Pencader Wales Uk, with onset Agoraphobia

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Fizzle

Pencader Wales Uk, with onset Agoraphobia

Post by Fizzle »

Hi

I am new to this forum, have done cross stitch for many years although not touched it for the last 5-6 yrs, I find it practically impossible to leave my house but with the encouragement of my husband began looking for stitchery clubs in the local area to try to go to, ( I recently managed a meditation class all by myself as I could park close to the entrance) however I find that I cannot find anything. A lifetime ago I spent three years in the North West of Canada and was in heaven as I could easily find classes for all sorts of stitchery etc plus people met together as well.

Does anyone know of anything? you all sound so far away and I am just getting back into my crafts so I am not doing fancy designer stitching so I am not sure how to deal with an online forums. I am awkward around people, so if this posting is awkward, its just cos i dont speak to many people.

Heres hoping I dont offend
rcperryls

Re: Pencader Wales Uk, with onset Agoraphobia

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello Fizzle and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! You have most definitely found the right place if you are looking for the most friendly group of stitchers around! I can't tell you anything about stitching groups in Wales, but I do understand your need to find one. My group has been gone for over a year now and I miss it very much. We, on the forum, have a really wide variety of stitchers from those new to the craft and those who have been stitching for years. Different areas of interest, all levels of skill and knowledge. We love to encourage and motivate each other. I hope that you will post pictures of your projects. We love pictures! Feel free to ask any questions you may have, whether it is about stitching or the forum. Someone here will either know the answer or know where to go to find the answer. Looking forward to getting to know you!

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Hi Fizzle and Welcome from me too. I do hope you can find a group to go to soon as it is a big help. I am blessed to have an embroidery group which meets twice a month at my local library. Perhaps you could check at your library to see if there is anything in your area. Just a thought for you to mull over.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
fccs

Post by fccs »

Hello from snowy Colorado and welcome to the forum. I hope you can find a group (I wish I had one near me!), but I also hope you'll stick around the forum. This is a very friendly, low-key place and I really hope you'll feel comfortable here. It's not the same as having an actual stitching circle, but we share the love of stitching and the talking-about-the-stitching.

Your post was fine, so please don't worry about that, you did a great job. And don't worry about not stitching fancy designer projects...you'll see there are all levels of stitchers here and a huge variety of preferences. I firmly believe that the size or intricacy of a project doesn't matter; all that matters is that you enjoy every stitch.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
BexVM

Post by BexVM »

Hi, I'm new too!

I can't get out much as I am disabled. I live in the middle of nowhere in Aberdeenshire. There are some clubs nearby but for quilting and one in the local golf club, which you have to be a member to join. So I have just set up my own club, it's starting Wednesday, so I hope it works out. Perhaps you could do something similar? But if you agoraphobic, would you like people in your home? Or would actually getting out a little be beneficial for you? Maybe they have a Woman's Institute near you or a Church group that does a club?

Please let us know how you get on!

Bex x
Talinellana

Post by Talinellana »

Welcome Fizzle from Perth Western Australia! No one will be offended, we're all very different and have different tastes and we're all at different points in our cross stitching journey and that seems to be accepted with open arms on this forum which is great. Hope you find what you're looking for in "real life" but we'd love to see what you're working on at the moment, have no fear of negativity or judgement or worry that you sound awkward, you sound fine! :)
Deni

WIP
(Adopted) Secret Santa
HAED Mini Autumns Promise
Dimensions Butterfly Forest

Up Coming
Twisted Band Sampler
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

Welcome from Oklahoma! I stitch mostly smaller (5x7) kits on aida. I do kit up a kit on my own now and then, but always somewhat simple charts. So glad you are joining us and I hope you are able to find a group near you as well!
Fizzle

Post by Fizzle »

Hi

Thank you all for such a wonderful welcome, It was quite heartwarming.

Hubby has suggested setting up my own circle, but that will have to wait as 'people' are my main problem lol but one way or the other i will get there. even if it is just to re introduce people to a wonderful pastime that I feel is getting forgotten in Wales, of course I may have moved by the time I am capable lol.

Getting out is the first step. so I will work on that and enjoy the stitching crown here as you all sound like great people.

I will keep an eye on the board, especially as I have some chart booklets that I want to get rid of and so can let people know just in case they are interested.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Welcome from SW France. :wave: 8)
What a pretty part of Wales you live in! :D I 'Googled' Pencader. 8) I remember taking our caravan to Carmarthen when our daughter was a teenager as we lived in the Bristol area and Wales was such an easy place to visit! :D

I hope you can get that first step made....stitching can be a great conversation starter. When the weather gets warmer, could you sit out in your garden? If you make that first step, perhaps the front garden where people passing may stop and chat?
I've found that stitching in a public place brings comments and perhaps a friendship.

Good Luck!!

Of course ...you already made the step towards new friendships!!! This Forum is Perfect for chatting without fear, asking questions and there's always someone who knows the answer. Also showing what you've made and stitched. We may not always like the same things ( I personally am not keen on Mystic or Fairies and I don't like heart designs) but we can admire the intricate and detailed work involved in the creation of beautiful stitching!
You can also learn new techniques, things you may have admired but not dared to do. :D
mouselady

Post by mouselady »

Welcome! This is such a fun and friendly forum, I know you will enjoy being here.

I've only been stitching for a year, so I have learned so much from so many different people. I have posted some questions that must have seemed really silly and basic to the more experienced members, but no one made me feel silly. Everyone is so helpful and welcoming.

And everyone really does love to see pictures, especially me, so please post your work!
Desiree

WIP:
Lobo - HAED
Faces of Joan Elliot SAL
Friendly Felines

2016 Finishes:
Joan Elliot Birth Announcement
Flower of the Month - July
12 Days of Christmas
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

lillybit

Post by lillybit »

Welcome from Whanganui New Zealand. My lack of embroidery groups is a little different from yours. I suffered a brain injury in 1991 and have a problem with noise. Not the volume - I still like my rock music loud but my problem is when there are multiple sources of noise such as several conversations running at the same time or background music plus conversations so socially I'm a disaster. I've joined a couple of groups when they were small groups but most aim to grow and as they have I've had to retreat. I can never sort out which conversation I'm in and that makes me angry and it requires a lot of focus to control that anger so it becomes easier to just stay home and stitch alone.
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

Welcome from Queensland Australia.You will get a lot of help and support from this BB.There are so many talented and helpful people here.Plus they will lead you astray with news of new designs etc.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Hello & welcome from North Wales. Glad you are back to stitching Fizzle. Everyone on here is very friendly & most helpful so do not feel afraid to ask anything. It must be awful to have agoraphobia but I do hope you can overcome it, if only in small steps, & you have made a start haven't you? Good for you :D I suffer with depression & since joining this forum I have felt much more confident & am getting on better with my x-stitch. We all help one another on here. I have quickly scanned a few replies as my ISP is unreliable at the moment due to strong winds! A good idea from wendywombat about stitching outside especially where people pass by. :D Hope to see you on here again joining in & if possible photos of your work. :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
Fizzle

Post by Fizzle »

Hi

just a quick update for all you welcoming people

i found a place to go with cross stitch, its for the over 50's and it can also be knitting and crochet but its a small step in the right directions

my first time to go is Monday morning so heres hoping i make it through the door. lol
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

I'm so glad you found a place where you can go stitch! I almost suggested that you might be able to find a group that included multiple crafts.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Fizzle wrote:Hi

just a quick update for all you welcoming people

i found a place to go with cross stitch, its for the over 50's and it can also be knitting and crochet but its a small step in the right directions

my first time to go is Monday morning so heres hoping i make it through the door. lol
To (mis-)quote Neil Armstrong...

"That's one small step for a Stitcher, one giant leap for Fizzie" :D :stitching: :stitching:

:shamrock: :x: Good Luck and Be Brave!! You could have a lot of fun and you don't have to stay longer than you feel you can!
Tia

Post by Tia »

Hello from West Virginia! :wave: So glad to hear you found a group to join.

I too am socially awkward. I stepped out a few years ago and joined a knitting group. Soooo glad I did, I've made some wonderful friends. In fact, today I'm meeting with a couple of them and we're going to Baltimore to visit some yarn shops and an embroidery shop. :dance:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: I'm so glad that you found a group. Let us know how it goes for you. I'm gonna have to start searching for a craft group of some kind since my stitching group disbanded. You are giving me motivation to rev up my searching.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Great that you have found a small group & hope you enjoy it. Let us know how you get on. That is a big step for you & it is good you are progressing. Well done, let us see what you stitch please :D Before you know it you will progress in leaps & bounds in your stitching as well as with the agoraphobia. Go for it, you can do it :whoop:
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them