Christchurch Earthquake - again

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

User avatar
meerkat
Posts: 5833
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: U.K

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again

Post by meerkat »

Hoping everyone from NZ from the forum is safe, including Murmured.. in Christchurch.
:ratherbe:
:tea: :cake:
User avatar
Slinky
Posts: 3026
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:25 pm
Location: UK

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again

Post by Slinky »

Just heard about this dreadful situation. My thoughts are with all affected by it.
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
User avatar
Murmured
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:00 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again

Post by Murmured »

Hi all,

Thanks for the thoughts.

I was at work when the quake hit, in the CBD. I dived under the desk and ceiling panels were falling, breaking glass, it was crazy. After the quake had finished we went down the stairs (am on the 2nd floor) and found a girl trapped in the toilets as we have electronic locks on the doors and the power was out. Luckily one of the men with us kicked the door in and rescued her.

Once outside all the road was cracked and ripped up and the footpath was about 4 inches higher than the curb. We were told to wait in a nearby park while Civil Defence did what needed to be done, and after about 30mins the street was flooded with water and slit and liquefaction and it was threatening to spill into shops.

I managed to contact my partner and started to walk towards his work, which is about 3 blocks away. On the way there I walked past a 5 or 6 story, modern office building that had collapsed. You could see the concrete bits between the floors all stacked on top of each other, with no space in between them. I heard this morning that they think about 65 people are still trapped in that building. I just felt so sick walking past it knowing that people would be inside.

Once I got to my partners work we decided to drive home. It took us about 3 hours to get home (usually 15 min drive) as traffic was so bad. We have liquefaction on our driveway and in the garage. Our brick wall totally collapsed as well. One of the cats is missing, but I got the boys to check under the wall, and he wasn't there so I am hoping he just ran away scared.

It's been over 24 hours now and we don't have power yet. We've been spending lots of time at a friends house as they still have power. I just hope we have power by tonight.
WIPS
Damask Rose Needlecase
Castles in the Air
I Stitch therefore I Stash

2012 finishes:
Max's Moon
User avatar
karen4bells
Posts: 21816
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:53 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again

Post by karen4bells »

What an ordeal you've been thru and I hope that your power is returned soon. Sending loads of hugs and prayers your way. Glad to hear from you :hug:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs


pamelam
Posts: 5452
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again

Post by pamelam »

What a frightening thing to go through! I'm glad you're alright! :hug:
Pam
User avatar
~threadbear~
Posts: 16596
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:25 am
Location: Cumbria U.K

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Oh that must've been horrific for you! I'm just so glad you're ok. Thanks so much for telling us about it though. It brings it home even more, reading it like this.

:hug: :choc: :hug:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
User avatar
Squirrel
Posts: 16821
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:33 am
Location: exChristhcurch NZ, now Brisbane, Australia

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again

Post by Squirrel »

So glad you're ok and got out of your building and away from the central area ok. It has been a horrible time for you nad hopefully soon the power will be back on for you.
Hope your cat finds its way home soon, so you can relax that bit more.

thanks for updating us and letting us know you are ok.

Sally
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
User avatar
Rose
Posts: 34043
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:24 am
Location: Gilroy, CA

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again

Post by Rose »

A very good friend of ours is down there with his C17 crew shuttling supplies and people back and forth to South Pole. He was in a wine shop down town Christchurch when the shake hit. He said the whole place shattered but he got out with only a few minor cuts. He is now trapped there as he was suppose to go pick up some of the scientists but there is no place for them to come back too. No hotels and no water. They don't know what is going to happen now but all they can do is sit tight and wait for orders. He said he was really shocked that he was in NZ when the quake hit he has never been near any here in California. What bad luck for him to miss them at home but be right in the center when he is away. :neutral:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
User avatar
Wandatoo
Posts: 2328
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:04 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again

Post by Wandatoo »

Just saw the devastation on the news -- such a terrible situation! Thoughts and prayers are with everyone there. :hug:
Wandatoo

"Dogs come when they're called. Cats take a message and get back to you."
User avatar
Lisa
Posts: 5436
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:16 pm
Location: Cannock, Staffordshire, UK

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again

Post by Lisa »

glad everyone is ok. Hope your power is back tonight Murmured. Debbie has checked in on facebook, she and her family are ok :D
milkmaid
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:37 am
Location: western isles scotland

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again

Post by milkmaid »

it must be so scary ,our thoughts are with you
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Glad you and yours were unscathed, Murmured, but what a terrible situation!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Cecilia
Posts: 6065
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:13 pm
Location: England

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again

Post by Cecilia »

So sorry that you are all going through this again.
Completed 2017: Anniversary Sampler by The Sweetheart Tree

Love comforteth like sunshine after rain. Shakespeare
User avatar
meerkat
Posts: 5833
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: U.K

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again

Post by meerkat »

Good to hear from you Murmured.Hoping some sort of normality returns soon.
:ratherbe:
:tea: :cake:
User avatar
~threadbear~
Posts: 16596
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:25 am
Location: Cumbria U.K

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Glad to hear Debbie and family are all fine.
Rose, I hope your friend will be ok. What a shock for him.
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Angel
Posts: 10021
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:53 am
Location: Abergele, Wales
Contact:

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again

Post by Angel »

Oh Murmered! *hugs* That must have been aweful! I'm so sorry to hear about all the deaths, it must have been heart breaking to walk past that building, knowing that there were people in there and it must have been so scary for them! I almost cried reading that, thank you. Television and news reports have a way of dehumanizing tragedies and it doesn't seem real, but hearing first hand accounts makes us more aware of the human factor. I'm so glad you and your other half are ok and I hope your kitty shows up.
User avatar
gyork
Posts: 1754
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:22 pm
Location: Dundee scotland

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again

Post by gyork »

Our thoughts and prayers are with you all in this terrible time.
Gillian


W I P
The astronomer HAED - started 13.02.16 (paused)
Wedding Flowers - started 25.04.19
User avatar
grub72
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:03 am
Location: Victoria Australia
Contact:

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again

Post by grub72 »

Angel wrote:Oh Murmered! *hugs* That must have been aweful! I'm so sorry to hear about all the deaths, it must have been heart breaking to walk past that building, knowing that there were people in there and it must have been so scary for them! I almost cried reading that, thank you. Television and news reports have a way of dehumanizing tragedies and it doesn't seem real, but hearing first hand accounts makes us more aware of the human factor. I'm so glad you and your other half are ok and I hope your kitty shows up.

My hear goes out to everyone who is effected in the earthquake,,,big hugs for everyone and prayes as well :pray: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
Don't worry be happy, you have your life, you are alive, you have family, friends who love you, and best of all you have me as a friend :)
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again

Post by Serinde »

What a terrible situation. Good to know our forum folk are ok, and that authorities are still in search and rescue mode. Thought the minister they interviewed on the BBC had the right idea: people are more important than buildings... although I'd add that you'll miss the way your city once looked. What struck me was how resilient NZ-ers are and how everyone seems to be looking after one another. That counts for a lot in these situations.
Post Reply