You should have told him that not being symmetrical proves it was hand made.

I am jealous such a nice thing to make and a lovely place to make it in.
Seeing your stitching on the edges reminded me of my Applique for my quilts. Initially I think the stitches are going in nicely, then once finished I think they stand out like a sore thumb and a few days later I can't see them

I like how yours get hidden under all the lovely purl outline

.
The wriggle trick I have used to reverse a needle back through a hole. I like the idea of using a thread loop with the eye in the end of the loop helping to prevent frayed threads. I tend to like to work with a long thread but I notice how much the end frays while stitching, which is even worse when I do not fully pull the thread through when I am stitching double handily.
I had not seen the smaller hoops on the seat stands. Both of mine have the large 10" hoops on them.

do I need one ...
Finishing that off is going to keep you busy for a while.
Jo