2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

rcperryls

Re: 2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Post by rcperryls »

Im finished with radiation!!!!

Thank you all for your support and encouragement as I went through this. In about six weeks when I see the oncologist I’ll start a regimen of estrogen inhibiting medication which should be pretty easy. The doctor waits until my body has recovered from the radiation, which continues its effect for a few weeks, I’m told, efore we take this next step which prevents recurrence. The medicine continues for about 5 years or more. Very manageable. One reason I tell this story is to remind everyone to always get a mammogram when it’s scheduled. Catching this as soon as possible is really important.

And I’ve sent out a message to my stitchy bug that it’s time to come home. We have an Afghan to finish and only a few 1000 projects waiting for us.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

That’s great news.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

Well done Carole, :whoop:

Lets hope your stitchy bug returns soon, we are looking forward to seeing what you stitch

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Wonderful news. I'm so pleased for you that the radiation part has gone so smoothly and well. :whoop:
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

That's great news carole :hug: !
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

So pleased that you've come through this part of the treatment feeling so well. Hope it continues.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Roland

Post by Roland »

Carole, so glad it’s now in the rear view mirror. :wub:

I was off to see a sports medicine doctor today. (What a pleasant man.) He confirmed the PT is treating my hip injury appropriately, however, he thinks my pain is more from arthritis than tendinitis. I can’t take the pain meds he suggested because they are harsh on the stomach, so he recommended instead of Tylenol, I switch to Tylenol for arthritis. He also said if the PT stops helping, he can give me a cortisone shot in my hip. That does not sound like fun.
richardandtracy

We have a lady at work who has a cortisone injection in her arthritic knee every 3 months. Before each injection she hobbles up the stairs one at a time, after, she doesn't quite run but can walk OK up the stairs. As the 3 months wear on, the effect reduces. She's not keen on the injection, but it works so well for her that she wouldn't be without now.

Regards,

Richard.
Roland

Post by Roland »

I’ve thought about it a fair bit today. I know that if my hip gets as bad as it was I will give the shot a try. The way it is right now, it would not be worth it.
Roland

Post by Roland »

Ugh!

I’ve developed an extremely itchy rash. Also what felt like a bruised rib. Turns out the rash has caused so much swelling inside that it basically has caused a bruise.

Dr prescribed a cream for the rash, which has helped immensely. He said to use Voltaren for the bruised area, but I’m worried it will touch the rash, which woukd hurt.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I feel so bad for you. Do you know what caused your rash? I would think if you can get the Voltaren just on the bruised area it shouldn't effect the rash. It is pain killer and I know friends who use it regularly for arthritis. Hope you get through this quickly. I'm glad to hear that the cream you have been prescribed is helping a lot.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Roland

Post by Roland »

The rash is from sweating. It developed between folds of skin. (I shower daily, sometimes twice, always wear clean clothes.) The bruised area starts where the rash ends.

Voltaren is amazing. I’ve used it for my knee and shoulder. It helps a bit with my hip, but not as much, I assume because whatever hurts is further in.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I met with radiology oncologist last Friday and the oncologist yesterday (that was the rescheduled visit because of the rodent damage to my car :tantrum: ) and both have agreed I can now consider myself a "breast cancer survivor". :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: I have one more follow up with the surgeon in two weeks and a final check with the radiology oncologist in 6 its when she said she'd "set me free". I will be taking an estrogen inhibitor for at least several years so will still be with the oncologist, but she is so good I won't mind one bit. I did want to let you all know how much I appreciated the encouragement you all gave me and how it really helped. I know that your prayers and thoughts were heard because I had such a relatively "easy" time. I know how lucky I have been to get through this with few after effects and credit that to not only the doctors but also to family and friends. I told my primary care doctor (the only male doctor in the bunch) that he is free to use me as an example why missing or avoiding mammograms because it is inconvenient or uncomfortable is playing a game with fate. I am lucky because I went for 2 years (thought my reasons made sense then) but I am so thankful I didn't miss the last one. Enough preaching about that, but I'm ready to check out of this wonderful facility. Thanks to all the staff here for the best care ever provided.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
fccs

Post by fccs »

Carole, that is fabulous news! I’m so happy you had great doctors and tons of support.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

That is wonderful news Carole, so happy for you!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

Yes, yes :whoop: . Great News Carole. :whoop:

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
Roland

Post by Roland »

:whoop: Great news Carole. :whoop:

I am now on my third prescription to clear up this rash. This one seems to be working, but it will damage the skin. Hopefully it completely clears it up.
richardandtracy

That is absolutely fantastic news. So pleased to hear it Carole.

Regards,

Richard
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Roland, :x: :pray: that your skin rash goes away soon and that the new medicine is the cure you needed. And while this is the best place ever for recovering from illness and injury, I'm sure the staff at St Cross Stitchers will be more than happy to have free time off, hopefully for an extended length of time.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I'm reserving a room in the veterinarian wing of our hospital. Last week Rosey had a "teeth cleaning" at the vet as there was a lot of tar on her teeth during her annual check up. The result of that was the discovery of something called absorbent lessons (I think that is what it's called) which has effected the roots of her teeth and also there are holes in some of them. Vet said she has probably been in pain but cats are notorious for not showing pain and she had no trouble eating her dry food. The result is that tomorrow she is having oral surgery done by a veterinarian dentist. (Some of my friends think I'm nuts for doing this, others completely understand.) I'm sure we'll have a few days of unhappy kitty and if I have to give her meds after surgery we'll have a few days of unhappy kitty mom. ( Any of you who have experienced the fun activity of giving meds to a feline will immediately understand. The only cat I ever had who was easy to give a pill to was the one who figured out how to mouth the pill and then hide it in a corner behind a big sofa. Discovered after a big spring cleaning revealed a pile of little red pills) Hoping this will go easier.

Carole
:(
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat