Mabel's designs

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Post Reply
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Well I think I've got it sorted - no pics yet as I'm still working on it and also writing a FoF about it :-) but only a little more work and I can start the cutting!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Lulu22
Posts: 2307
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:26 am

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Lulu22 »

Oh my word I LOVE your snowman he is amazing you do such beautiful work Mabel :whoop: :whoop: :applesauce:
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
kbaywolf
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by kbaywolf »

Snowman is fab. You are clearly a skilled needleworker!
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Well, I'm getting on with Carousel and am changing around the problem stitch ( if you want the details of what I changed and why, it's in FoF) - so it looks a bit hybrid at the moment, but I hope to solve that tomorrow at the library craft group! And then it will also be time to start cutting.... The close-ups show some of the stitches I'm using, including some non-cut Hardanger filling.

Image

Image

Image
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: It's so pretty now, I can't wait to see it after the cutting!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
Squirrel
Posts: 16821
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:33 am
Location: exChristhcurch NZ, now Brisbane, Australia

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Squirrel »

:wub: it. It is so rich and gorgeous. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
User avatar
wendywombat
Posts: 13546
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:03 pm
Location: Scottish Borders

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by wendywombat »

I do like the way that you mix Hardanger with other stitching!! Fabulous crosses!! :applesauce: :applesauce:
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Final Maltese cross re-worked in light blue, the cutting done and the cut ends tucked in. Only Y-bars left to do now!

Image
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Garnet
Posts: 1432
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: North East Wales, United Kingdom

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Garnet »

Well, there you go. I knew you'd sort the problem out :wink:

It's so beautiful, so elegant and rich.

:wub: it.

yup, another Mabel Masterpiece :)
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: Beautiful and I agree that elegant is a wonderful description!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Finished :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

and a close-up of the Y-bars. The intention is for them to give an impression of movement through their asymmetry - sort of chasing each other :-)

Image

Image
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
richardandtracy
Posts: 6157
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 4:27 pm
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by richardandtracy »

That is really special.

I love the two colours of blue. They go so well together.
The couched loops in the middle of each edge are fascinating. Would make a good engraved pattern on a pen barrel.
The Y bars are nice and the circular symmetry is probably the best way of adding the shape. And having them is better than not.
The piece de resistance is the lighter blue cross in the middle. So ornate and restrained at the same time.

Regards,

Richard.
Seriously under the paw.
User avatar
wendywombat
Posts: 13546
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:03 pm
Location: Scottish Borders

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by wendywombat »

I think that Richard has said it all!! :applesauce: :applesauce:
Well done Mabel for yet another perfect and very beautiful Hardanger Square! :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Thank you Richard for that well-considered analysis - very helpful!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
karen4bells
Posts: 21816
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:53 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by karen4bells »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: Absolute perfection!!! :wub:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs


User avatar
Squirrel
Posts: 16821
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:33 am
Location: exChristhcurch NZ, now Brisbane, Australia

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Squirrel »

That brings back a lot of lovely memories Mabel. I love the Y bars so useful for filling in.

Your finished square is amazing and, as always, beautifully stitched. :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: .
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Serinde »

What an interesting design -- and that's the secret of your success, IMHO. :) All your designs are interesting to stitch as well as looking lovely. I also have a confession to make... I rather liked the two-tone Maltese cross because it provided an illusion of movement. However, I can see exactly why you changed it, and the analysis at FoF was really interesting.
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by rcperryls »

karen4bells wrote::applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: Absolute perfection!!! :wub:
Love it!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Serinde wrote:I also have a confession to make... I rather liked the two-tone Maltese cross because it provided an illusion of movement.
No need for a confession, we all like different looks and effects, and as a matter of fact I'm terribly ambivalent about this stitch all round. I like the two-tone (or even high-contrast) version when done in two thin threads, and I can even see the movement you mention in the plump version - but I knew that in the end it would niggle me more than it would please me, hence the change :-). And of course anyone who stitches it (rather to my astonishment I sold one last night, about an hour after I'd put it on the website :shock: ) can choose to use whatever colours they like for any of the stitches!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Post Reply