Still several things in progress but I've made a new start as I don't want a Wedding Project to come too long after The Wedding
His will be the relatively solidly stitched umbrella, in blues (with pearls and little bits of silver), and hers the lacier parasol, in reds (and little bits of gold). Haven't decided on the colour for the text at the top and bottom yet but it will be done in split stitch as the letters are quite small and curvy.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Of course, I remember now -- there was an entire discussion about it. I only asked because (1) I'd obviously forgotten! and (2) I was looking in my fabric stash and came across some Normandy and wondered if it was suitable for free embroidery, or if it's too open. Not that it looks open to me, but duck is a very close-woven fabric in comparison.
I use Normandie as well though - it really needs a light calico backing although I have used it on its own. I like the look of the surface, and unless you want to be terribly terribly detailed it's absolutely fine (I did the split stitch sunflower on it).
For heavier fabrics (and even for the lighter ones like Normandie) I'm experimenting with thin muslin, so that the whole sandwich isn't too thick to go comfortably in the hoop; in fact, I'm using muslin on this project!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Not much (I had to do some unpicking, alas) but it's a start!
The muslin works OK as a backing so far, but then cotton duck doesn't really need strengthening, just an extra layer for fastening off in.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
A bit more work on the wedding umbrellas - I'm pleased with the effect on the lettering (hers will be whipped in very light red/pink) but not absolutely sure about the top of the umbrella; I wanted to be random, but then went non-random at the bottom, and amd wondering whether to match them up. In a way, the lines of chain stitch are meant to suggest raindrops running down.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Nope. It's a shame but I simply do not like the perle stem stitch outline - and it's a so and so to stitch too. So this one is going to be ignored for a bit until I decided what to do with it, and until I actually want to do anything with it again. Oh well, it'll give me more time for the wedding umbrellas....
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
I had to chuckle a bit Mabel, we have these bright ideas that such a such a thread would look great and then it doesn't. A good idea to set it aside until you can really take a good look at it and decide what you want to do with it. Very wise to set it aside for now.
Sally in Brisbane Australia
WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
I wasn't really sure where to post this as the original flower isn't my design but I've been making several changes to it, so in the end I've decided it can go here . The more detailed story is on FoF.
It started life as an attempt to recreate a small flower seen in a video:
... but then I got a bit overenthusiastic ...
And now I've got a lovely card to send to someone with a birthday or anniversary
Last edited by Mabel Figworthy on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
So many things to comment on...
I love the way the handles of the umbrellas look. It must have been tricky to do.
The M from Mabel is so jazzy with happy colours.
Your flower looked very delicate at first then the gold made it precious. The colour of the card is just perfect for it.
Fantastic works, Mabel.
Hélène
Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Thanks Helene (sorry, my accents don't seem to be working at the moment, grrrrr) - the umbrella handles were actually surprisingly easy: chain stitch in dark grey / dark brown, and then whipped in silver / gold. I was really pleased with the effect
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits