2026 St Cross Stitchers

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Nurse that muscle, Roland, and I hope the revised medication does the trick!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Roland
Posts: 1477
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:21 pm

Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers

Post by Roland »

I’m putting Salon Pas patches on at night and I seem to be sleeping better.
User avatar
geekishly
Posts: 4122
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers

Post by geekishly »

Glad to hear the patches are helping, Roland.

Today I had my second hand appointment. We adjusted a couple of of the splints that were falling off, and also fitted my right hand. I’ve another appointment on Wednesday and hopefully we’ll have time to start learning new exercises.

I did get to try on a silver ring splint today as my therapist found their old fitting kit and I am looking forward to being able to replace these plastic ones with the fancy ones. Since some of the fingers have changed in size since my first visit, I’m going to wait a little bit before getting fitted for the silver ones. I want to be sure they’ll fit long term, especially if my insurance won’t cover them and I have to pay for them myself.
- Luca
User avatar
richardandtracy
Posts: 6157
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 4:27 pm
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers

Post by richardandtracy »

I was in our conservatory (sun room) yesterday and first heard, then saw an invading black tom cat ripping chunks of fur out of our oversize kitten Toby. Toby is big, and being a Maine Coon cat at 10 months old he's a bit larger than your average large cat, but he's not muscular yet. And like all Maine Coon's he's not at all aggressive. Anyway, he was loosing lots of chunks of fur at high speed, so I raced outside (no shoes, sock on one foot) and ran up the 1 in 3 bank to stop the fight. Toby had disappeared by the time I got up the 30ft high bank and chased off the invader. At the top of the bank, I nearly fell over.

It appears 61 year old muscles don't appreciate going from nothing to flat out without a warm up, and the back of both my thighs were cramping and (I think) I got some muscle tears by the time I reached the top of the garden. I am not impressed, really not impressed with myself. Currently hobbling around with the occasional gasp as I put an incautious load on a bent leg as I get a stabbing pain all over the back of my thigh.

The invading cat, is, we think intact (due to face shape and aggressiveness), and has a 2" square red raw patch on the back of his tail. He also appears to be feral and spraying round our back door at night. Not wildly impressed. He won't let us anywhere near to see if there's anything we could do for him.

Our kitten Toby, well, we can't find any wounds, but he is frightened and a bit clingy today.

Regards,

Richard
Seriously under the paw.
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers

Post by Serinde »

Poor Toby! A baptism of tooth and claw. I feel sorry for the feral tom, too. Lion poo might keep him out.

Yeah, well, muscles. Muscle tears build back better, as they (don't) say or so I'm told. Put the fear of god into the tom, I should think! 8)
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Poor Toby and poor you! Is it a case of rest and recuperation? Does arnica help? (Not absolutely sure what arnice is but I have been recommended it for muscle aches).
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
richardandtracy
Posts: 6157
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 4:27 pm
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers

Post by richardandtracy »

Thank you.
We did check Toby over and he doesn't have any scratches we can find and didn't seem to have any tender areas - but he is a heavily furred cat, which is just as well. We had to clean his bottom a bit, so I think he'd pooped himself a little during the fight, just shows how frightened he was.

As for me, I'm back at work doing as much muscle stretching as I can. I used 'Deep Heat' last night, but it didn't have much effect. It's quite hard walking up stairs with any dignity due to the way I need to straighten my legs on each step. Oh well, can live with it. One weird fact, the active ingredient in 'Deep Heat' is the same ability to pass through the skin and other barrier materials as the 'Mustard' chemical warfare agent. Who'd have guessed.

Regards,

Richard
Seriously under the paw.
User avatar
fccs
Posts: 9697
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:10 am
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado

Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers

Post by fccs »

I'm glad Toby is physically okay and I hope you are okay soon.

Deep Heat and chemical warfare....interesting.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
History of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Innocent Dreams
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers

Post by Serinde »

And here I thought it was just wintergreen. :lol: Have you tried rub on paracetamol?
User avatar
richardandtracy
Posts: 6157
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 4:27 pm
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers

Post by richardandtracy »

One leg is mostly healed, my left is being stubborn. Not tried and paracetamol or anything else, doesn't really warrant it.

Yesterday kitten Toby went out for 90 minutes. This morning, the weather was such he wasn't too bothered and simulated a completely splatted cat on our bed. Lying on his back, all four legs spread wide showing his tummy (and the fact he's got nothing to show off) to the world and forehead pressed back on the duvet. Not a care in the world. How nice to have an apparently short memory.

Regards,

Richard
Seriously under the paw.
User avatar
geekishly
Posts: 4122
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers

Post by geekishly »

uuuugh. been fighting off a cold for 10 days now. it does seem to be in the final dregs, but these final dregs aren't going quickly enough.
- Luca
Roland
Posts: 1477
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:21 pm

Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers

Post by Roland »

Sending healthy thoughts Luca. Spring and summer colds seem to really hang on.
User avatar
richardandtracy
Posts: 6157
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 4:27 pm
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers

Post by richardandtracy »

Best wishes from here too. Don't want a cold on a bank holiday (if you get the May Day one in your region)

Regards,

Richard
Seriously under the paw.
Roland
Posts: 1477
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:21 pm

Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers

Post by Roland »

Was in to see doctor. We’re trying new meds including a Rx cream to rub in. It’s helping, but nothing seems to help enough.

I asked about getting a pass to ride WheelTrans because I cannot ride regular public transit. He suggested I also get the disability parking pass, so when I’m in the car we can park closer. I got the parking pass immediately, but WheelTrans, I had to fill in first, then bring to doctor. We have an appointment to discuss on Monday, then he’ll sign and send in.

I’m also going to ask him if he’ll sign paper for me to claim disability on my tax return.

So…basically…my back is still bad.
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers

Post by Serinde »

So glad to see you are taking advantage of what's on offer to make things easier for you. All these things really make a difference between being able to get out and about and generally be mobile and in society, and just not wanting to take the chance. My DH has a disabled badge now, and what a difference such a small improvement it makes.
User avatar
geekishly
Posts: 4122
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers

Post by geekishly »

Thanks. I'm finally feeling better, but I have plans to go out this weekend to the same place that I probably picked up the last cold. have ordered some new face masks for the excursion, including a fashionable one to wear over the functional one.
- Luca
User avatar
richardandtracy
Posts: 6157
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 4:27 pm
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers

Post by richardandtracy »

Colds are transmitted as much by touch as by air, so it may be an idea to take a little thing of hand sanitiser and do your hands fairly regularly.

Or.. turn into a queen & wear white gloves. :roll:

Regards,

Richard
Seriously under the paw.
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers

Post by Serinde »

Defo the white gloves. Go on. Make a statement! :lol:
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Add a tiara as well! Own the look!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
richardandtracy
Posts: 6157
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 4:27 pm
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers

Post by richardandtracy »

I do love that idea Mabel..

Regards,

Richard
Seriously under the paw.
Post Reply