Mabel's Designs 2026

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Mabel's Designs 2026

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I managed to finish the Shisha flower, getting a bit carried away so I now know what amounts to too much stitching (not that much, unfortunately), and what I can and can't do (no two-handed stitching, but it is possible to manipulate sequins and beads with minimal second-hand involvement). Still, it's my first finish of 2026! And I've made it into a card, for our minister's wife who has been organising some great Ladies' Socials as well as celebrating her 60th birthday this week.

Image

Image
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Post by Serinde »

Beautiful. You are very clever in the way you combine colours and materials into always-interesting pieces. Whoever receives this lovely card will be well chuffed!

(Rest that hand!!)
User avatar
geekishly
Posts: 4122
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Post by geekishly »

Hear hear! It’s a lovely finish.
- Luca
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I started this little tulip back in December, in the Netherlands, because I needed something to show how to attach passing thread to my cousin's two daughters that I was doing goldwork with. That sounds more complicated than it was. Anyway, I stitched the flower, and the gold on the central petal; the idea was to have more gold, experimenting with single/double and different outlines but then the hand happened. Last weekend I tried to add some of it. It's not as even as usual, but I like the look of it. Now it's back to resting the hand. Yes, I required painkillers after these bits of couching. But if I don't try, I don't know!

Image
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Post by Serinde »

It's only human to push the boundaries or (in this case) check the state of play in the healing process. And to have such a lovely little piece to show for it is very special.
User avatar
geekishly
Posts: 4122
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Post by geekishly »

lovely work! I hope your hand continues to heal well.
- Luca
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

The fracture clinic consultant said to let pain be my guide - discomfort is fine, pain means stop.

More gold to go on in a few more short sessions, then it will be made into a card to send to a Turkish refugee family we got to know while they stayed in the refugee hotel in our village; they have been moved to another place and I want to send them a Hope You're Settling In card (and keep in touch about how their right-to-remain interviews are going) and a tulip felt right because although they are thought of as the typical Dutch flower, they originated in Turkey :-)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

A bit more physiotherapy in the form of couching :-)

Image
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Post by Serinde »

Couching is a much under-rated technique.
User avatar
geekishly
Posts: 4122
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Post by geekishly »

So beautiful!!
- Luca
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Finished! though not yet made into a card.
Sadly the Turkish family had their application for right to remain turned down, and the poor lady lost her baby possibly because of the stress. I'm afraid a tulip card doesn't really seem at all adequate at a time like this.

Image
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Post by Serinde »

What a tragedy for everyone.
User avatar
geekishly
Posts: 4122
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Post by geekishly »

Perhaps not adequate, as I don’t think most things would be. However, it does show you care and are thinking of them.
- Luca
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

A doesn-'t-matter-what-it-looks-like-but-it-exercises-the-hand project in progress:

Image
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
geekishly
Posts: 4122
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Post by geekishly »

I love it!
- Luca
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

The card I sent to the Turkish family I mentioned. The daughter is settling in at her new school and they're appealing their application decision.

Image
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Post by Serinde »

Fingers crossed that what's best for the child and family is what actually comes to pass. I'm sure they would have appreciated your card.
User avatar
geekishly
Posts: 4122
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Post by geekishly »

Wishing the best for them.
- Luca
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

A small finish - with the ladybird dedicated to my grandson who loves looking for them in the garden, and my granddaughter who dressed up as one for World Book Day. I can only guess that she was a Ladybird Book.

Image

Image
Last edited by Mabel Figworthy on Sat Mar 07, 2026 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
geekishly
Posts: 4122
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Post by geekishly »

So cute!
- Luca
Post Reply