Hot Of The Stretcher Bars - meeeee - Framed
Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex
- dollystitcher
- Posts: 3550
- Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:39 pm
Re: Hot Of The Stretcher Bars - meeeee - Framed
Wow this is gorgeous, and the frame is perfect

Lynne
WIP
Woodland Enchantress
Leonardo
Ice Dragon King(HAED)
WIP
Woodland Enchantress
Leonardo
Ice Dragon King(HAED)
Re: Hot Of The Stretcher Bars - meeeee - Framed
Just caught up with this thread, and the finish and frame are fantastic.
Did someone comment on enabling... good thing I'm broke at the moment...
Did someone comment on enabling... good thing I'm broke at the moment...
- Mystonique
- Posts: 2032
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:10 am
Re: Hot Of The Stretcher Bars - meeeee - Framed
IT'S GORGEOUS! (anyone ever seen Third Rock from the Sun - Dick talking about himself?)
Myst..
- Mystonique
- Posts: 2032
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:10 am
Re: Hot Of The Stretcher Bars - meeeee
mig-3 wrote:Hi Smiley! To the best of my understanding, these are simplified versions of tapestry/Florentine embroidery. All three use variations of the straight/goeblin stitch. With the counted canvas work, the stitch lengths vary more. The base material is open mono-canvas, rather than linen or cotton fabric. The canvas is easier on which to stitch as each stitch covers a specific number of threads on the canvas. The goebin stitch and fibers used give a visual effect similar to that of tapestry work. I'm sure I'm oversimplifying tapesty & Florentine work. Hopefully, someone with more experience can fill us in on some of the subtleties I'm missing.Smiley wrote:Question - is this tapestry/Florentine embroidery?
My first love is tapestry - you aren't missing anything.
Tapestry is any sort of needlework done on canvas as opposed to linen or cloth. Canvas is stiffer and has larger holes and it generally comes in two types – mono, which looks like a grid and Penelope which looks like a grid with double lines. Penelope is the more common sort for most tapestry.
Florentine is the pattern. I’m no expert on that as I tend to work with pictures rather than patterns. But it resembles other Florentines I’ve seen so I’d say it’s right.
For those that haven’t tried it tapestry, particularly creative tapestry where you use more than the same basic stitch over and over, is amazing fun! It’s faster, IMO, than cross stitch simply because the canvas holes are bigger, easier to see and easier to sew through.
Did I say already – IT’S GORGEOUS!!! *BREATH IN DRAMATICALLY*
Myst..
Re: Hot Of The Stretcher Bars - meeeee - Framed
So pretty framed!!
Myst - thanks so much for that extra info!! I didn't know of the different kinds of canvas! I'm looking forward to trying! Unfortunately it won't be too soon - hopefully before the end of the year!
can't wait!! 
Myst - thanks so much for that extra info!! I didn't know of the different kinds of canvas! I'm looking forward to trying! Unfortunately it won't be too soon - hopefully before the end of the year!
WIP:
Still
snoopy birth present
knitting: witty knits, santa
2010 Finishes:
UFO: popcorn holding blankie
I love my pony, Linda Gillum
Cute Kitten, Adam Pescott
Mouse in race car, Lucie Heaton
Hi mom (golden retrievers), Linda Gillum
Re: Hot Of The Stretcher Bars - meeeee - Framed
Great Design! loved your colors