitely while drying.
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Probably a no-brainer, but make sure your edges are secured before you wash or it may unravel. I agree with lillybit, make sure it's going to wash out and not run more. Take a bit of spare aida cloth and lightly rub it against your red-marked chart to get the same type of stain, then try to wash it out with orvus or something similar. If you're confident that that your original thread won't run, and the gentle washing soaps won't get it out, go with a drop of your regular clothes detergent and hand wash it a little more vigorously. Just make sure you super rinse it to remove all the residues. Good luck and let us know what worked.
PattyMac

Post by PattyMac »

Just an update. I used a rag and some laundry soap and dabbed at only the places that needed cleaning. Then rinsed the same way. Worked like a charm. Thanks for all the suggestions.

It is now finished, waiting on the birth to add the name. Will post when all finished and framed.
- Pat
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Great news! Looking forward to seeing the pristine finish :-)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page