Sew & So closed!!!!!

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mabel Figworthy

Sew & So closed!!!!!

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Just found out that after a temporary closure for a "change of ownership", they are now "closing our doors for a final time and the SewandSo website will no longer be taking orders". :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

They say that they are "securing a new home for you", but nobody seems to know what that means, as they'd only just had a change of ownership.

A sad day for all needleworkers, especially in the UK but many abroad as well :-(

PS the "read more" button on their home page doesn't seem to do anything
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Re: Sew & So closed!!!!!

Post by rcperryls »

That is so weird. And the brief explanation makes it even more mysterious. Is there anything similar that y'all can use? Hopefully their statement that they are "securing a new home for you" means the new owners are doing that. While I didn't order from them very often, they are, were, on my list of go to sites. It is a sad day for all stitchers, especially those of you across the big pond.

Carole
:(
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
mags

Post by mags »

So disappointed .... but sounds like they will be back in another form. Hope so :x:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

This is pretty disastrous, actually. Can't say I liked the pink makeover, but I could still find the things I needed. And I used it regularly as my online shop of first resort. :cry: It also begs the question: if SewandSo can't make it, what hope is there for the other outlets? :thinks:
Mabel Figworthy

Serinde, I actively disliked their new website and how you had to find things, and I certainly shopped less there because of it - only if I actually needed something, rather than have the occasional browse to treat myself. If others did the same, they may have shot themselves in the foot with that website. Plenty of people complained about it on their FB page, with specific examples of what they didn't like, but nothing was done about it.
But they were definitely the one-stop-shop for pretty much anything not too outrageously niche.

I was actually writing a FoF about suppliers changing hands and so on when I found out so I'll include a bit about S&S.
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

I may well be reading into things that are not really there but here goes.

I also read on FB about the closure and like you all I was disappointed. Had an e-mail from a company called Wool Warehouse who I have been buying wool from for a year or so and have always found them excellent. The message stated that they are now selling items for cross stitch and other stitching needs. Of course my brain immediately linked the two things but it may just be a coincidence.

Cannot wait to find out (if we ever do) if my thoughts are correct.

Rosemary
I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I wonder if it isn't another example of a company being bought by a larger one or a corporation that doesn't really understand the marketplace they have just gotten into and think that what has worked for them before (probably at a cheaper cost) will work now. So they proceed and then it doesn't work. Happens way too often. I just looked and it seems that F&W International Media has mostly been a publishing company, including craft books, but I don't know if that translates to a craft on line store. I guess we will find out in a few weeks if they really find a "new home".

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

RosemaryH wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:10 pm I may well be reading into things that are not really there but here goes.

I also read on FB about the closure and like you all I was disappointed. Had an e-mail from a company called Wool Warehouse who I have been buying wool from for a year or so and have always found them excellent. The message stated that they are now selling items for cross stitch and other stitching needs. Of course my brain immediately linked the two things but it may just be a coincidence.

Cannot wait to find out (if we ever do) if my thoughts are correct.

Rosemary
I went away and looked at Wool Warehouse -- I use it , too, for peg loom weaving materials. There it is... a whole new needlecraft section... Haven't examined the price structure yet, but the range of Zweigart 32ct linen is not too shabby.
Mabel Figworthy

Someone on FB recommended Tandem Cottage; I used to buy from them years ago and then they closed, but it seems they (or at least the name) are still going. A quick look showed a good selection of basics, though some types of thread didn't seem to come in the full range, and no speciality threads that I could see :-( . Will check out the Wool Warehouse.
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

Here is the website if anyone needs stash or simply to see what is available and their prices. I have nothing to do with the company apart from being a very satisfied customer.

www.woolwarehouse.co.uk

RosemaryH
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I've been buying my knitting wool from the wool warehouse for some years now and they are excellent :D
I noticed a few days ago that they had suddenly got a needlecraft section but though nothing of it. Had a quick look but as we were going to be away for a couple of days I did nothing else.
I was on the sewandsew website last week because I was interested in buying a Qsnaps or similar plastic frame . Each time I tried to get onto that page it kept shooting me back to the title page! :tantrum:
The "new site"was already driving me up the wall so I had been looking at alternatives Lakeland Needlecraft and Very Crafty are 2 I have bought from.

Do you know what? This comes as no surprise though as after they moved from Stroud HQ and went to Tewkesbury the whole site went downhill.

I will now go and look at Woolwarehouse again. They always have great bargains in knitting wool and it always comes in a nice reusable fabric bag.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Not to forget Willow Fabrics (www.willowfabrics.com)! They don't pretend to have everything, but I have always found them to be good and reliable. And West End Embroidery (http://www.westendembroidery.com) might not be the obvious place to look, but their selection of threads is good. And they are nice!
Mabel Figworthy

West End Embroidery are very helpful, I have found them so several times.
The lady at Tandem Cottage, whom I contacted because the Multicolor perle #8 I'd been trying to buy at Sew & So was actually cheaper at Tandem, but fewer shades, was equally helpful and understanding about wanting to combine postage etc - she'll contact me when the other colours are back in stock.
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Most strange. I only UK outlets if I absolutely have to due to the exchange rate. I find it much cheaper to use the US online sites if I can't get it easily here in Aus.
A big loss for sure.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

Oh no! I used sew and so all the time. They were so quick and had so much choice. That is very disappointing :(
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
fccs

Post by fccs »

They were my go-to for things I can’t get here. Their parent company filed bankruptcy and its many smaller pieces were auctioned off.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

wendywombat wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:03 pm I've been buying my knitting wool from the wool warehouse for some years now and they are excellent :D
I noticed a few days ago that they had suddenly got a needlecraft section but though nothing of it. Had a quick look but as we were going to be away for a couple of days I did nothing else.
I was on the sewandsew website last week because I was interested in buying a Qsnaps or similar plastic frame . Each time I tried to get onto that page it kept shooting me back to the title page! :tantrum:
The "new site"was already driving me up the wall so I had been looking at alternatives Lakeland Needlecraft and Very Crafty are 2 I have bought from.

Do you know what? This comes as no surprise though as after they moved from Stroud HQ and went to Tewkesbury the whole site went downhill.

I will now go and look at Woolwarehouse again. They always have great bargains in knitting wool and it always comes in a nice reusable fabric bag.
I placed another order for wool this morning and for the first time I noticed that you can refuse the organza bag if you do not wish to receive it. I would be amazed if anyone ever ticks that box because the bag is so useful.

Rosemary
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:lol: well I never do! I used one after changing the ribbon to give a hand made gift :wink:
helbel

Post by helbel »

Gah! I was right with my F&W Media thread in March then. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31595

The weaving and spinning magazines owned by the same company have been bought from the buyer of Interweave by the former editor, so I was hoping sewandso would have found a buyer as a going concern too. No idea where I'm going to get all my supplies now.