NeedleAndFork's Year Round Ornaments Update 12/31/14
Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde
Re: NeedleAndFork's Year Round Christmas Stitching
Calico
WIPs:
Glory of Autumn
Orchids & Hummingbird
Santa's Feathered Friend
Eagle's Majesty
Feasting Frenzy
Chickadees on a branch
Autumn Owl Trio - HAED
My Blog
My Flickr
My YouTube Channel
WIPs:
Glory of Autumn
Orchids & Hummingbird
Santa's Feathered Friend
Eagle's Majesty
Feasting Frenzy
Chickadees on a branch
Autumn Owl Trio - HAED
My Blog
My Flickr
My YouTube Channel
- NeedleAndFork
- Posts: 980
- Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:05 am
Re: NeedleAndFork's Year Round Christmas Stitching
Join me in stitching one a month in 2014!calico wrote:I absolutely adore each and everyone of your lovely ornaments! I only managed to do 2 this year but have so many I want to make. Your thread really inspires me to try and get some more done. I really like the look of the bolder backstitch as it makes the design pop! Great sparklies, too!
My blog: Obsessed With Thread
My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments
Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments
Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
- Mabel Figworthy
- Posts: 34208
- Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
- Location: Dunchurch, UK
- Contact:
Re: NeedleAndFork's Year Round Christmas Stitching
Beautiful ornaments (absolutely
the snowman with the mini tree and string of stars), and thank you for describing how you put them together. For the few I've done I tend to do the backstitch/whipstitch finish, but it is quite time-consuming and of course takes twice the fabric -- your method sounds a lot quicker and you can use pretty backing fabrics!
One question, you said "Before turning it, I iron the bottom seam open" but how do you iron open a seam that hasn't been stitched yet? (sorry if I'm being dense...)
One question, you said "Before turning it, I iron the bottom seam open" but how do you iron open a seam that hasn't been stitched yet? (sorry if I'm being dense...)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Re: NeedleAndFork's Year Round Christmas Stitching
Those look great!!!!!!! And a good start!!!!!!!!! 
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
- NeedleAndFork
- Posts: 980
- Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:05 am
Re: NeedleAndFork's Year Round Christmas Stitching
I stitch part of the seam on the bottom - I'll usually start about 1/3 of the way in, stitch to the corner then all the way around, and then stitch 1/3 of the seam on the other side, leaving the middle 1/3 open. This gives you enough sewn area to be able to iron the seam open.Mabel Figworthy wrote: One question, you said "Before turning it, I iron the bottom seam open" but how do you iron open a seam that hasn't been stitched yet? (sorry if I'm being dense...)
I'll take pictures of the process on the next one I assemble, though I'll be machine sewing it rather than hand. I gave it a try last night to make sure I could stitch between the same 2 threads for the entire length of an ornament and while it was tricky, I almost managed it with just one shift over to the next row. I think I'll add a basting stitch all the way around the ornament 1 thread out from where I want to sew to use as a guide so I can make sure I'm stitching in the right spot, otherwise I have no way of telling if my stitching moves over a spot. A basting stitch shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to do and is a good idea anyway as I can use that to figure out where exactly I want the sewing line to go.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread
My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments
Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments
Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
- Mabel Figworthy
- Posts: 34208
- Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
- Location: Dunchurch, UK
- Contact:
Re: NeedleAndFork's Year Round Christmas Stitching
Thanks, that would be really helpful!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Re: NeedleAndFork's Year Round Christmas Stitching
Love the red Christmas tree ornament
- NeedleAndFork
- Posts: 980
- Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:05 am
Re: NeedleAndFork's Year Round Christmas Stitching
Finished in the nick of time....
The blackwork one I started above...

I love closeup detail on blackwork, so I couldn't resist. This one also shows how I signed each of my ornaments. I have the year and my initials on each of them.

Another Santa one.. I actually ended up not doing the entire pattern - he had more beard below the sign, but it was already so big that I just left it off. I also didn't stitch the white background on the sign itself. I was running out of time!

