Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025

Post by Serinde »

geekishly wrote: Tue Nov 18, 2025 2:20 am
I’m excited to be working on the same SAL as you. It’ll be fun!
Maybe we should set up a separate thread for it?

@Mabel: here is an image of the difference between Sulky 12wt (top) and a single thread of DMC 310. Stitched on 28ct Brittney (stash!).

Image
User avatar
geekishly
Posts: 4122
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Serindë's Stitching 2025 19 Nov

Post by geekishly »

A separate thread might be nice. I haven’t started yet, I’m trying to get this gift finished up so I can mail it off so it gets to my friend in time for Christmas. But I know I work quickly on blackwork once I get started, so I’m hoping to catch up fairly quickly.

ETA: decided to do a test. Not pictured is the horrible attempt with DMC E310. From left to right we have DMC C310, sulky 30wt, and standard DMC 310. I think I’m going with the C310.

Image

You can’t tell in the photo, but the C310 has a lovely subtle sparkle. (Also the stitching is a bit sloppy because I was doing this on a tiny scrap in hand.)
- Luca
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Serindë's Stitching 2025 19 Nov

Post by Serinde »

I never considered C310... 30wt is hardly there! C310 is a bit thicker than the others, but I must say that I find that thread quite soft. Anyway, I'll not steal your thunder, because the sparkle will look a bit like frost on the snowflakes and railings -- perfect. Perhaps you could use DMC 310 on anything that might not be perceived as "outside" in the design??

I'll set up a separate thread. And I'll see if I can figure out how to move relevant posts into the new space. :idea:

(ETA: success!)
User avatar
geekishly
Posts: 4122
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025

Post by geekishly »

Excellent!

That’s a possibility I hadn’t considered. But I’m planning to do it on opal fabric, so I think it will look great if it’s all subtly sparkly. It should give it a look like you’re outside while it’s snowing looking in.
- Luca
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

i rather like the chunky look of the 12wt. What is the C-type DMC?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025

Post by Serinde »

C stands for Etoile threads. It has a sparkly strand twisted into the thread. https://www.dmc.com/GB/en-GB/products/mouline-etoile
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Ah yes, I've heard of it. Is it easy to work with? And does it have the same sort of sparkle as normal DMC combined with blending filament?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025

Post by Serinde »

It’s slightly different because the sparkly filament is the same colour as the thread, except in the case of black and white, I think, where the sparkle is silver as in a typical filament thread. I find it soft, but the results are quite pleasant. Certainly simpler than dealing with blending filament.
User avatar
geekishly
Posts: 4122
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025

Post by geekishly »

Still worth using a thread conditioner with it like when using filament, but it does work much better for blackwork than using blending filament since it can bend a lot more smoothly.
- Luca
User avatar
geekishly
Posts: 4122
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025

Post by geekishly »

Got a start on this finally.

Image
- Luca
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Pretty! Blackwork always looks so delivate and lacy.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025

Post by Serinde »

Lovely!!
User avatar
geekishly
Posts: 4122
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025

Post by geekishly »

Thanks! I meant to share this earlier, but further progress as of a couple days ago.

Image
- Luca
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025

Post by Serinde »

You've turned corners!!

I'll be getting back to this, probably (gulp) Monday. This week has been full-on and non-stop! (and it's not quite over yet...)
User avatar
geekishly
Posts: 4122
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025

Post by geekishly »

Sadly, that's as far as I can get until I return to Michigan in January. It was simply too big to take on the train with me since I basted it onto a scroll frame.
- Luca
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025

Post by Serinde »

I'm very tired of the "snowflakes". Especially as I've had to take about five of them out down the left-hand side and will restitch them. I've gone all around the right side, turned the corner and did about 4 motifs at the bottom when I realised with horror that it wasn't going to meet up properly with the left side. :cry: :cry: :cry: One stitch out. One. :x
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

And no way of fudging it successfully I suppose? I am really sorry that happened and i just hope it doesn't put you off the project!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025

Post by Serinde »

It's come close, believe me. Luckily for the project, there is still a bit of rugby on the TV and rather too many rainy days.
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025

Post by Serinde »

It’s coming along. I’m very tempted to put it away for a bit and work on some of my other UFOs. But then, would this become a UFO or a PO (postponed object)? It’s deceptively difficult in places.

Image
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Coming along very well! I can see the temptation to take a break and do something different, but I can also see the danger of another UFO.... Perhaps have two very different projects on the go, and both "out in the open" so it's easy to pick them up alternatigly? You are the only one who can make that call I'm afraid.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Post Reply