French Knotts - Help!

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Jen_3

French Knotts - Help!

Post by Jen_3 »

Hello...

I've not been stitching for long and i'm doing a pattern that needs a couple of french knotts but i have no idea where to start ...

Does anyone have any easy ways of doing these? or any alternatives to French knotts?

:cry:
Jen
xxx
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

Hi i have no idea how to do one as i aint done one yet but i read in a mag if u didnt want to do a french knot but still want the rasied affect u can just put a beed on. Or if u type in google how to do a frech knot the top 2 look understandable but knowing me id still have trouble with them lol. Hope u get it sorted :D
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

:lol: :lol: Oh, boy, does this question come up often! Everyone has trouble with French knots at some stage or another. Beads are good, but sometimes they aren't quite right. Here is some online help for you:

www.anniesattic.com/cross-stitch/content.html?type_id=S

at this URL you will find all kinds of help with various types of stitches.
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

I have to hold my hand up and admit that I'm totally useless at french knots :lol: luckily it's been a fair while since I've had to do them.

I use colnial knots if I have to instead of french knots, but I have to think for ages before I can rmember how to do them :lol:
Emma
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Emma
Rose

Post by Rose »

I was going to suggest the same site, I think it is the very best to show how to work the knot.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Ekidna

Post by Ekidna »

I detest french knots, I have done them.... eventually, but I have to sit in front of the computer to look on the above site. I find the colonial stitch *much* easier, and since doing my afghan, I can now do a perfect one, first time, without looking. I have to thank Genevieve for this as she directed me to the above site pebbles has quoted... a life saver!!

I have also used beads in the past, so quick and easy to use and yet people who don't stitch seem to think it's really extraordinary.. :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Practice, practice, practise, that's about the best way to get a grip on the dreaded french knot!!

Facebook: Sarah-Kay Scholefield
Twitter: purplechidna

My WIP's
Home Sweet Home Cushion Sets
Flower Set - 2 to go
Olga Gostin Australian Houses Set - 4 to go
rubyviolet

Post by rubyviolet »

i was going to mention too, everytime i have to do french knots i get a spare piece of fabric (anything will do really) and practice on it. once you get the hang of it, then go do them on your actual pattern. for some reason i could have 5000 french knots in a project and still not remember how to do them by the time i get to my next project :lol:

also, when you practice, usually the thicker the thread the easier (for me anyway). others might have a different preference.
hada56

Post by hada56 »

I've never had a problem with French knots, and I just looked onto that site with the explanation for the Colonial knot, and it looks more complicated than the French one! LOL::!! anyway, a bead can always be used in place of the knot.
Jen_3

Post by Jen_3 »

cheers for all the help, i shall settle myself down later and have a go. i'll let you know how i get on.
Jen
xxx
Rose

Post by Rose »

I agree whole heartedly with Hada I have been doing french knots for years even before getting into cross stitch and I find them very fun to do. I have looked at the colonial and it seems more work then a french so I have not even given it a go. I will one day though.

One thing that I do just a touch different then the video is they go back down the exact hole I don't I go over just a thread or two and go down. I have found with some of the smaller threads you need to do this so the knot doesn't pull back though the material.

I don't know if anyone else has had this happen but I learned to go over a thread or two early on.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
hada56

Post by hada56 »

rose: i learned that, too, early one. in fact, that's how it was explained where I learned it from. (don't remember where, some magazine or kit, I guess).
rubyviolet

Post by rubyviolet »

i didn't notice that in the video, but that's weird. i was taught to always go a couple threads over.
ConnieO

Post by ConnieO »

I like french knots, I find them easy. But I did work it out for myself about going over a couple of threads after losing many knots back through the holes. :lol: :lol: :lol:
A stitch in time is my idea of a perfect day!
Connie :-)
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

i have actually practiced them on a scrap fabric w/ scrap yarn..over and over and over and finally have got them! now they are easy and I love to sub them sometimes in patterns where I would usually sub the knot for a bead..but now I do the knot!
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I like French knots too! I used to find them really difficult but I kept practising until I got'em right. Like C_F I stick them in wherever! :D :D
Becca

Post by Becca »

I go back down through the same hole and have never lost any yet, if your thread is quite fine try wrapping it round the needle more times to make a larger knot.
Click the banner above to visit us at Crafts 'n' Creatures!

And my blog which is full of all my stitching
*Jess*

Post by *Jess* »

French knots use to annoy me so much; they even annoyed my boyfriend to the point where he was trying to do them himself lol :lol:

What I found -really- useful was this video on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul8XT72oA68

Hope it helps cause after watching that and practicing abit I got the hang of them too! :D
"Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs."
Ekidna

Post by Ekidna »

I've bookmarked this, great link, Jess, thanks!! :wink: :lol:

Facebook: Sarah-Kay Scholefield
Twitter: purplechidna

My WIP's
Home Sweet Home Cushion Sets
Flower Set - 2 to go
Olga Gostin Australian Houses Set - 4 to go
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

Serinde wrote::lol: :lol: Oh, boy, does this question come up often! Everyone has trouble with French knots at some stage or another. Beads are good, but sometimes they aren't quite right. Here is some online help for you:

www.anniesattic.com/cross-stitch/content.html?type_id=S

at this URL you will find all kinds of help with various types of stitches.
I was going to suggest this site. I find it really helpful