Outlander

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

fiddler

Outlander

Post by fiddler »

Has anyone watched Amazons Outlander series and what did you think. The series is now available over here to buy or to rent on Love film. I love the series of Diana Gabaldon books,have read them all I am wondering if I will be disappointed as some times they change the story to suit. Be interested to know what you think. Love Ann
wendywombat

Re: Outlander

Post by wendywombat »

I've read the books, except for the latest one.
I have a picture in my head about how the characters look and when I saw the photos of the actors I decided then Not to watch! I thought that Claire looked too young and she's older than Jamie in the books.

So enjoyed the books, but I've read enough now so won't be buying the latest as I feel it's reached 'formula writing'. Shame, but think it's lost it's way! :doh: :(
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I read several books in the series when it first came out and enjoyed them, but for some reason never got "hooked". My sister loves the tv show and records them so she never misses one. She didn't read the books though so I don't know if that makes a difference. I know that isn't much help. It runs on one of the cable networks here.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
agent_clone

Post by agent_clone »

I've read the first 4 books, and a significant part of the 5th. Admittedly its been a while since I read any of them so I can't really tell you what is and isn't missing, and whats been changed. I mostly enjoyed the tv series, however I think it's something that you have to be in the mood to watch. I borrowed the dvd's off a friend and wanted to watch them sooner rather than later and I was obviously in a better mood for the second half of the series because I enjoyed watching that more. I also think its the style of book where I prefer to read the book rather than watch a TV series, however this is a personal preference (often things that have violence I would rather read than watch).

The friend who I borrowed the DVD's off watched the series before reading the first book up to the third (borrowed from me). She love the series but she was also irritated by the actress who played Claire, and apparently that ruined the books for her. She also had issues with the Scottish accent and watched it with subtitles on.
Curent WIP:
The Butterfly Ball
Mini Heaven On Earth
Mini Japan Garden

Finishes:
Kitten Fairy on Mushroom (2015-12-31)
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

I have ordered the DVD´s from Amazon but at the moment I am reading the third book. Can anyone tell me how many of the books the first series covers because I do not want to watch it on DVD before reading?

Rosemary
I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
agent_clone

Post by agent_clone »

Series 1 covers the first book.
Curent WIP:
The Butterfly Ball
Mini Heaven On Earth
Mini Japan Garden

Finishes:
Kitten Fairy on Mushroom (2015-12-31)
Emmylou

Post by Emmylou »

The story in the TV series follows the books quite well, there are some parts that don't. For example, I don't like how the tv series made Jenny out to be...I don't remember her being that malicious in the first book. It's one book per series :)
Emma Louise
http://emmystitches.com/
Cochonou14 on HAED BB

WIP
Wedding sampler
Café de Paris
HAED TT Kitten 2
Dimension's Travel Memories
HAED Mystic Garden
DMC's Vegetable Basket
HAED Mini Curl up with a good book
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

agent_clone wrote:The friend who I borrowed the DVD's off watched the series before reading the first book up to the third (borrowed from me). She love the series but she was also irritated by the actress who played Claire, and apparently that ruined the books for her. She also had issues with the Scottish accent and watched it with subtitles on.
:lol: :applesauce: :lol: :applesauce: :lol: I remember needing a translation for Bob Hoskins London accent in Mona Lisa! Robbie Coltraine -- nae bother!