Questions for those who wind their thread onto card

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

roo_bear

Questions for those who wind their thread onto card

Post by roo_bear »

Have bought myself a new toy, just randomly saw it in hobby craft and have been looking for better easier way to sort and store all my thread.
It's one of these;
So my question is do you just wind it straight onto the card or do you need to do anything to it first?
Rose

Re: Questions for those who wind their thread onto card

Post by Rose »

Just wind it straight on to the bobbin. Did you get the card type????? There are paper ones and also plastic. I started with the paper but have gradually phased out those and most are now on the plastic bobbins as they hold up better.

I found that the winder that came with my original bobbins was more of a pain then a help. I have been told by others that they are great helps though. When I do mine I take the floss and open it up so that it looks like an oval I then put my left hand through the middle so that as I am winding it rolls around my wrist, I found that that makes for less wadding up and a smoother bobbin.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
cristaltipps

Post by cristaltipps »

Yes i bought one of those and thought it would be great but i could not get on with it, was more faffing about than it was worth, like Rose i put the skein over my wrist like a bracelet and wind it that way.
We are all different though and you may love it have a go :) good luck
Wandatoo

Post by Wandatoo »

I do the same as Rose. :)
Wandatoo

"Dogs come when they're called. Cats take a message and get back to you."
shjordon

Post by shjordon »

I tried one of those, and didn't like it at all. Now, I also do the same as Rose. There's much less tangling that way.
Sheila
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Wandatoo wrote:I do the same as Rose. :)
Me too

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Rose

Post by Rose »

@rotfl: Oh look at me I am a trend setter......... @rotfl:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
mechie

Post by mechie »

rcperryls wrote:
Wandatoo wrote:I do the same as Rose. :)
Me too

Carole
:dance:
Me three (or is it five now :D )

mechie
WIP:
The Elementals (HAED) - Finished 9/42 Pages
Fall Fairy (Dimensions Gold) - Finished 4/4 Pages only backstitch left!
Springtime Roses Freebie (Chatelaine)
The Encounter - Finished 3/24 Pages (HAED)
geekishly

Post by geekishly »

I love my thread winder. It saves so much time and I get on with it splendidly. I slowly move my left hand back and forth to guide the thread onto the bobbin so that it winds evenly across the card.
- Brandi

WIPs
Joan Elliot's "Grace"
"Sephina's Secret" by Illustrated Ink
Small Projects - Belle & Boo girl w/dove

my blog
Arianwen

Post by Arianwen »

I love my bobbin winder! It makes it much easier to get the thread to lie flat and stops me from getting in such a mess with the thread.

I don't have a set way of doing it, I just do whatever causes less fuss. Sometimes I loop the skein around my wrist, other times I unwind it all first before winding it back up - depends how much of a knot I get myself into lol! I also slowly move my thread from one end of the bobbin to the other and then back up so that I get the thread lying relatively even

I use plastic bobbins and I cut little strips of label stickers to write the numbers on then stick them to the bobbins.
Current WIP's

HAED What Lies beneath Dakota Daetwiler
Disney Dreams The little mermaid / Fantasia by MCG textiles/Thomas kinkade

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
Heather Mulberry Silk in 'Gladys
roo_bear

Post by roo_bear »

Rose wrote:Just wind it straight on to the bobbin. Did you get the card type????? There are paper ones and also plastic. I started with the paper but have gradually phased out those and most are now on the plastic bobbins as they hold up better.

I found that the winder that came with my original bobbins was more of a pain then a help. I have been told by others that they are great helps though. When I do mine I take the floss and open it up so that it looks like an oval I then put my left hand through the middle so that as I am winding it rolls around my wrist, I found that that makes for less wadding up and a smoother bobbin.
Yes, I got the card type because the were on the stand next to the winder, I didn't see any paper or plastic ones. I didn't look very far though it is safer for my bank balance to spend as little time in hobby craft as possible.
summer81

Post by summer81 »

I too have purchased one of these but I thought it was more hassle than it was worth. I am another one that opens up the skein, puts it around my wrist and then manually wind onto the bobbin :D
Summer x
crosstitcher1

Post by crosstitcher1 »

For YEARS I wounded my thread. I got TIRED of it and now just put the skeins, folded in half, in those sport card holders, label each with the right no., on sticky rectangle dots, I got them at my hobby store, and put them in 3 blue plastic binders. Those are for my MAIN threads, and when I run out of a certain no, I refill from 3 black binders, a stackable 4 separate floss container that has a 4" wide flap the hold the containers into the stackable, and 3 plastic organizer bins, about 2" deep compartments, that holds my EXTRA threads. The stackable holds the wound up bobbins threads that hubby found in a yard sale a year ago. And each year, with Christmas Club money, I keep buying 1 skein of each color, so I ALWAYS have each color supplied.
The binders are all in a 7 drawer, on wheels, stackable cart. The 4 stackable is on top and the 3 other containers are beside them.
I just take the TAIL and PULL to the BUMP of 3 OR 4, ABOUT 40" long, and cut and DOUBLE my single thread to ABOUT 20" long, to sew with.

HAPPY STITCHING IN STITCHING LAND. :applesauce:
ComaStitch

Post by ComaStitch »

My OH uses his wrist, I just unwind it all into a big pile on top of my thread box and then wind it onto the bobbin! I had to wind 100+ skeins and a big ball of thread this month so I could get organised, worth it as the box looks so pretty but everytime I see the word bobbin I wince... :lol:
lala

Post by lala »

I do not use a winder. I do like Rose and find winding my thread on the cardboard bobbins quite relaxing while watching tv at night. I have purchased plastic bobbins but sometimes the little slots in the side of the bobbin are too wide and the threads come loose so I stay with the cardboard.
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I love bobbinating!! I often do it when visiti g friends or when friends visit and I can't stitch due to concentration issues.

I use plastic bobbins almost exclusively now, having once used card. I do it Roses method, and don't use a winder though somehow I have accumulated two!!

At the end of the day it's however you find best isn't it!

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village