A Fab Reilly humbug... I actually didn't enjoy making this one as much as I thought I would. I think it was all the gold floss, it was such a pain to use! I did this one first actually and wasn't going to give it away, but I was one short and decided to include it. The 'hanger' is a double strand of white floss threaded with gold seed beads.

The rest are of ornaments I already showed above, but that weren't sewn up yet when I posted them..

(I really think this one is my favorite.. I love the old world look to it!)

This one is a mess.. I didn't do a good job of finishing it at all as my idea didn't quite pan out, and I hate to give it in this condition, but I'm outta time to do anything about it! I do see in the picture that the edge of the fleece could use a quick trim to make it straighter. I'll make sure to do that much atleast!

This little guy turned out cuter than I expected when finished up this way! I just sewed up the excess fabric in the back so it was a tube, back stitched the top closed with a ribbon tucked into the opening,stuffed him from the bottom with fiberfill and sewed the bottom closed too. Then I fringed the excess fabric. I know I say I don't like fringe, but this is one case where I think it works (unlike the one above that is just a mess!)

The blackwork one I started above...

I love closeup detail on blackwork, so I couldn't resist. This one also shows how I signed each of my ornaments. I have the year and my initials on each of them.

Another Santa one.. I actually ended up not doing the entire pattern - he had more beard below the sign, but it was already so big that I just left it off. I also didn't stitch the white background on the sign itself. I was running out of time!

A Fab Reilly humbug... I actually didn't enjoy making this one as much as I thought I would. I think it was all the gold floss, it was such a pain to use! I did this one first actually and wasn't going to give it away, but I was one short and decided to include it. The 'hanger' is a double strand of white floss threaded with gold seed beads.

The rest are of ornaments I already showed above, but that weren't sewn up yet when I posted them..

(I really think this one is my favorite.. I love the old world look to it!)

This one is a mess.. I didn't do a good job of finishing it at all as my idea didn't quite pan out, and I hate to give it in this condition, but I'm outta time to do anything about it! I do see in the picture that the edge of the fleece could use a quick trim to make it straighter. I'll make sure to do that much atleast!

This little guy turned out cuter than I expected when finished up this way! I just sewed up the excess fabric in the back so it was a tube, back stitched the top closed with a ribbon tucked into the opening,stuffed him from the bottom with fiberfill and sewed the bottom closed too. Then I fringed the excess fabric. I know I say I don't like fringe, but this is one case where I think it works (unlike the one above that is just a mess!)

My blog: Obsessed With Thread
My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments
Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments
Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
- NeedleAndFork
- Posts: 980
- Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:05 am
Re: NeedleAndFork's Year Round Christmas Stitching
Oh, I almost forgot... the pic of all of them together so you can get an idea of scale of each one relative to each other..

And for fun, this isn't an ornament, but it's part of this christmas's gift giving...

A bookmark that I copied from picture someone posted of theirs. The pattern isn't available anywhere so I bluffed my way through it. It will go to a friend who loves to read and write, tucked into a pretty little journal.

And for fun, this isn't an ornament, but it's part of this christmas's gift giving...

A bookmark that I copied from picture someone posted of theirs. The pattern isn't available anywhere so I bluffed my way through it. It will go to a friend who loves to read and write, tucked into a pretty little journal.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread
My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments
Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments
Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
- karen4bells
- Posts: 21816
- Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:53 pm
- Location: Florida
Re: NeedleAndFork's Year Round Christmas Stitching
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs
Re: NeedleAndFork's Year Round Christmas Stitching
what wonderful ornaments
after being inspired by loads of ornaments on the net, i plan to make one a month next year as well. some will be for me!, and others will be gifts.
after being inspired by loads of ornaments on the net, i plan to make one a month next year as well. some will be for me!, and others will be gifts.
Re: NeedleAndFork's Year Round Christmas Stitching
Those are all awesome finishes!!!!!!!

If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Re: NeedleAndFork's Year Round Christmas Stitching
Carole
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
- NeedleAndFork
- Posts: 980
- Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:05 am
Re: NeedleAndFork's Year Round Christmas Stitching
I'm going to have to take a picture of the Be Jolly one with the person I made it for - it looks so much like him!
The person I gave the blackwork one to asked me if she could pay me to make a couple more for her.. her grandmother did a lot of surface embroidery and she thinks she would love the ornaments, so I'm making her a couple of them.. thankfully blackwork is reasonably fast. I can easily knock them out while I"m on vacation and use the extra cash to buy more stash!
The person I gave the blackwork one to asked me if she could pay me to make a couple more for her.. her grandmother did a lot of surface embroidery and she thinks she would love the ornaments, so I'm making her a couple of them.. thankfully blackwork is reasonably fast. I can easily knock them out while I"m on vacation and use the extra cash to buy more stash!
My blog: Obsessed With Thread
My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments
Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments
Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
Re: NeedleAndFork's Year Round Christmas Stitching
Beautiful ornaments they look amazing
its inspired me to do some myself next year 
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
- perftangel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:28 pm
- Location: PA, USA
- Contact:
Re: NeedleAndFork's Year Round Christmas Stitching
They alll look so nice! I love your finishing on them! I need to work on my skills...

My blog: xStitchHaven.com
Re: NeedleAndFork's Year Round Christmas Stitching
They are awesome! I love the picture with them all

--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints

HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
Re: NeedleAndFork's Year Round Christmas Stitching
I adore all of those and I especially love how you've finished each and every one of them! Well done and Merry Christmas!!

WIPs:
Hillside Travelers by LHN
The Library by LHN
Past, Present, and Future by Disney
Balloon Glow by Dimensions Gold
Little Sheep Virtues by LHN
HAED 12 Dancing Princesses
Grandma Twinkles by Janlynn
Hillside Travelers by LHN
The Library by LHN
Past, Present, and Future by Disney
Balloon Glow by Dimensions Gold
Little Sheep Virtues by LHN
HAED 12 Dancing Princesses
Grandma Twinkles by Janlynn
- NeedleAndFork
- Posts: 980
- Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:05 am
Re: NeedleAndFork's Year Round Christmas Stitching
I just realized that I was in such a rush when it came to finishing these off that I never shared how I gift wrapped them. I wanted to make sure to do that because I think they turned out so cute, and it's an easy way to do so!

I bought a yard of burlap and then cut it into strips - because the burlap skews easily, the cut I got was not even close to being on grain, so rather than try to straighten the edges before cutting strips, I cut perpendicular to the selvedge, trimmed off the crooked parts and cut in half, so each strip was about 16" x 8". Folded in half, zigzagged down the two sides and turned the bag so seams were on the inside. A bit of ribbon to tie it up and I was done! Very cheap too - a yard of burlap (of which I used about half for 9 ornaments) was $3, and the ribbon was from the 50 cent rack. This was definately the way to go, rather than buying giftbags for each one.

I bought a yard of burlap and then cut it into strips - because the burlap skews easily, the cut I got was not even close to being on grain, so rather than try to straighten the edges before cutting strips, I cut perpendicular to the selvedge, trimmed off the crooked parts and cut in half, so each strip was about 16" x 8". Folded in half, zigzagged down the two sides and turned the bag so seams were on the inside. A bit of ribbon to tie it up and I was done! Very cheap too - a yard of burlap (of which I used about half for 9 ornaments) was $3, and the ribbon was from the 50 cent rack. This was definately the way to go, rather than buying giftbags for each one.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread
My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments
Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments
Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
- charmagne_capalad
- Posts: 6704
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:09 am
- Location: Quezon City PHILIPPINES
Re: NeedleAndFork's Year Round Christmas Stitching
Super lovely projects!
.. Am planning to do the same for Christmas 2014! Thanks for the inspiration!
Happy holidays! 
