Ok so many of you know that I stitch and sell things.
Someone emailed me in another group and said that many designers don't want you selling the stitched pieces..now I have NEVER seen that written anywhere near any of the patterns I have stitched..(and I always check) except the precious moments ones...where it actually says, "Stitched design may not be sold"
but when it says something like this:
These charts are for your personal use only
and are NOT to be copied, kitted or sold for profit of any kind
Thank you for your support!
It means the actual paper chart not the stitched piece, right?
yes, I actually have a copyright Q! lol
Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex
- coffee_freak
- Posts: 10311
- Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:14 pm
- Location: maryland,usa
- Contact:
yes, I actually have a copyright Q! lol
If you get a comment of a
,I must be holding my 
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
skype:coffeecupcakescrossstitch
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
skype:coffeecupcakescrossstitch
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
- Mabel Figworthy
- Posts: 34208
- Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
- Location: Dunchurch, UK
- Contact:
Re: yes, I actually have a copyright Q! lol
I've asked about this in connection with selling cards for the church building fund, and I found in a magazine that their designs could be stitched for charity but I don't know if that goes for all designs and whether making christmas cards for others counts.
I also read somewhere that if it's a kit, it's alright for people to ask you to stitch it for them and pay you for your time and effort, but you must buy a new kit for every piece you do. Rose, is that about right?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Re: yes, I actually have a copyright Q! lol
I am not very good at the legal stuff, but e-bay is full of completed cross stitch, if it was against copyright, finding people who broke that rule would be a doddle surely.
I do recall something about stitching more than one as well Mabel.
I have just thought of something else, in our local stitch shop, they sell off the sample works. that profit has to go to the shop!
I do recall something about stitching more than one as well Mabel.
I have just thought of something else, in our local stitch shop, they sell off the sample works. that profit has to go to the shop!
Re: yes, I actually have a copyright Q! lol
This is a very touchy question and it seems that everyone has a different take on what is and is not ok. I have added some information that I found on the TW Site. It sorta addresses the question you are asking. I put the information into the Copyright thread.
The stuff that is sold on e-bay is supposedly an original 1 time only stitched piece so it is ok to sell. But if the seller is stitching the same design over and over then it does become a problem. That also goes for the pieces that are for sale in Craft Shops.
If you have a concern you will have to send a question directly to teh designer and see what they have to say about your selling of thier pieces.
The stuff that is sold on e-bay is supposedly an original 1 time only stitched piece so it is ok to sell. But if the seller is stitching the same design over and over then it does become a problem. That also goes for the pieces that are for sale in Craft Shops.
If you have a concern you will have to send a question directly to teh designer and see what they have to say about your selling of thier pieces.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Re: yes, I actually have a copyright Q! lol
I do believe it's ok to sell a stitched item. It's your effort and time that's being sold.
However it is wrong to make a copy of a kit's pattern and sell that on it's own, that would be an infringement on the designer's rights and you're reproducing their work.
However it is wrong to make a copy of a kit's pattern and sell that on it's own, that would be an infringement on the designer's rights and you're reproducing their work.
Cross Stitch + Art
http://www.TheArtofStitch.com
http://www.TheArtofStitch.com
Re: yes, I actually have a copyright Q! lol
Let me be a bit more clear on the stitched item.
I said,"
You can stitch a pattern more then once if you buy a different kit for each project that you intend to sell. This is explained better in the info I got off of the TW Site. This also goes for buying just the charts also. As it was explained to me.
I said,"
The stuff that is sold on e-bay is supposedly an original 1 time only stitched piece so it is ok to sell. But if the seller is stitching the same design over and over then it does become a problem. That also goes for the pieces that are for sale in Craft Shops.
You can stitch a pattern more then once if you buy a different kit for each project that you intend to sell. This is explained better in the info I got off of the TW Site. This also goes for buying just the charts also. As it was explained to me.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Re: yes, I actually have a copyright Q! lol
I saw on another thread somewhere that you can sell your stitching but a limited number of the designers work per year, most hobby stitchers wont have a problem with this, I think they dont want the pros to reproduce the same pic over and over again and sell it. Copyrighting is such a complex problem, everyone seems to have a different answer.
Linda