Universal craft stand

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

lowrainehope

Universal craft stand

Post by lowrainehope »

I cross stitch using rods and rails attached to a floor stand or using rods and rails that have a dowel that goes into a stand that you sit on and slip the dowel into the side. I like the one which allows you to use a dowel because you can spin the work to reach the reverse side. If I use the floor stand I find that I must remove the work to get to the reverse side. Can someone explain how they reach the reverse side without having to remove everything? Thanks
mauveme

Re: Universal craft stand

Post by mauveme »

That's the problem with some of them. YOu have to either take it off. or turn the whole thing around. Mine just flips over when I loosen the knob. I had one that was like yours but it was a real pain.
Linda
lowrainehope

Post by lowrainehope »

Well I have made a decision to modify my stand. I found a plan on line that takes my existing frame and adds a holder that will rotate just by loosening a knob. I work with wood so I can make that change without much trouble. Thanks for your help. What kind of stand do you have now. I saw the frame that was posted for sell where the man sits on part of it. I like it but I have already spent the money for this one so I am going to fix it instead. Thanks again. Lorraine
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

My floor stand is designed to have screws in the top (or botton holes) and a pin in the bottom (or top) so the pin can easily be removed and the project flipped.
Myst..
Genghiscon

Post by Genghiscon »

I've had this stand for a couple months now and I quite like it. As other fine folks have mentioned, this sort has screws at the joints (the sort with handles for loosening and tightening, not the ones requiring a screw driver) to adjust angles. The "head" of this stand can rotate over giving you quick and easy access to the back of your work.
I drank what? - Socrates

WIPs
Antique Map 5
Tinkerbell Afghan
Disney/Looney Tunes Character Christmas Afghan
VanGogh's Starry Night over the Rhone *paused*

Completed 2011
"Zombies Only Want You For Your Brains"
lowrainehope

Post by lowrainehope »

I have the same stand as in the picture with the exception of the last two attachments. Those two attachments I plan to make in my shop today. I need the piece that holds the work and the one I found online to make has a place on the back that loosens the work allowing you to turn the work. Thanks for posting the picture. The one I am making has a dowel that allows you to loosen a nut or knob rotate the work and rotate it back to its original position.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I still have a stand like this, and I used it for years and years without a problem. Excellent basic stand.
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Here is my stand. One of the feet slips under the chair so I can get it close. The arm holding the scroll (will also hold qsnaps) adjusts up and down and will turn the frame so I can get to the back easily.
Linda
freelady

Post by freelady »

I don't like frames but I can use mine on the stand if I use the[quote][/quote] 'helping hands' attachment that I found on Sewandso. It stands above the frame and lowers it from the stand so it can turn without getting caught on the stand. That is the best way I can explain it.
lowrainehope

Post by lowrainehope »

Well I spent a few hours in the shop today making the two pieces that I need for the stand to hold my work and rotate so I can get to the back. I have a dowel glued up tonight so I expect to put it to use tomorrow. Wish me luck. I got an email from a stand company offering to sell me the extra pieces for $45.00. Get real, lets hope my version works. Thanks to everyone for their help.
lowrainehope

Post by lowrainehope »

I am looking at the added piece on the last picture where the book is located, now lets see if I can add that one how.
lowrainehope

Post by lowrainehope »

Genghiscon, may I ask a question this morning please? I finished my attachment for my stand and I looks simular to yours. My attachment has a dowel that slips into the stand, is that the way yours attaches? Second question, you use a hoop where I use a frame, can I see the part of the hoop that goes into your attachment? Here was the problem with my new design. I use a frame which has the rails on the side and the dowels on the top and bottom that holds the fabric. When I attached the top dowel it wasn't secure enough to be stable. I could use my attachment better if I used a round hoop but that wasn't in my plan. I have purchased a series of frames in different sizes. I have added hardwood dowels to the side frame of my frames. I have a lap attachment that I slip the dowels into and do my work. That isn't the best but I have done my best work using that setup. I like the frames because I can keep my work rolled up and turn it from time to time to get it closer for working.
My next thought is to try and make the stand work where I would use my frames with the dowels and slip into the stand with it on my right or left side simular to the other posted picture here on this posting. Any thoughts out there? I am still not happy. Maybe I need to work on a better stand that I sit on. I can buy one for $65 but I hate to give up in defeat and spend additional money. Lorraine
lowrainehope

Post by lowrainehope »

Linda, I am looking at your stand attachment. How does the attachment work? How does it tighten to stay in place and how does the attachment work to keep your work tight? Your maybe my plan. Thanks Lorraine
lowrainehope

Post by lowrainehope »

Linda one final question, what do you use in your attachment?