Oh Carole . I know exactly where you're coming from. I did 2 pages of Rhyme and Reason 2 over 1 full crosses on 25 count and am currently half way through page 1 for the second time, but 2 over 1 tenting it this time. I have to say that I'm so glad I did. Like you have said it's really hard to get the needle through the fabric doing full crosses and tenting is so much easier. For your LOTR I was also thinking along Rose's line of doing full crosses 2 over 1 on the black to get the coverage but then switching to 1 over 1 full crosses in the areas of colour. I think if you combine full crosses and tenting on the same project it may look a bit odd so best to keep the stitches all the same shape, although I may be wrong! I'm going to attempt Trio 2 over 1 full crosses on 25 count as it has MEGA black background, although I may change to 1 over 1 where the colour comes in. (That won't be for a while though!!! ). Whatever you choose, you've done a fabulous job so far and as long as you've enjoyed what you've done (how many stitches of black ) that's the main thing.
I understand, too, Carole. I did a restart on both the SK and my Santa because the full crosses were just too tight on the 25ct. (does anyone know WHY that's the standard for the HAED examples??? )
Even tho you've done so much, I think if you change to tenting on black fabric, it will be so much easier and go so much faster, that you won't lose any time at all towards a finish!
You're a great stitcher with so many wonderful projects that this one set back won't matter in the big stitching scheme of things ...
pattiebelle
"Gratitude is memory of the heart" (Jean-Baptiste Massieu)
Oh no that is such a shame. I really love your LOTR so I do hope that you can find a solution for your problem. I am afraid I can't help you as I always use 18ct aida for my HAED's. I just find it easier for stiching in hand and it doesn't crease as much.
Vanessa
A little progress every day adds up to big results
WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
I, too, wondered if you were using the correct needle when I read this latest update.
I'm doing my HAED on 25ct Belfast linen, 2 over 1, size 28 needle, and there is a lot of confetti stitching which is why I am using a modified form of parking -- to avoid the added bulk of starting and finishing threads. It may indeed be your fabric as you suspect -- which would be such a shame -- the Belfast I'm using is quite loosely woven. In fact, I'd planned to use tent stitch, but when it came to the start, with all the confetti, I decided that cross stitch was really the best. Yes, it's bulky; more like a tapestry, but so far not difficult to work.
I'm sorry you're having such trouble, Carole! You've done so much work on this one already. You definitely should do whatever it takes to make it fun for you.
I'm doing 2x1 on 25ct for my Elementals and have found that parking really makes the stitching quicker and easier. It nearly eliminates bringing the needle up in an already occupied hole. It may be something you could try in order to salvage the work you've already done. I know not everyone gets along with parking, but it couldn't hurt to try if you've interested.
Good luck with whatever you decide. I'll be waiting to see what you've stitched no matter what your decision.
mechie
WIP:
The Elementals (HAED) - Finished 9/42 Pages
Fall Fairy (Dimensions Gold) - Finished 4/4 Pages only backstitch left!
Springtime Roses Freebie (Chatelaine)
The Encounter - Finished 3/24 Pages (HAED)
Oh what a shame! So sorry you've put it on hold, but there's really no point in spending all that time stitching something if you're not enjoying it. Must've been a very difficult decision.
I hope you manage to find a workable solution, and I can't wait to see the update of Dancing!
BizzieLizzie wrote:Oh what a shame! So sorry you've put it on hold, but there's really no point in spending all that time stitching something if you're not enjoying it. Must've been a very difficult decision.
I hope you manage to find a workable solution, and I can't wait to see the update of Dancing!
I so agree!! What a shame as you'd been making such wonderful progress on it!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs
Thank you all for your comments and support. I think I will take this with me to my stitching group on Saturday and look at some different fabrics and then make my decision. I am going to get back to this one as soon as I can. It was my first HAED and I still love it even if I have to stitch more black. Actually that isn't too bad if I'm watching a program or listening to a book that requires more attention than usual. Will let you know what happens.
Carole
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Phew, I was really worried until you read your last post since I brought this one to your attention to begin with. I hope you can find a solution that works. I was thinking of Rose's idea, but it sounds like you have the right idea to think it over and check out other fabrics, etc. before making your decision.
it`s going to look when when you have done it. my son loves lotr films and i am about to start in about the next few weeks haed eternal promise that is now a retired chart. so i am going to like seeing this one come alive.
sew and so in the uk do 25ct magic guide but i dont know about anyone in the us
i am doing all my haeds 2 starnds over 1 tent stitch and the coverage is fine for me. as for black alot of people are using anchor black as the coverage is better.
I'm just discovering this thread... It's heartbreaking! Carole, I am SO SORRY! That tricky DMC310, causing trouble again!
Have you had any luck finding a solution?
-Imogen
Current WIPs
HAED SK Some Enchanted Evening
Stitchonomy Winter SAL
Animal Alphabet SAL (Anna Gutova for Artmishka)
Modern Folk Embroidery SAL 2021
Wonders of the Solar System SAL (Climbing Goat Designs)
Gnomes (Designs by Gloria & Pat)
Thank you Megan. I have a piece of black 28 ct evenweave that I got from my LNS to see if I can manage it. If I can that is what I will do. Otherwise I am going to probably restart on either 25 or 28 count and will either do 1 over 1 or more likely tent stitch because it will go so much faster. As soon as I do the restart I will probably start a new thread. Hopefully by the beginning of next year.
Carole
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker