Mabel's other stitching 2026

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2025

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

The complete one and the side view are both Sarah's models, mine is at the stage in the middle picture - all the padding, a bit of outline and a bit of chipping. No idea when it's going to be finished, no rush! DH, when he saw my photograph of the design drawn on the fabric, said "but the drawing is asymmetrical, you dodn't stand a chance!" :-)

I don't actually like the hoop-on-a-stick ones, I find them difficult to get the fabric in. I much prefer my table clamp and floor stands that i can clamp any of my wide collection of hoops in - much more versatile.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2025

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

A bit of work on the Drapers' Hall kit:

Image
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2025

Post by Serinde »

This is the first time I realised that the chips are stitched directly onto the felt. How do you know where to start!?!
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2025

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

you don't :-) - you just start somewhere and keep going, making it as random as possible. I actually added more silver than there is in the original; like all good teachers Sarah encouraged us to make the thing our own!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
fccs
Posts: 9697
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:10 am
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2025

Post by fccs »

I do love a good fleur-de-lis and yours is going to be beautiful.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
History of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Innocent Dreams
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2025

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

A little bit more work on the fleur de lis, completed the pear purl outline of the rather complicated bottom part. Again, not very symmetrical, but my main aim was pointiness, as the picture on the kit box shows the outline rather rounded and I didn't like that effect. But I should have got the two sides a little bit more alike....

Image

This is the box picture:

Image
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2025

Post by Serinde »

We are our own worst critics.
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2025

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Ha, I know! I even considered unpicking and redoing with some pearl purl of my own, but I have decided against it and to leave it as a salutary reminder that we can be too fussy :roll:
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2025

Post by Serinde »

Aiming high is almost never a mistake. How else would we improve?
User avatar
fccs
Posts: 9697
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:10 am
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2025

Post by fccs »

Serinde wrote: Wed Jun 18, 2025 9:13 am Aiming high is almost never a mistake. How else would we improve?
This!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
History of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Innocent Dreams
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2025

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Very true. And if this was my Certificate piece, out it would come. I guess my remark about being too fussy just meant that sometimes I need to remind myself I'm stitching for pleasure, and it doesn't always have to be perfect :-)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2025

Post by Serinde »

Quite so and well said!
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2025

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Finally managed a bit more chipping. Surprisingly, the gold in the tips has already started tarnishing, even though I've kept the work covered all this time! (The second picture also shows a needle minder I made from a fridge magnet I bought in my home town - it was a fundraiser for the church DH and I got married in, and is made using a 5 cent coin; I managed to find one dating to my birth year :-))

Image

Image
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2025

Post by Serinde »

It's coming along beautifully.

The needleminder is very cute. When DH and I were married, my Best Woman found shillings minted the years we were born. Still have them, of course.
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2025

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Finally finished the chipping - just the cutwork (and the making up) to do. I should really have been doing homework, but this was very relaxing :-D

Image

Image
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Steam.Jo
Posts: 1909
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:46 pm
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2025

Post by Steam.Jo »

Well done :applesauce:

I love it

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, Magpie Shrub, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2025

Post by Serinde »

Guess relaxation is all relative, eh? This is beautiful -- well done! Can't wait to see it finished.
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2025

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Well, here it is :-) - it's a bit wonky on the cutwork for reasons I will explain in a FoF later this week, and I haven't actually completed the brooch; it's too big for me to wear, so I only finished the front part of it and will just display it as is.

Image
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2025

Post by Serinde »

Showing the imperfect, but beautiful, is important for non-stitchers who look at what we do. Of course, we strive for "perfection", but our stitching group has found that it's very useful to show half-finished pieces at our exhibitions and also where we have made mistakes because it encourages newbies to understand that (1) we all started at the beginning and (2) even the most accomplished embroiderers get it a bit wonky sometimes. And no one (usually) judges us.
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2025

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Just that. It's why the AI-generated "embroideries" are so heart-breaking, with aspiring embroiderers saying wistfully "I could never do that". No. No-one could.
Would you be happy for me to include what you said about your group in my FoF?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Post Reply