Thread brands
Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex
Thread brands
I am researching the prices/brands/qualities of threads before i order things to start on my next piece.
I know charts are thread specific, but is there any difference - other than colour shades - between anchor and dmc threads?
I know charts are thread specific, but is there any difference - other than colour shades - between anchor and dmc threads?
Works in progress:
DMC Misty Morning
Wedding photo - thanks to skitzzzzz for making me a chart
Green and pink fairy
DMC Misty Morning
Wedding photo - thanks to skitzzzzz for making me a chart
Green and pink fairy
- Sarah Gixxer
- Posts: 5006
- Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:19 am
- Location: Peterborough, UK
Re: Thread brands
For me personally, I don't find any difference (except that Anchor are slightly cheaper). DMC seems to be by far the more popular brand and things like HAEDs for instance give only a colour chart for DMC. As for quality, I don't find either one is better. Mainly I use DMC simply because I have about 90% of the available colours (I started stitching with kits, most of which had DMC threads with them, saved left over threads and then topped up my stash with more of the same) and only about 20% of the Anchor ones, but I'm happy to use either.
CURRENT WIPs
HAEDs - Bubble Telescope, Floatilla, Rainbow Embrace, Ray of Light, Iron Dragon, Newport Lighthouse
Fractal 239 Aero Chocolate
HAEDs - Bubble Telescope, Floatilla, Rainbow Embrace, Ray of Light, Iron Dragon, Newport Lighthouse
Fractal 239 Aero Chocolate
Re: Thread brands
Both DMC and Anchor have been around long enough that they both now what they are doing and do it well. Most members use whatever is available in their area. Yes alot of charts are charted as DMC but there are many conversion charts so you can change to whatever you want to use.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Re: Thread brands
I mostly use DMC but as Rose said it's more because it is readily available here than because I prefer it to Anchor. I think both companies provide high quality threads, so you would be fine using either.
Kim
Current Project:
Mirabilia Petal Fairy
Current Project:
Mirabilia Petal Fairy
Re: Thread brands
i use DMC threads only because that was all i could get when i started many moons ago so i stuck with them
W.I.P
Still Life with Roses GK
Frost GK


http://www.facebook.com/skitzzzzz" target="_blank" target="_blank
Still Life with Roses GK
Frost GK


http://www.facebook.com/skitzzzzz" target="_blank" target="_blank
- ~threadbear~
- Posts: 16596
- Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:25 am
- Location: Cumbria U.K
Re: Thread brands
I use DMC as my main brand thread. I like them. 
EDIT:
Didn't finish what I was typing!
When I joined the forum I was a one kit at a time girl. After being here awhile I saw a need for stash and having a collection of threads myself. I was able to get hold of a box of DMC thread someone was selling off on ebay, which started my collection and made me then stick with DMC.

EDIT:
Didn't finish what I was typing!
When I joined the forum I was a one kit at a time girl. After being here awhile I saw a need for stash and having a collection of threads myself. I was able to get hold of a box of DMC thread someone was selling off on ebay, which started my collection and made me then stick with DMC.
Last edited by ~threadbear~ on Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current
With Faith
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats
Blog
Re: Thread brands
I use DMC mainly because it's whats in the hobby shop near me, But as the years go by I have been givin others and as long as I can convert them I'll use them mainly because 90% of my charts are also DMC

Re: Thread brands
I have both Anchor and DMC threads and I use both, I occasionlly use both on the same design, but I recently charted a photograph I took last summer of one of my clemetis flowers and did the chart colours in both Anchor and DMC. I found that the DMC threads were a far better colour match, with more depth and more true to life, so I will be using DMC when I start stitching my photo.
- matilda314
- Posts: 86
- Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:34 pm
- Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: Thread brands
I use DMC, because that is the only thread I've ever been able to get in my area (with the exception of the specialty threads). I've never seen Anchor for sale in my 30 years or so of stitching. I did get some Anchor in a kit at a festival once, though I never ended up stitching it.
Re: Thread brands
I'm a DMC girl, though I do have a fair amount of Anchor as well.
I recently bought a cheap fake DMC thread - same numbers as DMC, shades similar - you wouldn't want to use them with real DMC of the same colour, but I really like them - they stitch up beautifully, are softer almost than DMC and are colour fast. Its useful to have all the colours as well!
Niki x
I recently bought a cheap fake DMC thread - same numbers as DMC, shades similar - you wouldn't want to use them with real DMC of the same colour, but I really like them - they stitch up beautifully, are softer almost than DMC and are colour fast. Its useful to have all the colours as well!
Niki x
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank
WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
- Mystonique
- Posts: 2032
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:10 am
Re: Thread brands
I find DMC colours to be more striking, stronger, deeper and I also find DMC to be ever so slightly softer than Anchor. I try to avoid Anchor for those reasons but if they've got the right colour I'll use Anchor.
Some of the smaller brands have even better colours and softer (equally durable) threads still but generally smaller brands are harder to source and have less colours available.
Some of the smaller brands have even better colours and softer (equally durable) threads still but generally smaller brands are harder to source and have less colours available.
Myst..
Re: Thread brands
I have both Anchor and DMC threads, and prefer Anchor, unusually. But I have to say the difference between them is so marginal as to make very little difference.
I have just ordered a bunch of Presencia threads. I have a project in mind which has been charted for this brand so I thought I'd get the them (from Stitching Bits n Bobs) and give them a whirl.
Incidentally, the colours are not an exact match across the brands. The Silver Lining specialises in flowers and often uses both DMC and Anchor together to get the exact shading required.
I have just ordered a bunch of Presencia threads. I have a project in mind which has been charted for this brand so I thought I'd get the them (from Stitching Bits n Bobs) and give them a whirl.
Incidentally, the colours are not an exact match across the brands. The Silver Lining specialises in flowers and often uses both DMC and Anchor together to get the exact shading required.
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~
WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
- corby_stitcher
- Posts: 454
- Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:38 pm
- Location: Corby. Northants (UK)
Re: Thread brands
Im an ANCHOR man myself. But thats only because i picked up around 150 different colours from EBAY, for a rock bottom price.
Although im using both DMC and Anchor on my current project, as my local wool shop only sells DMC and i was a few colours short.
Although im using both DMC and Anchor on my current project, as my local wool shop only sells DMC and i was a few colours short.
WIP -
Stitch List -
Country Threads - Down On His Luck.
Bearded Dragon - Charted by Skitzzzzz.
Stitch List -
Country Threads - Down On His Luck.
Bearded Dragon - Charted by Skitzzzzz.
- ~threadbear~
- Posts: 16596
- Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:25 am
- Location: Cumbria U.K
Re: Thread brands
Can you tell any difference between the brands when they're stitched up?corby_stitcher wrote:Although im using both DMC and Anchor on my current project.
Current
With Faith
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats
Blog
Re: Thread brands
I like both DMC & Anchor equally, with one exception. I use Anchor black exclusively. The Anchor brand covers better than DMC. I was told about it by another stitcher several years ago. I didn't believe it at first, so I ran an informal experiment. The Anchor black did give better coverage. I also prefer Anchor whites.
Jarvis
Re: Thread brands
The info on Anchor black will be very useful to me (thanks!) as I am planning to stitch a sampler later this year which will require a large quantity of black threads. Having pretty much always used DMC as many have said because of it's availability, I did not know this even as a 15-year stitcher! I will be ordering myself some Anchormig-3 wrote:I like both DMC & Anchor equally, with one exception. I use Anchor black exclusively. The Anchor brand covers better than DMC. I was told about it by another stitcher several years ago. I didn't believe it at first, so I ran an informal experiment. The Anchor black did give better coverage. I also prefer Anchor whites.
- ~threadbear~
- Posts: 16596
- Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:25 am
- Location: Cumbria U.K
Re: Thread brands
Jarvis, that's helpful for me as well. I have a HAED project with alot of black in it that I'm going to restart, I was unhappy with coverage and the size I'm working it on.mig-3 wrote:I like both DMC & Anchor equally, with one exception. I use Anchor black exclusively. The Anchor brand covers better than DMC. I was told about it by another stitcher several years ago. I didn't believe it at first, so I ran an informal experiment. The Anchor black did give better coverage. I also prefer Anchor whites.
In my dogs project, there is also alot of black and I'm a bit concerened about the coverage on that in places.
I shall have a try with Anchor black now!
Current
With Faith
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats
Blog
Re: Thread brands
Yes, brilliant tip about the anchor blacks - I also find DMC coverage not great. The fake DMC I got is great as well. I was thinking of using 3 strands of black, but will try Anchor instead!
Niki x
Niki x
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank
WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
- vanessanjf
- Posts: 12944
- Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:43 am
- Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Re: Thread brands
I use DMC because they are easier to get hold of here and I have quite a stock of colours now.
Vanessa
A little progress every day adds up to big results
WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
A little progress every day adds up to big results
WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
Re: Thread brands
Sounds like a lot of us are the same... I use only DMC except for Anchor black and white... 
Dana
WIPs
HAEDS
Lovers, Christmas Fairy, Goblins Fae Guide, Autumn Pears, Ride the Wind, Chimera Black Rose, Surfers Dream, Witching Hour, QS Nostlagy, Lg Treasure Hunt Bookshelf, Owen
Chatelaine
Konstantinople Hamam, Serengeti, Alpine Seasons
WIPs
HAEDS
Lovers, Christmas Fairy, Goblins Fae Guide, Autumn Pears, Ride the Wind, Chimera Black Rose, Surfers Dream, Witching Hour, QS Nostlagy, Lg Treasure Hunt Bookshelf, Owen
Chatelaine
Konstantinople Hamam, Serengeti, Alpine Seasons