Quick daily posts

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

SteveM

Re: Quick daily posts

Post by SteveM »

Two days ago my 4 year old daughter went in for her annual checkup at the doctor's office. After getting a clean bill of health they gave her several vaccination shots plus the flu shot. Not too unexpectedly, she developed flu-like symptoms yesterday with her getting very tired and her temperature rising to 100F/37.8C for most of the day. Today she is fine and back to normal. Thanks to the inflexible rules posted everywhere we should self quarantine for 14 days. I usually go to work every Wednesday due to tasks that require my presence there or for the use of specialized equipment that is there. I know what I'm going to do.

A few weeks ago I was working late in the evening in a confined space with a coworker when he confided in me that he had gotten the virus a few months back. He hasn't told most people about it because the first coworker that he shared this information with treated him poorly and said that he should go work in isolation and avoids being around him. Yesterday I read that contact tracers are having a difficult time during their job at a University in the state because of the shaming of people that have been sick causes people to refuse to talk to them.

People.
-Steve

Serinde

Post by Serinde »

People can be stupid. People can also be scared. It's too bad about your co-worker, and ignorance is inexcusable, particularly if he's following all the guidelines, etc. If it's any consolation, that reaction -- backing away -- is one that's pretty typical all through history.

When children went back to school in Scotland in mid August, about 10 days later, there was a run on covid testing as about every primary school kid in the country was hauled to a centre to be tested... parents forgetting that Covid symptoms (even if some are slightly different with little kids) are different from the run-of-the-mill start of term colds, sniffles & etc. But it put parental minds at ease, and kids stayed in school. Win-Win.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Have managed to book a long-overdue eye test tomorrow, and afterwards booked in with my usual glasses people who will hopefully be able to put new lenses into my existing frame (must remember to bring spare glasses!)

It won't help the progressive thing, but hopefully will help with the usual eyes-getting-a-bit-worse part of it!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Must look after your eyes, Mabel! :idea:
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Looking after your eyes is THE most important thing.

We've been having fun today. Power cuts since about 2.30 pm to 20 minutes ago (just before 8pm) with temporary resumption for a few seconds/minutes at a time throughout. It's surprising what you forget. Boiling water on the gas stove is OK, but I tried to light the gas with the mains powered spark ignition. Doh.

It's things like this that make me convinced we need two or more alternatives for everything. Heating: gas boiler and Victorian fireplaces. Hot water: stove, boiler and kettle. Water: mains or header tank. Fridge-freezer, just don't open and it's OK for 24 hrs. Computing/router is the most difficult to harden against a power outage. Laptops/tablets are OK, but the router dies as did our mobile phone connection when the power failed. The landline was OK though. Do need a battery operated FM radio as I can't find the one I thought I had.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Richard, having a backup is important. My DH wants an induction hob (and the Scottish govt wants to phase out gas in the home), but like you, at least I have a hob to cook on if no electricity (utter failure of everything means the flat top of the woodburner and a return to pioneer days!). We have a reasonable battery radio, but I always fancied one of those wind-up ones!

What always amazes me is how quiet the house is when there’s no electricity — all that background humming is gone. :shock:
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I shall miss the cooking hob I have in France.
It has 2 gas burners ( run off tank gas...no mains gas here) and 2 ceramic electric. All on the same glass plate. Quite common to have duel fuel hobs. I use the gas for rapid heating and the electric for longer slow simmer. Not seen that sort in UK.
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

The phrase "social distance' has always sounded wrong to me, or not accurate, to put it midly. Today I heard from another person that the phrase is wrong.

As far as dictionaries explain social distance, it is measured in dollars and other measures of well-being, and physical distance between objects is measured in meters. So why do even native speakers use that "social distance"? I wonder who was the first to use it in the context of the virus?

I know this sounds as if I had nothing better to do today. On the contrary, I am busy up to my ears. Need to finish the third corner on the Easter towel, and my hands itch to stitch at least one tiny piece on the second Map. Plus the weather is warm and sunny, which is very distractive in itself.
Lyudmila
Mabel Figworthy

Someone here suggested "physical distancing" to show that we can still be social and sociable, just not physically close. But the other term seems to have lodged in the collective consciousness now.
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

When we were studying infectious diseases at the uni (on Saturdays, for 6 hours during the first and second year - medical course to make us in addition to the main speciality also medical sisters of Reserve), we spoke only about phisical distance, as it is the only distance that matters in such cases.

But then it was 50 years ago.
Lyudmila
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Mabel Figworthy wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:05 pm Someone here suggested "physical distancing" to show that we can still be social and sociable, just not physically close. But the other term seems to have lodged in the collective consciousness now.
That was, I think, me. I agree with Lyudmila regarding semantics, because the medical importance is the distance between physical bodies. I suspect what TPTB were getting at was that people had to be very aware of their social circumstances and not do the things that civilised people do == shake hands, hug, touch hands to shoulders for comfort == all important "glue" in society. No wonder people are feeling shattered.
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

So my K's Creations stitching frame arrived. It was love at first stitch (well, more like 67 stitches). I am still able to recline, but now I have two hands free at all times, oh Joy! @rotfl:

Anyway, the webbing on the both dowels was attached at a slight angle, which made attaching the aida cloth rather tricky. :( Even though K's doesn't sell direct, I emailed to let them know that I loved their frame but was surprised they shipped something that way, and though I didn't ask, they responded right away with an apology and said they are sending me new dowels!! New dowels that I won't use for a year or so... ha. But I was encouraged by their response. Customer Service isn't dead yet! :sun:

I want to stain, or paint the frame. Or give it a tattoo. :ratherbe:

Sahari
Mabel Figworthy

That is good service indeed - and how lovely that the frame works so well for you!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Mabel Figworthy wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:08 pm That is good service indeed - and how lovely that the frame works so well for you!
I second that.
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

Stitching is like raising children: you start out with a plan, determined to stay on top of each step, but before you know it you're cutting anonymous threads on the back (where did THAT come from?) and your kid has run off to join the circus.

Lordy! It's time for a :choc: (or two).

Sahari
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

At this point, running off to join the circus might be the only employment opportunity -- once they are allowed to open up, of course! :doh:
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

Serinde wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:54 am At this point, running off to join the circus might be the only employment opportunity -- once they are allowed to open up, of course! :doh:
Good point Serinde. :liontamper:
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Could you suggest it as an option to my kids, please. While I do love them dearly, I would like my house back. In the years when they were both at university it was bliss. Now one has almost finished her Masters, and the other has just started, they are both studying from home and attending lectures by Zoom meeting. This means our house isn't ours any more.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:lol: But you have cats, Richard.... therefore once the girls up and leave your house still won't be your own....it belongs to those Fabulous Felines! @rotfl: @rotfl: :kitty: :kitty:
Mabel Figworthy

wendywombat wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:54 pm :lol: But you have cats, Richard.... therefore once the girls up and leave your house still won't be your own....it belongs to those Fabulous Felines! @rotfl: @rotfl: :kitty: :kitty:
Yes but at least they purr amiably at you and then go off and do their own thing :-)
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page