What's your favourite count of fabric to work on?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

What count of fabric do you prefer to work with?

<11 ct
No votes
11 ct
No votes
14 ct
16%
16 ct
16%
18 ct
21%
22 ct
5%
24 ct
5%
28 ct
21%
>28 ct
16%

Total votes: 19

TheOtherDrew

What's your favourite count of fabric to work on?

Post by TheOtherDrew »

I seem to prefer 14 ct aida. I also like both 11 ct & 16 ct. The 11 ct because of how quickly even a fairly large design seems to appear & 16 ct for the additional detail. I've noticed quite a few of you seem to prefer much higher count (18, 22, 28, more?) So I decided to post a poll.
Allyn

Re: What's your favourite count of fabric to work on?

Post by Allyn »

It all depends on what I'm doing. For samplers and other 'traditional' pieces, I like to use 32-count if I can or 28 count if the count makes the overall size better (like if I want the finished piece to be just a little bit bigger).

For solid-stitched pieces, alot depends on what size I want the finished piece to be. I don't want to go lower than 18-count aida -- 20 or 22 count is better. If size doesn't matter, I'll go with 25 count over-1 (which isn't even in the poll list). If I want it really small, 40-count over-1 is doable. I probably haven't used anything lower than 18 count in a couple of decades; I like small stitches.

Sorry, I didn't do the poll. There are too many factors involved to pick just one count.

WIP
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

Hmmm, the one I find the easiest is 14 ct, or 28 ct over 2 if the design calls for a finer fabric. Anything higher than 32 drives me nuts.
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
fccs

Post by fccs »

I voted for 28 but I also love 32 and 18. For me it all depends on the design.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

I almost always prefer 32 ct linen but also enjoy 16 or 18 ct aida. Having said that, I will stitch on almost any count.
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

cairee

Post by cairee »

32ct hands down favourite for cross stitch. 2 over 1 tent or 1 over 1 full cross. that said I like 28, 36, 40 and higher as well. Highest Ive used is 48 silk gauze, I want to try 60ct. I like 18ct sometimes, especially for 2 over 1 with blends

I dont like 16ct and lower at all. and I dont like 25ct for cross stitch, but for Hardanger its my go-to fabric
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

:oops:
Don't know. Not enough experience.

Prior to coming here I thought 18ct was unbelievably tiny and had only used 14ct. Now I have used 32ct linen (2 over 2), 28ct and 25ct (both 2 over 1 tent), but that is the limit of my experience. Not enough to have formed a strong preference; Except that I don't want to go back to 14ct or coarser.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

For Hardanger, 25ct which is not in your list :-)
Otherwise, whatever suits the project I'm working on, which could be anything from 14ct to 60ct to non-count
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Yeah, I clicked 24ct to stand in for 25ct. For hardanger and even regular cross-stitching. I do use a lot of 22ct and 28ct as well, and even 14 Aida from time to time; I can just about see to stitch on 36ct. Depends what I want to achieve, of course. Thank goodness for the variety!
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

I like 14 for ease of stitching, & have done most on that size, but 18 makes a nicer finished picture although not as easy to stitch. So I've chosen 16 as it is in between, closer stitch than 14 but still gives a nice finish. Have only done 2 on 18 ct but several on 16.
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I like 28 count evenweave, 2 over2 I know that 14 count Aida gives the same size result , but I hate 14 count Aida :tantrum: It's too 'chunky' If a kit comes with that I change it out for 28 count. Consequently I seem to have a drawer full of 14!!! :lol:
finer counts of Aida are fine. 22 is great for Hardanger and I, too, like 25 count for that too.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

An interesting poll this one. My big favourite was always 28ct evenweave, but with ongoing eyesight problems 18 ct aida is easier to work with. The joys of getting older - one has to change to another favourite almost forgotten fabric.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

My favorite is 28 ct 2 over 1 tent stitching. For years I stitched on 18ct Afghan fabric and loved it. The smallest I ever stitched on was 32 ct one over one but that was years ago when my eyesight was much better and I didn't know you could stitch over two :oops:. I also like 25 ct and 22 count for Hardanger. I don't generally like anything that is less than 18 ct but that may be because I don't like the feel of Aida and I don't know that I have ever seen an evenweave in anything lower than 18 ct Afghan fabric, though I would guess it probably is around somewhere. Extra light and magnifiers have made the larger counts easier to work on.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

Most of what I have stitched is on 14 aida, although I have done some on 18 count. I've never used an even weave although I do have some in my stash.
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

I think it all depends on the design too. Certain patterns ask for different things. I hate trying fractional stitches on Aida, and sometimes you're stitching something simple that you know will go quicker on Aida. I love varying what I'm working on.

My stash is mostly comprised of 14, 16 and 18 ct Aida, and then 25, 28 and 32 ct evenweave.
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
seedreemer

Post by seedreemer »

In general I stick to either 18-ct Aida or 32-ct linen, with the Aida being my favorite to stitch on and the linen being my favorite to look at. :D