Advice for buying a Cross Stitch Frame

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Bearstich

Advice for buying a Cross Stitch Frame

Post by Bearstich »

Dear Stitchers,
I am new to Cross Stitching and have completed three projects. This is a hobby I plan sticking to, so i don't mind spending some money on a nice frame that will last me a long time. The first three projects I have stitched i used a hoop. It was okay, but i dislike the hoop marks. Even when I took the hoop off right after stitching i still saw the marks.

I would like to start stitching on a frame. I have been looking for one for quite some time. As i do not have a cross stitch store where I live, I have been searching around online. I have found a frame that I might purchase. Because i don't like stitching at a table, it is a frame that i can place on my lap. The frame I'm thinking about buying is called "Images Stitchery Design The Doodler Stitch Frame", and can be found on amazon.

Before I make this purchase I would like to read your opinions. Is their a specific frame that you have that you love to stitch with? What do you think of the frame I mentioned above?

Thank You for helping
Warm Regards,
Bearstich
Arianwen

Re: Advice for buying a Cross Stitch Frame

Post by Arianwen »

Personally I use hoops or Qsnaps to stitch with. Yes they leave marks sometimes but considering that I always wash and iron my stitching when I have finished it, its not a problem, they always come out. And I usually leave my stitching on the frame until I finish it.

I've not come across that frame before but the reviews look good. You will only know if it works for you by trying it out. I don't get on with scroll frames (this is a type of scroll frame) so I don't think this will work for me
Current WIP's

HAED What Lies beneath Dakota Daetwiler
Disney Dreams The little mermaid / Fantasia by MCG textiles/Thomas kinkade

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
Heather Mulberry Silk in 'Gladys
Reta

Post by Reta »

I use these

http://www.sewandso.co.uk/Easy-Clip-Frames" target="_blank

with this

http://www.sewandso.co.uk/ran1170-0.html" target="_blank
littleturtlegirl

Post by littleturtlegirl »

I had a hard time deciding also. So I searched around on the forum and setted on getting this one and I love it:
http://www.123stitch.com/item/American- ... /ADP-LS001" target="_blank

I also like Q-Snaps.
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

There are lots of different hoop/ frame options- almost as many as floss storage. Everyone seems to go through a bit of trial and error to find what works best for them.

I use either Q Snap frames.. 8x8, or 8x11 most often.
Or I use a 4" Spring or Tension hoop.

And like Arianwen.. I leave projects on my Snaps for the duration of the project and then wash and iron when I am finished with them, so any marks are gone after I am done ironing.

The only time I don't wash at the end is when working with overdyed floss. Projects with straight, standard, regular DMC I've never had any problems washing.

Welcome to your new hobby- and to the forum.
Happy stitching- and Happy shopping!
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

I use a lapstand scroll frame.I'm lucky as my son made me some and so did DH.
I have seen pics of the doodler frame and it looks great.I would check out as many online stitching stores as you can as prices very greatly.
Hoops and Qsnaps make my hands ache so I never use them.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I haven't used that Doodler Stitch frame, but my LNS sold them and I took a look at them when I was in the store one day. The good thing about the frame is that the side bars and stand are one piece. The bad thing is that the side bars and stand are one piece. :) Yes, I said the same thing is good and bad because I could make arguments for either way. It wouldn't work for me because I frequently change the length of the side bars while I'm working on a project. I use the extender bars with multiple holes. I'll start the project with the rods in the 8-inch position and before I'm done, I'll have moved the rods to the 10- or 12-inch position. It's easy to change the length and I'll move them to make things more comfortable for me to work. Also that Doodler Stitch frame would make it awkward for me to get to the back of the project. It rolls the wrong way and then the legs would be in my way when I tried to anchor my thread.

I use Tomorrow's Treasures scroll frames and stands from American Dream Products.
Floor stand: http://www.adp-usa.com/product.aspx?pag ... rodid=1568" target="_blank
and lap stand:
http://www.adp-usa.com/product.aspx?pag ... rodid=1517" target="_blank
I sit in a big ol' recliner and straddle the lap stand across the chair.

Maggie is right, though. Most of us ended up trying a few different frames and stands before we settled on what works best for each of us. It's a very individual decision.

WIP
fccs

Post by fccs »

I use hoops, qsnaps, scroll frames, and strercher bars, and sometimes I stitch in hand. It all dependemon the project and fabric size.

I haven't seen the Doodler frames in person, but it looks like a good frame and gets good reviews. I would make sure, of course, that you will normally be working on fabric that meets the size limitations given.

