help! I cut a hole in the fabric/best ways to frog

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

karenstitches

help! I cut a hole in the fabric/best ways to frog

Post by karenstitches »

Argggh. I was frogging with a small pair of embroidery scissors and thought I was being very careful. But I still cut a hole too big to just work over. I'm using 28 ct lugana, and the pattern requires a very large piece, so if I can't repair the fabric I'll have to order more.

Two questions, and if you have any advice for one but not the other, please post whatever advice you have.

Any suggestions for repairing a hole like this? It's about the size of two vertical blocks, maybe a little bigger.

What's the best way to frog?
Thanks, everyone!
Reta

Re: help! I cut a hole in the fabric/best ways to frog

Post by Reta »

Can you cut a small amount of material and patch

Or take a strand off the side and weave the strands back in

I always frog with a needle one stitch at a time and only use scissors when thread gets long

Good luck
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

I've had this happen on aida, although mine was a hole that I didn't notice until I had gotten closer to it. Arggghhh crappy kit fabric!!
But since Aida is a block weave, it wasn't going to unravel, I just didn't have my holes in the right spot.

And I asked here for help.
Heres the tip they told me that I tried with success

Fray check around the slice to sort of hold the threads together while futzing around with it.
Cut a small piece of fabric to patch on the back. At least 2 holes bigger than the slice on all sides. (with evenweave, I would go a bit bigger.. mainly to stay away from handling the fabric near the slice and making it bigger)
Then stitch through both layers of fabric. Shouldn't be noticable on the front and the other stitches will hold the sliced threads from unraveling further.

When I was done, I fray checked again on the threads on the back around the slice. It wasn't the easiest thing I've done- trying to hold that little patch in the right spot as I pulled my needle through the fabric- with just enough tension to hold, and look similar to the surrounding stitches.
Good Luck! :shamrock: :shamrock: :shamrock: :shamrock:
Rose

Post by Rose »

I know that Agi had a hole that she repaired but I can't seem to find the post she made about it. :x

As for frogging I don't use scissors I use a needle and work the thread out one stitch at a time. But that is just me. :neutral:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Rose wrote: As for frogging I don't use scissors I use a needle and work the thread out one stitch at a time. But that is just me. :neutral:
That's how I do it also. Learned the hard way a long time ago. Which is another reason I like tent stitching. Not only takes half the time to stitch, but half the time to :ribbit: :roll:

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

I also frog using a needle and cut the excess of floss when it start to get tangled. I never had this problem happening but I think that taking a strand off the side and weaving the strands back in would work if the strand to replace is not yet covered with any stitches.. :thinks: :thinks:
rcperryls wrote: Which is another reason I like tent stitching. Not only takes half the time to stitch, but half the time to :ribbit: :roll:
Carole
:dance
Carole, I meant to try tent stitching soon and you just gave me a great push in that direction :lol:
Last edited by Oriettait on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
Heidi

Post by Heidi »

Sorry to hear that you have a hole. I argue with MaggieM1750 advice. Hope you are able to fix it. I general :anotherfrog: with a needle.

Good Luck :shamrock: :shamrock: :shamrock:
WIP:
A Pair of Shoes - Van Gogh (10%)

Completed projects:
Sweet Dreams by Me to You - Tatty Teddy
Emerald Mermaid by Nora Corbett
Hoot Owls - Baby Sleeps Here
Angel Proclamation by Nora Corbett
Mini HAED Rose By Rachel Anderson
karenstitches

Post by karenstitches »

Thanks, everyone! Well, I attempted to patch, but I could tell I wasn't going to be satisfied with the bulk in the back, especially since the hole happened near the center of the piece. So I shall be starting over with a new piece of fabric. But that's okay. 8)

As for frogging, I have learned my lesson. Only frog with a needle.
Karen
geekishly

Post by geekishly »

if you must frog by cutting rather than by pulling with a needle, using a seam ripper one stitch at a time works well and is highly unlikely to cut a hole in your fabric. Usually when I use the seam ripper I pick a stitch in the middle of the section I need to frog so that I can unpick in both directions and have enough of a tail to tuck with to secure the ends.
- Brandi

WIPs
Joan Elliot's "Grace"
"Sephina's Secret" by Illustrated Ink
Small Projects - Belle & Boo girl w/dove

my blog
malida02

Post by malida02 »

c'est désolant ce qui t'arrive ! j'ai peut être une solution mais comment te l'expliquer alors que mon anglais n'est pas très bon, je vais te le dire en français puis je collerai la traduction dessous.
tu commences par défaire ta broderie sur 5 ou 6 points tout autour du trou.
tu découpes une pièce de la taille libérée : le trou plus tout autour sur 4 points environ.
ensuite tu rebrodes ce que tu as défait plus ce qui doit aller sur le trou (maintenant bouché). et si tu as bien appliqué ta pièce, tu vas tomber juste.
une fois finie, ta réparation ne devrait pas se voir ou très peu.

