So good to get an update. I have been thinking about you both. At least the nursing home is another step on the way home. I hope it will be close to you, so it is easy to visit.
Need a lot of thoughts and prayers
Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex
- Fljotsdale
- Posts: 4251
- Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:52 pm
- Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom
Re: Need a lot of thoughts and prayers
Oh, Kerri.
So good to get an update. I have been thinking about you both. At least the nursing home is another step on the way home. I hope it will be close to you, so it is easy to visit.

So good to get an update. I have been thinking about you both. At least the nursing home is another step on the way home. I hope it will be close to you, so it is easy to visit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVDUTAn6Ttg" target="_blank"
Watch Leonard and the young singer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6JssTdnvw" target="_blank"
Cohen's son, Adam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiP3PkLoMdI" target="_blank
Watch Leonard and the young singer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6JssTdnvw" target="_blank"
Cohen's son, Adam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiP3PkLoMdI" target="_blank
Re: Need a lot of thoughts and prayers
Kerri, I only joined her 3 weeks ago, so this is the first I have been aware of this awful thing that has happened to your DH. I am so sorry, for the initial accident and for the long, hard road you have been on, and will be on for some time, by the sounds of what you are saying. Take care of yourself in the midst of all this. Will be thinking of you and praying for you both.
WIP
Cumbrian Village by R. Swalwell
UFOs
Christmas Sampler by Maria Diaz
Rose of Sharon by P. Vaughan
Celtic Christmas by L&L
Caim Sampler by W. McCabe
Moonlit Kitties by CMH
Pottery Hearts Afghan from CCS
Stonehearth Hutch by T. Kinkade
Cumbrian Village by R. Swalwell
UFOs
Christmas Sampler by Maria Diaz
Rose of Sharon by P. Vaughan
Celtic Christmas by L&L
Caim Sampler by W. McCabe
Moonlit Kitties by CMH
Pottery Hearts Afghan from CCS
Stonehearth Hutch by T. Kinkade
Re: Need a lot of thoughts and prayers
I think a move to a nursing home is a good thing - they will specialise in rehab hopefully and be able to move him on. All these things take time, it is a great healer even if it is a cliché.
You are all in my prayers and Reiki.
Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank
WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Re: Need a lot of thoughts and prayers
Thanks for the update! I pop in and check the Facebook page once in a while. So glad to hear that he's swallowing. His rehab is closer and closer every day! 
WIPs:
Cats! (last updated 3/29/12)
Random projects for baby (last updated 6/9/12)
Engagement photo (last updated 6/9/12)
Cats! (last updated 3/29/12)
Random projects for baby (last updated 6/9/12)
Engagement photo (last updated 6/9/12)
Re: Need a lot of thoughts and prayers
Glad of the update. Will be the nursing home be close by. Pryers with you both

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIP
Birds
Water Tiger
Millenium Sampler
Xmas stocking
2010 Finishes
Alphabet afghan
ATC 7&8
Egg swap
Forgotten Cart
KK/Kearbear cards
Sweet Dreams sampler
xmas Biscornu
WIP
Birds
Water Tiger
Millenium Sampler
Xmas stocking
2010 Finishes
Alphabet afghan
ATC 7&8
Egg swap
Forgotten Cart
KK/Kearbear cards
Sweet Dreams sampler
xmas Biscornu
Re: Need a lot of thoughts and prayers
Completed 2017: Anniversary Sampler by The Sweetheart Tree
Love comforteth like sunshine after rain. Shakespeare
Love comforteth like sunshine after rain. Shakespeare
- kerbear879
- Posts: 2877
- Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:51 pm
- Location: Denver, CO USA
- Contact:
Re: Need a lot of thoughts and prayers
Well he still has not moved to a nursing home. The problem is he only has medicaid and most the nursing homes do not have any medicaid beds available and almost all of them give me the same repsonse..thay they have next to no young patients. He is still slowly improving but still not fully aware of what is going on. He is starting to move his left leg now which he wasn't doing at all just a few weeks ago. He also will turn himself over on his side by grabbing the side of the hospital bed. So it's small things but things he wasn't doing before. It's hard to see the big picture at times though.
Thanks for all the hugs and prayers!
Thanks for all the hugs and prayers!
Kerri
Current WIP:
HAED Chessie-10,200 of 90,300 - 11%
HAED Catch a Falling Star-8,900 of 203,900 - 4%
HAED Wrath-46,630 of 240,000 - 19%
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kerbear879/sets/
Current WIP:
HAED Chessie-10,200 of 90,300 - 11%
HAED Catch a Falling Star-8,900 of 203,900 - 4%
HAED Wrath-46,630 of 240,000 - 19%
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kerbear879/sets/
- karen4bells
- Posts: 21816
- Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:53 pm
- Location: Florida
Re: Need a lot of thoughts and prayers
Sending loads of hugs your way
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs
Re: Need a lot of thoughts and prayers
Oh I am sure that dealing with this day to day the small things are hard to count as improvement but this is very good news. I am thrilled that he is starting to help move himself. Stay strong Kerbear, it sounds like the healing is coming on.

If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
- Squirrel
- Posts: 16821
- Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:33 am
- Location: exChristhcurch NZ, now Brisbane, Australia
Re: Need a lot of thoughts and prayers
Baby steps forward are good news and hopefully soon the steps will be bigger.
Praying there will be bed in the right place for him soon.
Squirrel
Hang in there - there is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel
Praying there will be bed in the right place for him soon.
Squirrel
Hang in there - there is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel
Sally in Brisbane Australia
WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
- stitchingmae
- Posts: 3253
- Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:34 pm
- Location: USA~Georgia
Re: Need a lot of thoughts and prayers
I am a rehab nurse, the first thing we tell our patients and family is to celebrate the small steps!! Take pride in those small steps..it is hard to realize but small steps lead to great lengths!
With that said have you guys checked into a LTCH or Ltach(Long term acute care hospital) Its different from a nursing home some hospitals have them even within the building but they are considered separate.
Here is a link to one that I found through google. (Disclaimer I know nothing about them I only googled)
http://www.healthsouth.com/" target="_blank There home page
http://www.healthsouth.com/what_we_do/i ... pitals.asp" target="_blank Explaining LTCH
http://www.healthsouth.com/where_we_are ... al_map.asp" target="_blank A map of their facilities looks like there is one in colorado springs?
With that said have you guys checked into a LTCH or Ltach(Long term acute care hospital) Its different from a nursing home some hospitals have them even within the building but they are considered separate.
Here is a link to one that I found through google. (Disclaimer I know nothing about them I only googled)
http://www.healthsouth.com/" target="_blank There home page
http://www.healthsouth.com/what_we_do/i ... pitals.asp" target="_blank Explaining LTCH
http://www.healthsouth.com/where_we_are ... al_map.asp" target="_blank A map of their facilities looks like there is one in colorado springs?
- kerbear879
- Posts: 2877
- Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:51 pm
- Location: Denver, CO USA
- Contact:
Re: Need a lot of thoughts and prayers
Yes we did look at the ltacs and every single one in denver said no to him. That one in colorado springs is over an hour away so probably wouldn't be feasible right now. Actually the reason some of the ltac's said no was because they said he was doing too well and then the other reasons were because they did not take medicaid. Most these places take medicare which he will get eventually but not for another year and a half and I would hope he is home by then. I guess in a way it might be good that we haven't found a nursing home yet. With medicaid, he would only get 30 minutes of therapy a week at a nursing home because medicaid won't pay for any more than that. I really don't know how they expect him to get better with only 30 minutes a week. So at least at the hospital he gets therapy nearly every day. Hopefully he will just become more aware and can just move onto an acute rehab facility instead.
Kerri
Current WIP:
HAED Chessie-10,200 of 90,300 - 11%
HAED Catch a Falling Star-8,900 of 203,900 - 4%
HAED Wrath-46,630 of 240,000 - 19%
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kerbear879/sets/
Current WIP:
HAED Chessie-10,200 of 90,300 - 11%
HAED Catch a Falling Star-8,900 of 203,900 - 4%
HAED Wrath-46,630 of 240,000 - 19%
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kerbear879/sets/
Re: Need a lot of thoughts and prayers
"Doing too well" for the nursing home sounds good! As other have said, small steps are so important.
I keep thinking how difficult this must all be for you, both seeing him so unlike himself, and having to stay strong yourself. I know how hard this can be, as I looked after my Dad for his last six months as he dealt with cancer. Sounds like you're doing everything you can, and be sure to take care of yourself too.
I keep thinking how difficult this must all be for you, both seeing him so unlike himself, and having to stay strong yourself. I know how hard this can be, as I looked after my Dad for his last six months as he dealt with cancer. Sounds like you're doing everything you can, and be sure to take care of yourself too.
Wandatoo
"Dogs come when they're called. Cats take a message and get back to you."
"Dogs come when they're called. Cats take a message and get back to you."
- Nachstenliebe
- Posts: 12466
- Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:04 pm
- Contact:
Re: Need a lot of thoughts and prayers
Faith
Faith
_______________________________
Starry Night
My Smallish Stitches
HAED Merry Christmas to all
http://ninjasinstitches.wordpress.com/
_______________________________
Starry Night
My Smallish Stitches
HAED Merry Christmas to all
http://ninjasinstitches.wordpress.com/
Re: Need a lot of thoughts and prayers
Glad things are improving if only slowly, but slow improvements will eventually turn into bing milestones.
Prayers are with you both

Prayers are with you both
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIP
Birds
Water Tiger
Millenium Sampler
Xmas stocking
2010 Finishes
Alphabet afghan
ATC 7&8
Egg swap
Forgotten Cart
KK/Kearbear cards
Sweet Dreams sampler
xmas Biscornu
WIP
Birds
Water Tiger
Millenium Sampler
Xmas stocking
2010 Finishes
Alphabet afghan
ATC 7&8
Egg swap
Forgotten Cart
KK/Kearbear cards
Sweet Dreams sampler
xmas Biscornu
- stitchingmae
- Posts: 3253
- Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:34 pm
- Location: USA~Georgia
Re: Need a lot of thoughts and prayers
Sorry it was a dead end.
That is good that he is "doing too well"
I'll keep praying for you guys!
That is good that he is "doing too well"
I'll keep praying for you guys!
Re: Need a lot of thoughts and prayers
I'm glad to read of every small improvment. The frustration you must feel with the system is staggering. Prayers and strength to you.
Jarvis
- Fljotsdale
- Posts: 4251
- Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:52 pm
- Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom
Re: Need a lot of thoughts and prayers
Sounds like he's much better off where he is! And it's great news that he's doing small things for himself - turning over in bed and using his arms to do it indicates a greater degree of awareness than anything else you have mentioned so far - it's terrific news!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVDUTAn6Ttg" target="_blank"
Watch Leonard and the young singer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6JssTdnvw" target="_blank"
Cohen's son, Adam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiP3PkLoMdI" target="_blank
Watch Leonard and the young singer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6JssTdnvw" target="_blank"
Cohen's son, Adam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiP3PkLoMdI" target="_blank
Re: Need a lot of thoughts and prayers
I am sorry to hear that the nursing homes and medicaid are making things difficult for you guys, but I am happy to hear that he is showing further improvement!
Celebrate the small steps! Every small step adds up to an eventual large one, though I do understand that it can be difficult sometimes to see this and accept it. I am sure your love, loyalty, and caring for him is helping him a great deal.
I continue to keep you both in my thoughts and prayers! I hope he continues to show improvement!
HUGS
Raven
Celebrate the small steps! Every small step adds up to an eventual large one, though I do understand that it can be difficult sometimes to see this and accept it. I am sure your love, loyalty, and caring for him is helping him a great deal.
I continue to keep you both in my thoughts and prayers! I hope he continues to show improvement!
HUGS
Raven