One question I have is what part rests on your lap. If it is the bottom horizontal scroll, I would be concerned with wear on your fabric. If it is the two "!egs" I would be concerned with how you would balance it on your legs. My lap stands have solid bottoms and clamp type holders for frames.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

I tried a bunch of frames/hoops on recommendations but ultimately found what works for me is not necessarily what works for others.

I like drum tight tension that does not loosen off when I stitch but no marks on my fabric. Ultimately I settled with scroll frames that use basting and a nutt and washer to tighten - even then I made my own because commercial ones all seem to loosen off and be hard to get really tight.

I use hoops for small/quick projects (spring hardanger hoops) or I have one larger hoop which is a very wide plastic hoop (it's just under an inch) that I like too but rarely use it these days as I prefer scroll frames.

I have just invested in the Millenium frame based on recommendations and the science seems sound but have yet to try it out. It attracts me because it's easier than basting the fabric on.
Myst..
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

As other I also went through different trial and errors before settling with a configuration that work for me.
I work on medium-large project and I am very happy using q-snap 11x17
14x14 or 11x11 and this floor stand http://www.sewandso.co.uk/ran1170-0.html" target="_blank
The q-snap does not mark the fabric, it has, and keep, a very tight tension and I can move it around when I work on the different areas of the project.
The stand is made of wood, light weighted, cheap, and does not "trap" my frame so I can move it or get to the back easily.
I tried scroll rod but could not deal with the lack of tension, I also tried a lap stand that had a ledge you put under your leg but could not use it because it didnt go well with my tender sciatic nerve..
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

I'm a fan of the Millenium frame. Yes, it is designed to be used with a stand, but I use it in hand, propping one corner against the arm rest of my chair as I stitch. It's not ideal but I don't have the space for a stand right now, and any frame I bought I'd have to hold.. and atleast with the millenium, I can get my fabric absolutely taut. It's not cheap.. but I expect this frame to last me many many years so it was a worthwhile investment.. or rather it would have been had I bought it myself. I was lucky enough to have gotten it as a birthday gift from some very good friends!
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
fccs

Post by fccs »

NeedleAndFork wrote:I was lucky enough to have gotten it as a birthday gift from some very good friends!
I want your friends. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

fccs wrote:
NeedleAndFork wrote:I was lucky enough to have gotten it as a birthday gift from some very good friends!
I want your friends. :-)
Heh.. they are pretty awesome. When they went to Ireland a few years ago they asked me what I wanted from there.. I said either some irish yarn or a bit of fleece to spin my own yarn.. expecting to get a small bit - 4 - 8 oz is a standard amount for a batch when sold for spinners. I got an entire sheep's fleece (cleaned but unprocessed) for Christmas that year. It literally filled an entire trash bag! I don't even want to know hwo they got it back home! One of these days I'll comb it out spin it up and make myself an irish cabled sweater out out of it.. if I ever move to a place that gets cold enough to wear sweaters that is!
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I've tried hoops, but i never found it very comfortable to work with them. These days i use plastic sort of clip on frames. The brand i use is called superframe, but i can't seem to find that on amazon. but this link shows the same sort of product
http://www.sewandso.co.uk/ran549-0.html
Others have already mentioned it above me aswell. I find it quite a struggle to unclip the clips (a tip i found was to put a thick towel in the frame first for a day or two, to make the frame a little less tight), but once you got your cloth in there its very nice to work with and not too heavy. They come in a couple of stock sizes but are interchangable so you can sort of make whatever size you need if you have a few different sets (at least this is the case with the Superframe ones).
You already had lots of tips but i hope mine helped a little aswell. Sorry if its a bit confusing, i sometimes struggle a bit with my english. :oops:
Pauline
Trylla

Post by Trylla »

I've tried no baste scroll frames but found the tension to be not as tight as I like. I like the tension on Q-snaps and have several sizes for many of my smaller projects. I find they are good for travelling.

My ultimate favourite now though is the Millenium frame. Easy to secure fabric on and off, plus drum-tight tension. I love them so much that over the last year or so I've bought 3 full Millenium frames, plus 2 more lengths of bars (12", 16" x2, 20" x2, and 24"), the floor stand, the lap stand, and the Little Wizard for itty bitty projects. Just last week I ordered 2 more full frames in 20" and 24". While it is easy to change fabrics on these frames, I'm lazy and I really like to switch between projects frequently. It is a huge investment, but I will never again have to buy frames. These will last the rest of my life.
Trylla
WIP
Drama Queen - custom chart (skitzzzzz)

My Blog