My recommendation would be solar panels with the air conditioning to minimise the running costs. Yesterday running the Air con for 24 hours used an extra 3 KWh of electric, so about 75p total over 24 hours.
It was very nice last night with the house at 20 degrees for sleeping and I am up with my birds this morning with the doors all open to get some fresh air through the house before it starts warming up again
The joys of living in an 1890s sandstone house is that it's cool in the summer if you treat it right: close the front shutters downstairs and the curtains upstairs plus the windows which faces southwest and open the back up, which is currently in the shade. All change in the afternoon. It's at its hottest here at about 4pm. Reminds me of home.
My greenhouse was 35C yesterday at 8:45 yesterday. Whew! All the seedlings and just about anything that could be was moved was out! Even with all the vents open it only dropped about a degree. But we aren't as hot as you -- but 28C today forecast and humid, and quite enough, thanks. My morning job it to cart around a series of 10L watering cans before it gets too hot.
Rain tomorrow (storms) with the promise of a temp "feel" of 30C. Shesh.
Oh wow.
To see some work nigh on 1000 years old. Just amazing.
I had missed the tickets opening in the British Museum. We may consider a family outing.
Because I only found out around lunch time, I had a 7-1/2 hour wait for the tickets... Fortunately in an online queueing system, not on the phone!
The tickets on sale now go up to the end of the year; the 2027 tickets will go on sale later. You can sign up to the British museum newsletter to stay informed.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Will discuss with the boss when I can as it'd be nice to visit with her.
She's currently on a retreat until her ordination on Saturday, and I can't really bother her with non-emergency stuff. Confusingly both being made a 'Deacon' and 'Priesting' are both called 'Ordination'. She was 'Deaconed' last year (made into a Curate or trainee Vicar), and this year is when she get 'Priested' & made into a full Vicar. Once she's been signed off on all the training at this time next year she'll be able to do the major life event services (Baptism, Marriage & Funerals) without supervision.
Thank you.
We've all mostly recovered from the day, now. Lots of people in a hot church - weather felt warmer than forecast due to humidity. I picked Orianna up so we all went to the service together and the cats got to see them both in the evening, and reacted in their usual manner - by pointedly ignoring them. We had a nice takeaway and relaxed in the evening. Tray fell asleep at 8:30, combination of an intensive few days and the heat.
Canterbury was packed, absolutely heaving. Tourists from the US have returned in large numbers, more than making up for reduced numbers from France. Lots of Italians and Germans too. The High Street was ghastly... Shoulder to shoulder throughout.
Sunday morning, Tracy conducted her first service as the officiating Vicar and had to make a sermon up on the spot because the Vicar she'd arranged to do the sermon thought the service started an hour later than it did - despite being reminded on Saturday, in my hearing, what time it was.
I'm here with a coffee, pausing between separating my weaving from my stitching stash. The former being moved upstairs into YS's former bedroom because it's bigger, and I do need more space for weaving (yes, it still has a bed, just in case of holidays). It also still needs (yet another) hoovering, but I've been slowly moving boxes upstairs.
That is good news. However, if you get enough stuff into the room in double quick time, you won't be able to see the floor and then it - obviously - won't need hoovering again. Well, that's my logic..
Re - Bayeux Tapestry, I'm sure all have seen Mia Hansson's full size replica (almost complete) .Has anyone on here thought about a cross stitch
version? I've stitched a few scenes from the Maison Salou charts, and am thinking to have a go at the whole 70m, scaled down, of course, though would still be pretty long, even at 16cm wide.(22m+!!)
Any thoughts?
WIP: Van Gogh "Fishing Boats", Another Bayeux scene
I did wonder myself. There is (or maybe 'was') a reproduction Chinese Tapestry at 11 Ct, and 6 panels each 6m long. I saw somewhere 10 years ago about a Chinese lady who'd finished all 6. Don't think it was 100% stitched, but covered in a similar way to the Bayeux Tapestry. I really can't remember any more, or find it, either. It was like a sparce version of this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/236820196075, only nowhere near so short...
If you want to, go for it. 22m... That's 4 walls of a 20ft square room without windows. Hmm. Everyone has one of those, surely.
Or just over a cricket pitch in length, though which side to lay it?
Unfortunately, tempus is fug'ing it a bit too quickly - my 3 score years and 10 are well past
so it will have to be faster than the ?100 stitches an hour as discussed before, or start the night shift.
And I'll have to work out how to transfer the 70 odd scenes from my book onto the 32 ct
linen, but one of the Maison Salou charts (already completed) is pretty much an exact copy,
so a start has been made.
Watch this space.....
WIP: Van Gogh "Fishing Boats", Another Bayeux scene