Here's the pattern I'm planning on knitting...

And the yarn (which the photo absolutely does not do justice to)..

Off I go to cast on!
Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex


It's a free pattern!! You can get it from herekaren4bells wrote:How cute are those---would make great slippers too!!! Where is the pattern from??
Give it another try! In fact, here's my recommendation for the best pattern for new sock knitters..calico wrote:My goodness those look so intricate to knit! I tried knitting socks once (bought a book) but found it difficult to do. Sometimes when I revisit something it's easier the second time round so I may have to do that someday. I had better luck crocheting slippers but they don't have the same look.
These are gorgeous and I hope you share pics of your progress...

They're a pair of cedar sock blockers. The etsy seller I got them from doesn't seem to make them any more, but I have a pair that look like this with a leather cord attaching them to each other.calico wrote: Your socks look awesome so far!!! Great yarn! What is that wooden form you have them on?

You can do it! It's mostly twisted stitches and a couple of different double increases and double decreases, none of which are difficult on their own, just fiddly when they're all crammed in together but that's what makes the pretty pattern. The pattern's a freebie, so you can snag it and give it a try - In fact, if you want to play with it, I'd suggest ignoring the actual sock part of the pattern, and giving the chart a try using maybe a smooth sport or DK weight yarn so you can see what's going on and do a couple of repeats of the chart pattern to get the hang of it. Then you can start the socks with the pattern in them! I've done that quite a bit when faced with a pattern within an item that I know will challenge me - I work the kinks out in a swatch first so that I don't have to tink and start over on the actual item. As much as I hate swatching, I know it's an absolute necessity in knitting to get things to fit right and look good.DahliaDoll wrote:Wow! I wish I could some and knit beside you and have you teach me how to do that!
You're very welcome. And your socks look fantastic too! Did you ever find yarn for a pair for yourself?starshine123102 wrote:WOW those look incredible!![]()
![]()
![]()
Thank you again for all your wonderful advice getting me through my first pair of socks, I'm very happy with them!
I'm not that much of a shoe person.. give me a comfy pair of boots, a pair of sneakers and some sandals and I'm good in the shoe department. But I love love love my socks. Even before I was a sock knitter I used to buy all kinds of wild socks. Learning to knit them just added to the addiction. It makes me all kinds of happy to have colorful wool socks in all kinds of patterns on my feet, whether they're visible or not. Except in the hottest part of summer, all I wear are hand knit socks.rcperryls wrote:![]()
Those socks look great! My feet would be very happy wearing them (one of my GDs used to talk about how pretty shoes and\or socks would make her feet happy).