It is distressing what arrives at you! I have can be a solution but how explain it to you while my English is not very good, I am going to say to it to you in French then I shall stick the translation below.
You begin by undoing your embroidery on 5 or 6 points everything around the hole.
You cut a room(part,play) of the freed(released) size: the hole more any goshawk on approximately 4 points.
Then you re-embroider that you undid more what has to go on the hole (now filled(blocked)). And if you applied well your room(part,play), you are just going to fall.
Once finished, your repair should not see itself or very little.

j'ai honte d'être aussi nulle en anglais. :oops:
tous mes voeux !
ps what is a frog ? frogging ?

To undo points it is better to use the needle, never of scissors or unstitches fast!
karenstitches

Post by karenstitches »

Thanks, Malida. A "frog" or "frogging" means undoing stitches due to a mistake. It's called "frogging" because we "rip it"--a term that sounds a lot a frog's actual sound or croak.
wwdiva

Post by wwdiva »

http://www.123stitch.com/cgi-perl/itemd ... em=123-107
Sorry to hear about your frogging disaster!!
Depending on what, where and when I discover my mistake, I either you a needle or a pair of hooked scissors like these above.
Work great
Cheers :wine:
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

karenstitches wrote:Thanks, Malida. A "frog" or "frogging" means undoing stitches due to a mistake. It's called "frogging" because we "rip it"--a term that sounds a lot a frog's actual sound or croak.
Frogging is a silly term really as it only works if you are an English speaker as onomatopoeia is different in every language. I remember having this conversation on another forum as one member was stumped as to what frogging meant, she was Hungarian and in her language frogs say "brek! brek!" so no wonder she couldn't see the connection!
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
malida02

Post by malida02 »

thanks for info !
here the frog makes : "croa croa" ! lol

borring that you have to begin again everything! Good luck!

But you understood the main part: never of scissors but the needle!
:D
malida02

Post by malida02 »

wwdiva wrote:http://www.123stitch.com/cgi-perl/itemd ... em=123-107
Sorry to hear about your frogging disaster!!
Depending on what, where and when I discover my mistake, I either you a needle or a pair of hooked scissors like these above.
Work great
Cheers :wine:
tout de même risqué ! lol

All the same risked! Lol
malida02

Post by malida02 »

Rose wrote:I know that Agi had a hole that she repaired but I can't seem to find the post she made about it. :x

As for frogging I don't use scissors I use a needle and work the thread out one stitch at a time. But that is just me. :neutral:

I does not take risk, me too I use only the needle! :)
Naritaxxx

Post by Naritaxxx »

My most favorite (and easy) way to frog is using a tool called a "Surgical Seam Ripper" I will post a link to Amazon here so you can see what I'm talking about.
The best part is that the tip is curved and you can quite easily slip it under your stitches.

I've NEVER cut my fabric using it.

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Guides-Kathy ... eam+ripper" target="_blank

One day I was sitting outside and stitching while using my clamp on magnifier. I was not thinking of the lessons from childhood that the sun could start a FIRE. uhoh... Working on a very large piece (Chatelaine is my favorite designer) is burned a hole in my nearly finished 22"x22" design. Lucky for me, it burned through a stitched area. I was able to snip a tiny piece from the corner, stitch it to the cover the hole and then redid the stitching. Its hardley noticeable.

Hopefully you can fix yours or hopefully you havent stitched too very much yet.

~Narita
http://thetwilightthread.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
ljs1953

Post by ljs1953 »

Ugh! What an unlucky thing to happen. I frog either using my needle, a seam ripper or if it's a bit more frogging, I use a pair of embroidery scissors with a sharp point and cut only every other top thread. The scissors frog the fastest.
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

that is a good one to remember about magnifier!! :applesauce:
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait