Dimensions Gold Scarlet Wizard

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Talythia

Dimensions Gold Scarlet Wizard

Post by Talythia »

So, this fella is my next project. I tend to only really work on one at a time - my 'off-projects' tend to be knitting or something like that, a lot more portable than my current 70cm scroll frame! I'd love to get one of those plastic pipe frames some time, but that's for another time.

I started this project right after I finished Celtic Spring - on one hand it's a relief to be stitching on aida again and not linen, buuuut on the other hand it's 18 count black aida. Ow, my poor eyes! :shock:

I also can't seem to find thread that I can use for guide-lines. I used them on my last kit, Fall Fairy, and they were a godsend, but using normal sewing thread was a big mistake! One that I only discovered when the time came to take the guidelines out and I realised that I had pierced the thread whilst doing my stitches and it was a massive pain in the arse to remove! So I've been trying to find Gutermann sulky metallic nylon thread, which is made of a single strand of nylon and can't be pierced. This quest would be easier if I still lived in Scotland with easy access to a Hobbycraft store and not western Sweden *sigh* I'm soldiering on without it right now, and I haven't miscounted. Yet, eheh.

The kit's OK so far. It has a much better thread sorter than the one that came with Fall Fairy - it has holes and the floss is looped through, not stuck to the sorter by the ends and needed to be pulled off, with the colours that needed LOADS of strands coming with separate hanks. So, whew!

I'm cheating a little though - I scanned the pattern and stuck the pictures in a pdf so I can use the highlight tool to pick out all the symbols I'm currently working on, makes life much easier! I wish such patterns were available digitally and there was a program that could do the job, but oh well!

This is a couple of weeks' work - I'm a World of Warcraft player, so I have raiding taking up my stitching time :wink: I'm so glad there isn't too much white in this pattern though, it's done with 3 threads rather than 2, which means not only can I not use a single strand folded in two, the ends go very fluffy towards the end, urgh.

Onward to his nice red hat and robes! :whoop:
DisneyStitcher

Re: Dimensions Gold Scarlet Wizard

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Have you considered light weight fishing line? You can get 4lb or 6lb line and it will work just as well as the Sulky. It's going to look beautiful, btw.
Talythia

Post by Talythia »

DisneyStitcher wrote:Have you considered light weight fishing line? You can get 4lb or 6lb line and it will work just as well as the Sulky. It's going to look beautiful, btw.
I had thought about it, but I decided I'd be better off getting a flat filament rather than a round one. I need to get three strands of floss though the same hole multiple times in some places, and I didn't want to have to remove the lines until the project was up to the outlining stage :neutral:
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Very brave stitching on 18 count black!! :tizzy: :shock:

We shall be cheering you along with this!! :D
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Great start - and I hope you find the right gridding thread!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Really good start and I also am one who wishes you the best of luck in finding the gridding thread that will work for you. I am so used to gridding my fabrics that when I don't grid I feel lost, but I tend to stitch on light fabrics and use a washable pen. Not useful at all on black fabric.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
poppy

Post by poppy »

The finished piece will be wonderful. You have made good progress already. I think that I got my Sulky metallic nylon thread from e-bay. Gridding makes stitching much easier!
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

A really lovely update on this interesting design and I am looking forward to the next update
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Great start :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:

I've never tried gridding, I hope you find something suitable.

Can't wait to see the next update