Fairies

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Parksfarm

Fairies

Post by Parksfarm »

Soooo - what is up with the majority of the artists out there putting pointed ears on their fairies??? For some reason that totally creeps me out! I'm going to have to figure out how to redesign that area on some of my charts... :roll:
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS
Lovers, Christmas Fairy, Goblins Fae Guide, Autumn Pears, Ride the Wind, Chimera Black Rose, Surfers Dream, Witching Hour, QS Nostlagy, Lg Treasure Hunt Bookshelf, Owen

Chatelaine
Konstantinople Hamam, Serengeti, Alpine Seasons
kitkat

Re: Fairies

Post by kitkat »

i thought elves had pointy ears....not fairies....that is very odd but i kind of noticed it too even in fantasy art sometimes and i'm like hmm that's weird because i don't picture fairies having pointy elf ears lol
"give me a break" ;)

WIP--
"Balloon Glow"
aundria

Post by aundria »

I agree! Actually, ears in general are a little creepy, the pointy-ness makes it more so. I like the way disney does Tinkerbell - her hair mostly covers it... Which, incidentally, is also how i try to do my hair because I think my own ears are too pointy :oops:
WIPs:
Van Gogh - Skull with Cigarette (3 pages down, 3 pages half done, 3 pages blank)
HAED - 1/3 of one page done, one million to go
Dragoncloud (2 pages done, 28ish to go)

In the pipeline:
Starry Night with Tardis
Angel

Post by Angel »

Fairies have been drawn with pointy ears for hundreds of years. It's actually a far more recent thing to try and make them appear almost human. Especially when you consider that various cultures have the same word for fairy as they do elf. The two actually began life as one, and seperated into two distinct races not that long ago.
hada56

Post by hada56 »

LOL::: :)
considering neither actually exist, I guess you can paint them anyway you want. (No offence meant to anyone)
koko

Post by koko »

I like all fairies, pointy ears or no :D But if you like more "human-looking" fairies, check out Nora Corbett's designs, her fairies all look like pretty girls with wings. I have a couple of her Pixie Couture designs, they are all fairies in fancy flower-themed clothes :)
Kim

2011 Projects:

Current:
Floral Hand-Towels
Various Christmas Cards / Presents

Long-Term WIP's:
Chatelaine Hummingbird Mandala
Dunnotar Castle - 23,718 of 60,368 stitches
Sarah Gixxer

Post by Sarah Gixxer »

I always thought they did have pointy ears, just quite little ones. We could do with a fairy smilie :lol:
CURRENT WIPs
HAEDs - Bubble Telescope, Floatilla, Rainbow Embrace, Ray of Light, Iron Dragon, Newport Lighthouse
Fractal 239 Aero Chocolate
Parksfarm

Post by Parksfarm »

Yeah, Nora Corbett's fairies were the first ones I was attracted to. I've done The Lilac Pixie Couture and have several more in my stash. When I found HAED, I was just surprised that they all have the pointy ears... I was never much of a fantasy girl before, so I guess I just didn't notice that fairies have them. Should be simple enough to change though, I'm going to just carry the hair over the end of the ears and voilà! :D
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS
Lovers, Christmas Fairy, Goblins Fae Guide, Autumn Pears, Ride the Wind, Chimera Black Rose, Surfers Dream, Witching Hour, QS Nostlagy, Lg Treasure Hunt Bookshelf, Owen

Chatelaine
Konstantinople Hamam, Serengeti, Alpine Seasons
Emma1977

Post by Emma1977 »

If I sit and think about it the it does seem a little strange to me as whenever I think of fairies I don't picture them with pointy ears. :lol: However, it doesn't bother me either way. It just comes down to how different people interpret and visualise them.
Finished
Fantasy Flitterflies
Ruby Wedding Sampler
Vervaco: To have and to Hold wedding sampler
"Gift from God" birth sampler
Vervaco Wedding Bouquet

W.I.P
Cinderella, Joan Elliott
Swan Fidelity
Galaxy
Dimension - Baby Express
Forever the Flagship