Page 28 of 45
Re: Mabel's designs
Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:02 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
I learnt only a couple of days ago that today is the 50th anniversary of friends of ours - and I didn't have time to do anything about it until yesterday! Haven't we got a great hobby when you can make something festive in an evening

?

Re: Mabel's designs
Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:45 pm
by Podolyanka
You are right, Mabel. Personally I nearly always use our hobby to give people a gift which looks rich, but is not that expensive, as the most valuable part of it is our work on it. Plus such gifts are always individual, special for both, us and the recepient. Your "50" looks absolutely elegant and beautiful. Very well done.

Re: Mabel's designs
Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:35 pm
by wendywombat
Re: Mabel's designs
Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:49 pm
by Serinde
Fabulous, and I'm sure will be really appreciated, too.
(Though might I suggest that possibly only you could do this in an evening...) 
Re: Mabel's designs
Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:49 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
wendywombat wrote:You have just reminded me that it's our 50th this year! Yikes! Where has the time gone!!
Congratulations! It's our 15th this year, and as we were a mature bride and groom I don't think we'll make 50

but we will cherish however many years we have.
serinde wrote:(Though might I suggest that possibly only you could do this in an evening...)
You might

but honestly I don't think so. It's a stem stitch outline which is really quick, whipped with metallic thread which again doesn't take long, and filled with some lazy daisies and beads. Together with cutting the fabric, transferring the design and making up the card it would be a fairly long evening, I'll grant you that, but the actual stitching took about three hours.
Re: Mabel's designs
Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:59 pm
by poppy
Mabel Figworthy wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:49 pm
serinde wrote:
(Though might I suggest that possibly only you could do this in an evening...)
That was exactly my thought!
The celebration card is beautiful and as Lyudmila said, elegant.

Re: Mabel's designs
Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:39 am
by Squirrel
Re: Mabel's designs
Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:42 pm
by rcperryls
poppy wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:59 pm
Mabel Figworthy wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:49 pm
serinde wrote:
(Though might I suggest that possibly only you could do this in an evening...)
That was exactly my thought!
The celebration card is beautiful and as Lyudmila said, elegant.
My thought too!!!
Carole
Re: Mabel's designs
Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:20 am
by Mabel Figworthy
Another need for a quick card, and this one is very personalised

- it's for our niece who makes linocuts (may I plug her Etsy shop
Woah There Pickle? If not, mods please remove).
Some time ago she gave me permission to use one of her lino designs to turn into an embroidery. So far it hasn't made it to the fabric, but I decided to use one flower from it to stitch for her as a birthday card. As she is a very informal sort of person, I've tried to go for a more informal style of stitching than I might normally use

. Here is last night's progress:

Re: Mabel's designs
Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:00 pm
by Podolyanka
Another beautiful piece of embroidery.

Re: Mabel's designs
Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:46 pm
by wendywombat
Informal it might be...but it's still neatly executed...I particularly like the leaves.
Re: Mabel's designs
Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:08 pm
by rcperryls

Already so very beautiful!!
Carole

Re: Mabel's designs
Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:24 pm
by Serinde
As everyone has said! (I also love Whoa There Pickle, and have bookmarked it.)

Re: Mabel's designs
Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:19 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
OK, yesterday in between work I managed to get everything done bar two petals, and then we were going (for the first time since who knows when) to meet a couple of friends in a pub garden. "I'll finish the stitching off when we get back", I said to DH, "and then I can put it in a card tomorrow morning before going on my Ladies' Walk and you can take it to the post" (he goes every day to send off the business parcels, and on Saturday the cut-of point is quarter to eleven, just when our walking group's walk tends to end).
The meeting at the pub was really enjoyable (although I was slightly nervous about the table we were sitting at being rather smaller than I would have liked, but it was in the open air so we'll probably be all right) but on the way back the road we were meant to take was closed, which they didn't sign-post until you were right on the closure and got swept off onto the motorway. Not a problem normally, but we were in a 90-year-old Austin Seven, and the motorway at that point is on a slight incline. Modern cars don't even notice it, but the Austin gets slowed down to about 30 mph, with lighting that isn't nearly so bright as modern cars, and lorries thundering past at 60mph.
DH decided it was not safe, so we pulled into a lay-by and contacted the Highway Authorities, who eventually sent a well-lit vehicle that escorted us to the nearest exit. The man driving it said we'd definitely done the right things as continuing on our own would not have been safe. So we got home safe and sound, at
a quarter to midnight - not a hope of finishing the stitching then! And because we were so late and DH was really tired with all the concentrating he'd had to do we overslept and didn't wake up until quarter to eight. So while DH had his shower I made tea and then did some frantic stitching, and got the whole thing finished by nine o' clock. The card is now on its way to Vicky
And the moral of that is, plan your stitching further in advance!!!!

Re: Mabel's designs
Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:56 pm
by Podolyanka
The card is worth all the time and effort, Mabel. It is beautiful, as always.
Re: Mabel's designs
Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:57 pm
by Podolyanka
Mabel Figworthy wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:19 pm
And the moral of that is, plan your stitching further in advance!!!!
Exactly what I tell myself every time I am hurrying up to finish another birthday present on time. But somehow it never happens, that planning.

Re: Mabel's designs
Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:38 pm
by fccs
Podolyanka wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:56 pm
The card is worth all the time and effort, Mabel. It is beautiful, as always.
I agree! And what an experience - I agree you did the right thing by pulling off. And concentrating on driving In a situation like that can truly be exhausting.
Re: Mabel's designs
Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:37 pm
by rcperryls
fccs wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:38 pm
Podolyanka wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:56 pm
The card is worth all the time and effort, Mabel. It is beautiful, as always.
I agree! And what an experience - I agree you did the right thing by pulling off. And concentrating on driving In a situation like that can truly be exhausting.
I agree with with both ladies! Safely driving is most important. And you still got the beautiful card in the mail on time.
Carole

Re: Mabel's designs
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:22 am
by Squirrel
Re: Mabel's designs
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:22 am
by Mabel Figworthy
Squirrel wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:22 am
I love his hat band -oh so elegant.
You stymied me there Sally - what hat band?