Serindë's Stitching 2025 25 Dec
Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde
Re: Serindë's Stitching 2025 9 April
It wasn't so noticeable, but it threw the whole design out. Anyway, it's sorted now. Took about 15 minutes.
- Mabel Figworthy
- Posts: 34208
- Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
- Location: Dunchurch, UK
- Contact:
Re: Serindë's Stitching 2025 8 May
Great finish, and oddly smile-inducing for such a grisly subject 
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Re: Serindë's Stitching 2025 8 May
It made me laugh out loud when I first saw the design.
Re: Serindë's Stitching 2025 8 May
Assembly Required is fabulous!!
Debby
(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
History of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Innocent Dreams
(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
History of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Innocent Dreams
Re: Serindë's Stitching 2025 19 May
This is a colour harmonies sample for a course I'm doing We were given 7 colours (the three primaries, their three complementaries and a second green as an analogous colour) in fun crayon hues -- no subtlety about this lot. The idea is to explore how and why different colours are put together, and the effect you get doing it. The first exercise was to describe how different combinations are used in paintings (for example; mine, a still life with onions, had red/green complementary colours as well as yellow/purple, for example) and then by making a sample of the ways the colours given can be put together with weaving.
From the bottom up (right to left), there are two primaries (yellow/blue) a square using hatching with both colours and a square where the colours are blended in the weft bundle (exactly like putting different colours in one needle). I worked through the primary colours then paused for a green line, before tackling a triad (purple/green/red and a tetrad (blue, yellow, orange/purple). It was fun -- and bright!

From the bottom up (right to left), there are two primaries (yellow/blue) a square using hatching with both colours and a square where the colours are blended in the weft bundle (exactly like putting different colours in one needle). I worked through the primary colours then paused for a green line, before tackling a triad (purple/green/red and a tetrad (blue, yellow, orange/purple). It was fun -- and bright!

- Mabel Figworthy
- Posts: 34208
- Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
- Location: Dunchurch, UK
- Contact:
Re: Serindë's Stitching 2025 19 May
Very colourful and very neat!
I will admit though that your description got me a bit muddled as I wasn't sure whether you were describing lots of different projects or just your own. Are the onions part of yours? Or the green hatred (a variation on envy)?
I will admit though that your description got me a bit muddled as I wasn't sure whether you were describing lots of different projects or just your own. Are the onions part of yours? Or the green hatred (a variation on envy)?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Re: Serindë's Stitching 2025 19 May
Green hatred due to fat fingers!
The course has basically three exercises: find an image where you can explain the colour plan and see how it works within the image; weave a sample with the basic colours (hues) given to illustrate the possibilities across all of the colours; and then weave a separate piece. Often the students showed several images, and many wove various samples. So the onions are one of my images and the sample is, well, the sample. It’s been suggested I try to weave another similar one, but with more subtle colours (the primary hues’ tint, tone or shade). Not sure I have enough time before I go north, but I might give it a whirl.
The course has basically three exercises: find an image where you can explain the colour plan and see how it works within the image; weave a sample with the basic colours (hues) given to illustrate the possibilities across all of the colours; and then weave a separate piece. Often the students showed several images, and many wove various samples. So the onions are one of my images and the sample is, well, the sample. It’s been suggested I try to weave another similar one, but with more subtle colours (the primary hues’ tint, tone or shade). Not sure I have enough time before I go north, but I might give it a whirl.
Re: Serindë's Stitching 2025 19 May
I should also say, to remove any doubt, that the sample is based on the colours assigned to this course. They are supposed to be close to pure primary hues (yellow, red, blue) and complementaries (purple, green [there were two] and orange).
I did do the more subtle variation. Here they are both together so you can really see the difference. In order to find the colour palette, I used an assortment of appropriate yarns: Appleton (4 strands), Paterna (2 strands), Weavers Bazaar (either 2 or 3 strands depending on whether the yarn was medium or heavy). Made for some uneven beating ...

I did do the more subtle variation. Here they are both together so you can really see the difference. In order to find the colour palette, I used an assortment of appropriate yarns: Appleton (4 strands), Paterna (2 strands), Weavers Bazaar (either 2 or 3 strands depending on whether the yarn was medium or heavy). Made for some uneven beating ...

- Mabel Figworthy
- Posts: 34208
- Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
- Location: Dunchurch, UK
- Contact:
Re: Serindë's Stitching 2025 19 May
Interesting to see the difference between the very bright version and the less saturated one (if that's the right term)!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Re: Serindë's Stitching 2025 19 May
Exactly the right term. I prefer the brighter one.
Re: Serindë's Stitching 2025 9 June
I'm trying to think of which sewing I'm taking up North on holiday on Saturday. I'm also trying not to take the big magnifying light stand, which would mean no close stitching.
I can take a small one, but it's no good for, say, hardanger, but is useful (just about) for the odd check on more free-style things. I know perfectly well I should take up the rest of the 12 Days of Christmas felt figures (Corrine LaPierre). And it would be good to get that done. Hmmm. I should say, my main crafty stuff will be weaving this time around -- I have three classes to finish up! 
At least I won't have the garden to worry about. Younger Son will be staying, and there's just the chance of an Indian Summer and the ripening of the last of the tomatoes. I don't hold much hope for the tiny cucumbers, though.
At least I won't have the garden to worry about. Younger Son will be staying, and there's just the chance of an Indian Summer and the ripening of the last of the tomatoes. I don't hold much hope for the tiny cucumbers, though.
- Mabel Figworthy
- Posts: 34208
- Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
- Location: Dunchurch, UK
- Contact:
Re: Serindë's Stitching 2025 17 Sept
Perhaps the tiny cucumbers could become pickles?
Yes, they eyesight question comes into play in a major way when I'm choosing travel projects now too, or even just evening projects. Still, it's nice to have an inducement to do some more freestyle stuff
Yes, they eyesight question comes into play in a major way when I'm choosing travel projects now too, or even just evening projects. Still, it's nice to have an inducement to do some more freestyle stuff
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Re: Serindë's Stitching 2025 22 Oct
Our local news magazine needed a holiday craft thingy. So I made this. Thrown together rather quickly, with no stitching to speak of, but to get all the images as I went along (check!) and work out the instructions (check!) in such a short time was remarkable for me, the original over-thinker. Let's hope it's in time for publication. If not, it'll wait until next year!


- Mabel Figworthy
- Posts: 34208
- Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
- Location: Dunchurch, UK
- Contact:
Re: Serindë's Stitching 2025 22 Oct
Very festive, and at least as important, doable for people who may not be crafters!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Re: Serindë's Stitching 2025 22 Oct
Absolutely do-able for beginners or non-crafters. And this model was all from stash! Win!
- Mabel Figworthy
- Posts: 34208
- Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
- Location: Dunchurch, UK
- Contact:
Re: Serindë's Stitching 2025 12 Nov
In spite of the obstacles it's looking good!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page

