What is the best brand for metallic thread?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

roo_bear

What is the best brand for metallic thread?

Post by roo_bear »

Its that time of year again starting to think about Christmas stitching. What I would like to know is what brand of metallic thread would you all recommend. I had some Madeira free with a magazine last year and it was just awful, even after using thread heaven from a recommendation on here it still would not stay in one piece it kept breaking and shredding and it was a nightmare to thread on the needle. Can anyone recommend an easier one to get this year. Would really like to make some lovely cards for family and friends but I gave up after 3 gift tags last time cos it took so long.
rcperryls

Re: What is the best brand for metallic thread?

Post by rcperryls »

There are a wide variety of different Kreinik brand metallic threads. #4 Braid is used in a lot of cross stitching and I have used the blending filament in a lot of patterns (usually 1 or 2 strands of the Kreinik with 1 or 2 strands of DMC). You can see them at 123Stitch.com. I have recently used, on recommendation from forum members, Rainbow Blending Thread by Glisten Gloss and found it fairly easy to use. I find that if I use shorter strands it is easier to stitch with. In general, I stay away from most of the DMC metallic threads. They look pretty in the skeins but I think they are hard to work with.

I am impressed that you are thinking about this now. I usually find myself saying something like OMG its Thanksgiving, how am I going to stitch 111 Hardinger pieces for coasters for Xmas presents! :tizzy:

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
roo_bear

Re: What is the best brand for metallic thread?

Post by roo_bear »

Thanks for the reply. I am a very slow stitcher, so have to think early.