Stashmas 2020

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

rcperryls

Stashmas 2020

Post by rcperryls »

Sojourner reminded us in a thread in the Exchange section that we have not posted anything about Stashmas. I'm starting this thread in "General" because it is likely to get more attention here. Looks like our traditional Stashmas isn't going to work this year (as so many other things in this crazy year of 2020) so we need to get creative because we don't want to just ignore the fact that we have always tried to do something special. Us mods have talked about it and gotten some thoughts from Debby (fccs) who has volunteered over the last few years to be out Stashmas organizer. One idea has been an SAL with a holiday theme and easily available for everyone to get. A kind of mini project? What do the rest of you think? We are wide open for suggestions. Something that everyone would be able to share.

Feedback? Ideas? Suggestions? Interest?

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Stashmas 2020

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Carole I PM'ed you but I can't find the PM in either my Outbox or my Sent folder - did you get it? If not I'll try again!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

My suggestion would be to send a special card with maybe a skein of DMC or whatever the recipient would like. I have a heavy stitching list already to get done between now and mid January and as even stitching a small card motif takes me almost a week it would be a push to get something in the mail by mid to late October.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Mabel Figworthy

Hi Carole, I wrote to you again but same thing, it didn't show up - I tried sending it to Serinde and that is showing up in my Outbox. The only thing I can think of - could it be that your Inbox is full? I've had that in the past, and then when I cleared out a few messages, suddenly new ones popped up that had been waiting in the wings!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Got it, Mabel, and sent it on the Carole. My idea isn't a million miles from yours.

I wondered, rather than trust anything to the post systems (which is where this problem began), it might be possible to send a pdf design to our Stashmas person? Each participant could say what they like and dislike in the usual way -- or even say they had their eye on something in particular. The usual constraints regarding costs, etc., would apply. I believe it is possible to buy a pdf and then have it shipped to a different email address. The only constraint that I can see immediately is that the recipient would have to be happy to give his/her Stashmas person a private email address, trusting it will be deleted after it was needed. :thinks:
kaliii

Post by kaliii »

Hey! I'd like to participate, too! Is it decided that we won't post anything by mail?

We could also do a stitch-along by pdf... could we?

I'm ok with giving out my private e-mail address, you seem like very trustworthy people ;)
kaliii

Post by kaliii »

It also depends on who is going to participate and what their interests are... e.g. just something I have in mind, but it's probably too ambitious..
here it comes: if everyone who participates would like to try and draw a design, why not create a pattern for a tablerunner with blackword squares. Like, each square on the runner has some kind of blackwork pattern. Could be just triangles as an easy version or some floral shapes if someone fancies designing/ drawing something like that. So we could have a collection of such designs (agree on a size before), and it's our collective project and available for everyone to make their won personal runner. The same is possible with e.g. easy flowers, geometric shapes or such.
But that only works if everyone likes it and feels up to the challenge. But it's an idea I have and wanted to share. (I'd like to do that with a class one day, that's how I got there)
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Taking into consideration the main conclusion about the work of post offices and delivery of mail in the conditions of the pandemic, nothing gets lost, just it takes more time to travel. So you may just agree that the presents are sent earlier, and they arrive when they arrive. The receiver should let know he/she had received the present immediately, so the organizer of the game does not worry. But then I am not participating, so this is just a thought.
Lyudmila
kaliii

Post by kaliii »

About the potal issues: I can only speak for Germany. Here it's all ok. Not problems (anymore). BUT I have no idea about the US. Only whoever lives there can tell. How is it? Is it really that bad? (All I know is from the news)
Then again, there might be other problems, not of things getting lost or being delayed, but over here we had restrictions as to where we can send anything that are not ordinary document. The US was excluded until yesterday. Other countries are still on the restricted list. All over Europe it works, but parts of Asia or Latin America are not reachable for a small package / consignment. What about the ter countries? Are/ were you unable to send to certain places, too?
It's just one more thing to consider. And the lists can suddenly change, depending on the pandemic situation.
Mabel Figworthy

I'm glad it's OK within Germany (it's not too bad here now for internal post, it was pretty bad a few months back) but over the past months we've unfortunately found pretty much all international post very very slow indeed (we send out a lot of orders abroad, including the US, Australia and several European countries) :-( But I'm sure we can find an alternative!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Mabel Figworthy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:55 am Hi Carole, I wrote to you again but same thing, it didn't show up - I tried sending it to Serinde and that is showing up in my Outbox. The only thing I can think of - could it be that your Inbox is full? I've had that in the past, and then when I cleared out a few messages, suddenly new ones popped up that had been waiting in the wings!
Mabel, Something strange is happening with my pm’s I guess. Got Serinde’s pm but not yours nor the one Serinde forwarded. Just replied back to both of you so let me know if you got it. And no, my inbox wasn’t full, but that has happened to me. So I try to keep it at no more than 75%.

We are getting some good ideas, everyone. I wouldn’t trust the US mail right now given all the chaos about it right now.

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

My feeling is that, given the state of international post (due at least in part to lack of planes flying) plus uncertainties of internal mail (particularly but not only in the US), we need to find a way to celebrate Stashmas which doesn't involve the post in any significant way.
kaliii

Post by kaliii »

Does anyone like my collective pattern design idea? It's ok if you say "no" ;)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Right now we are collecting ideas and should have figured something out soon. I like your idea and think if we don’t use it for stashmas, I think it’s something we can explore later on. I t would be fun. So hang on to it. I will too.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
kaliii

Post by kaliii »

Alright! Sorry, I was just eager for feedback. But let's see what others come up with.
What we could also do: we don't purchase a SAL as a gift, that is actually a SAL, but "feed" the stashmas exchange member with parts of a PDF pattern that we've chosen for them.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I found out today that Australia Post has already closed gift mail to the UK and Europe, Anything posted by mail from now onward MAY get there in time but then again may not.
As for any idea of doing a sort of stitch a long count me out. Too much stuff with a deadline to get done over the next 6 months.
Having kids close together is great until everyone starts having significant birthdays with a zero on at the end. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Mabel Figworthy

Hollow laughter...
(Royal Mail poster from 1937)

WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:roll: How times have changed! :tizzy:
Granny Weatherwax

Post by Granny Weatherwax »

Hi everyone,

Just was thinking about a suggestion for stashmas.

What if an easy, doable xstitch pattern in pdf was chosen.
A pattern which forum members could buy for a small fee.

And the mission is to make it your own, e.g. by adapting the pattern or colours or way of finishing. And to give it to a person close to you who is lonely due to the coronavirus pandemic.

In doing so, we could:
1. Support the designer, so no worries about copyright issues;
2. Enjoy xstitching together, so no worries about mail issues;
3. Be creative by making the design your own;
4. Tell other forum members about the person receiving the gift, producing interesting stories to read while taking a break from xstitching.

Anyways, just an idea!
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Hi, Granny! :wave: Interesting idea -- and thanks to all who have floated ideas. It really helps. :wip: