getting a glitter affect on fabric

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Peepfaleep

getting a glitter affect on fabric

Post by Peepfaleep »

Is there a spray thay anyone knows of that will safely add that "sparkle" affect to your fabric? The pieces I want to stitch will not be washed.
Rose

Re: getting a glitter affect on fabric

Post by Rose »

There are many fabrics that have a glitter already added to the fabric and you do not have to worry about it washing or rubbing off.

This site has many http://www.picturethisplus.com/" target="_blank as does http://www.123stitch.com/links.html" target="_blank
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

As Rose said, there are quite a few fabrics that come already glittered, but I'm guessing you already have the fabric and want to add glitter to it. I haven't done this myself, so I can't vouch for the information, but I'll pass along what I've been told.

You'll probably have to wash the fabric first to wash out the sizing before you apply the glitter product. Of all the products that I'm aware of, there is a similar complaint in that the nozzle clogs like crazy (some worse than others), so read up on how to clear the nozzle before you start. Krylon makes a Glitter Blast in a clear spray (they have a lot of colored sprays, too, but you'll likely want the clear one) that I've heard the least complaints about and knowing how you want to use it, what some folks complain about might be a good thing for you (glitter coating is light so they have to apply multiple layers to get complete coverage, whereas you want a light coat for your fabric.) Thermo Web makes a Glitter Dust spray that I've heard mixed reviews about. Tulip makes a Glitter Spray that I hear a lot of grumbling about, not only the nozzle clogging but with glopping and spotting. The Krylon Glitter Blast is acid-free, which is a good thing if you're going to use it on your fabric. The other products might also be acid-free but I don't know about them.

I don't know how the sprays will hold up to handling. They're supposed to be able to be used to decorate T-shirts and such, so that might not be a concern. You'll have to experiment to see if you can spray the fabric and then put it in a hoop or Q-Snap without the glitter rubbing off. You might need to use a frame large enough to accommodate the design or maybe a scroll frame and in any case, I'd stitch in-the-well to avoid handling the front-side of the fabric.

WIP
Peepfaleep

Post by Peepfaleep »

I'll try the Krylon. I also heard about a product called Glimmer Mist (scrapbookers use it so I believe it to be acid free) I have several pieces of fabric that I wanted to glitter. I've seen the opalescent fabrics but they can be quite pricey. I usually buy them for my bigger, more detailed projects. For these smaller stitches, I wanted to try the glitter out.

THANKS! Off to Michaels
fccs

Post by fccs »

Let us know how the DIY glitter goes.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

fccs wrote:Let us know how the DIY glitter goes.
Oh absolutely! We want a report! :D

WIP
Rose

Post by Rose »

Peepfaleep wrote:I'll try the Krylon. I also heard about a product called Glimmer Mist (scrapbookers use it so I believe it to be acid free) I have several pieces of fabric that I wanted to glitter. I've seen the opalescent fabrics but they can be quite pricey. I usually buy them for my bigger, more detailed projects. For these smaller stitches, I wanted to try the glitter out.

THANKS! Off to Michaels

Oh I see that is a good idea if you can find a product that will work for you. Glad the forum could help you out. :dance: I too hope to see some pictures of the results.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Peepfaleep wrote:I'll try the Krylon. I also heard about a product called Glimmer Mist (scrapbookers use it so I believe it to be acid free) I have several pieces of fabric that I wanted to glitter. I've seen the opalescent fabrics but they can be quite pricey. I usually buy them for my bigger, more detailed projects. For these smaller stitches, I wanted to try the glitter out.

THANKS! Off to Michaels

Oh I see that is a good idea if you can find a product that will work for you. Glad the forum could help you out. :dance: I too hope to see some pictures of the results.