Colorado Band Sampler - finished 5 Feb

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

MartaAre
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:13 pm

Re: Colorado Band Sampler

Post by MartaAre »

Very nice!
User avatar
wendywombat
Posts: 13546
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:03 pm
Location: Scottish Borders

Re: Colorado Band Sampler

Post by wendywombat »

Fantastic!! Very different from the usual sampler style.

I'm glad you like the hummingbird now! I love him! :D :applesauce: :applesauce:
User avatar
millymolly
Posts: 2703
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 4:06 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Colorado Band Sampler

Post by millymolly »

Lovely work :applesauce:
Amanda =]

WIP
Cloudsfactory Epic Potter & Cut thru Pirate Ship
HAED Mini Awakening Spring Fairy
Shameful UFOs Thread here 3 of 25 finished
User avatar
Carole
Posts: 3275
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Birmingham
Contact:

Re: Colorado Band Sampler

Post by Carole »

It's coming on beautifully. It's such a lovely design :)
Current WIPs
Precious Dreams
Crazy cat lady
Previous WIPs
Previous WIPs

User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Colorado Band Sampler

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Beautiful progress!! I love the hummingbird! Glad you like him now!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
perftangel
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: PA, USA
Contact:

Re: Colorado Band Sampler

Post by perftangel »

Oh it looks so pretty!!!! I'm glad you found the perfect fabric! Maybe I secretly knew! ;)
User avatar
Rose
Posts: 34043
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:24 am
Location: Gilroy, CA

Re: Colorado Band Sampler

Post by Rose »

Oh he is so lovely!!!!!!! :applesauce: :applesauce:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
User avatar
tiffstitch
Posts: 10025
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: Colorado Band Sampler

Post by tiffstitch »

Beautiful!! And thread heaven is a wonder. :)
User avatar
Allyn
Posts: 2224
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:57 pm
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Contact:

Re: Colorado Band Sampler

Post by Allyn »

:applesauce: That is really pretty. :applesauce: I like it.
_________________________________________________________

WIP
Image
User avatar
calico
Posts: 2585
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:59 am
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: Colorado Band Sampler

Post by calico »

Oh my! This is coming along so beautifully! :applesauce: I love it! :wub: Those Aspen leaves look challenging :shock: Satin stitch?
Calico

WIPs:
Glory of Autumn
Orchids & Hummingbird
Santa's Feathered Friend
Eagle's Majesty
Feasting Frenzy
Chickadees on a branch
Autumn Owl Trio - HAED

My Blog
My Flickr
My YouTube Channel
User avatar
karen4bells
Posts: 21816
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:53 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Colorado Band Sampler

Post by karen4bells »

Looks like you are doing a fantastic job to me and I'm glad that the Thread Heaven is helping :) :applesauce:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs


User avatar
fccs
Posts: 9697
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:10 am
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado

Re: Colorado Band Sampler

Post by fccs »

calico wrote:Oh my! This is coming along so beautifully! :applesauce: I love it! :wub: Those Aspen leaves look challenging :shock: Satin stitch?
You're going to love it when you start. You'll definitely want to use an even weave vs Aida, and yep, the aspen leaves are satin stitch. It called for one strand but that would have been too much so I used three ply instead.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
History of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Innocent Dreams
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Colorado Band Sampler

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

It looks lovely! May I ask what the thread is that you're using for the satin stitch? I can't think of a three-ply thread that is thinner than a strand of cotton :thinks: :thinks:
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
fccs
Posts: 9697
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:10 am
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado

Re: Colorado Band Sampler

Post by fccs »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:It looks lovely! May I ask what the thread is that you're using for the satin stitch? I can't think of a three-ply thread that is thinner than a strand of cotton :thinks: :thinks:
Mabel, it might just be that I misinterpreted the directions, but in all the other steps, they call for "one ply" or "two plies" and for the aspen leaves it called for "one strand." I initially used one ply and realized that was just wrong, so I figured the "one strand" meant the entire strand of the six ply fiber. (The instructions are written for 28 count, but I'm doing this on 32 count.) One strand would be way too thick, so I opted for three plies. There's one more band for which the instructions call for "one strand" so I'll probably just play with that one as well to get the effect I like.

Does that make sense? I like the aspen leaves as they are, but I'm curious how you (much more an expert than I) would interpret the instructions.

Oh, the fiber is an overdyed but I don't know what it is. The chart came with the overdyed fibers it needs but doesn't say what they are. (I've done another design by this designer and it's the same deal; the overdyed are included but not the names.)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
History of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Innocent Dreams
User avatar
Fizzbw
Posts: 4650
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 6:14 pm
Location: Brecon, Wales

Re: Colorado Band Sampler

Post by Fizzbw »

Oh I love the leaves! And the humming bird! And the fabric....heck I love it all!!!

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Colorado Band Sampler

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Thanks for the explanation Debby, that makes it much clearer! Terminology can be confusing, especially because it sometimes varies from country to country even within one language. I've always thought of strands as the six things that make up one thread of stranded cotton, and plies as the bits that make up a strand (and which generally you wouldn't separate). As long as you get the coverage you want, it doesn't really matter what it's called :-)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
fccs
Posts: 9697
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:10 am
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado

Re: Colorado Band Sampler

Post by fccs »

Mabel Figworthy wrote: As long as you get the coverage you want, it doesn't really matter what it's called :-)
I agree; they can call them potatoes and as long as I like the effect, it's all good. Potatoes? Mmmm...I must be hungry.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
History of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Innocent Dreams
User avatar
Oriettait
Posts: 3997
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:37 am
Location: Italy

Re: Colorado Band Sampler

Post by Oriettait »

Debby, that is just so pretty!! :applesauce:
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
User avatar
fccs
Posts: 9697
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:10 am
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado

Re: Colorado Band Sampler - finished 5 Feb

Post by fccs »

It's done! Despite the sometimes difficult to decipher chart and instructions, I couldn't tear myself away from it once I started. I think the only changes I made are the floss color for the word "columbines" and the blending filament in the snowflakes (second to the last band). They were supposed to be done with white blending filament and the same color floss that was used for the aspen trunk, but I didn't think it showed up enough, so I changed the blending filament to a multi color. It shows up better in person than in the photo.

Image
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
History of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Innocent Dreams
User avatar
Brekkana
Posts: 439
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:32 pm

Re: Colorado Band Sampler - finished 5 Feb

Post by Brekkana »

I love it! My dad grew up in Elbert county, so we have a bit of Colorado in our veins :)
So many HAEDs I couldn't possibly list them all. Current favorites are Dragon Kin, Sea Unicorns (QS), April Fairy, What's This, Dahlia, and so many starts going on. Love to cross stitch! Find me on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/brekkana.kultiras
Post Reply