Mabel's designs

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Serinde »

I do really like this design! Well done, Mabel. :applesauce:
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Half a rainbow :-)

I'm pleased with the texture on this band - my original plan was diagonal satin stitch in one direction all the way, but as I started I thought that would be too solid. This adds quite a nice play of light which is a bit difficult to capture in the photographs.

Green next! Nice simple stem stitch.

Image
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Serinde »

Scotch stitch?
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

If it were counted canvaswork, yes, it would be. I rather think of it as alternating diagonal satin stitch on this non-counted ground, especially as the angle changes according to where the block is on the arc.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Serinde »

Throws the light really nicely.
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by rcperryls »

Cant wait for the next row! This is beautiful!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
Podolyanka
Posts: 1706
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:30 pm
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Podolyanka »

As I dont know the terms to be able to comment, I will be short: I like what I see very much. Especially the neatness of the work. Mabel is obviously a classical perfectionist in both, designing and stitching. :applesauce:
Lyudmila
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

If Mabel was really a classical perfectionist she would have outlined her satin stitch with split stitch first, but she chose not to as she wants to keep this project enjoyably relaxed :-) - nevertheless I do greatly appreciate your appreciative words!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Podolyanka
Posts: 1706
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:30 pm
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Podolyanka »

If Mabel were not a perfectionist, she would not have known how she could have done it even better. :D
Lyudmila
User avatar
wendywombat
Posts: 13546
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:03 pm
Location: Scottish Borders

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by wendywombat »

Podolyanka wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:35 pm If Mabel were not a perfectionist, she would not have known how she could have done it even better. :D
Well said, Lyudmila! :applesauce:


I echo everything others have said! :wub:
User avatar
Squirrel
Posts: 16821
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:33 am
Location: exChristhcurch NZ, now Brisbane, Australia

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Squirrel »

i love this design Mabel and how appropriate it is for this current time :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
User avatar
karen4bells
Posts: 21816
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:53 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by karen4bells »

rcperryls wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:10 pm :applesauce: :applesauce: A beautiful rainbow is clearly in the making!

Carole
:dance:
Absolutely awesome!!! And your new threads are very beautiful!! :wub:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs


User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

And another colour :-)

Now I have a few questions to solve about stitches and shades for the next one.

Image
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by rcperryls »

This is really going quickly!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
Squirrel
Posts: 16821
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:33 am
Location: exChristhcurch NZ, now Brisbane, Australia

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Squirrel »

How beautiful and colourful that is guaranteed to brighten anyones day for sure. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Well, we're progressing, although I hae me doots about the blue. I'm letting it sit for a bit to decide whether it's worth unpicking it or not. More detail on Fof.
Incidentally, also on Fof a bit more about how I found a rogue thread. In my stash I have a thread which purports to be Caron Soie Cristale, which I bought with other Soie Cristales as part of a series of blues, but which, when I came to use it, very clearly was NOT Soie Cristale - for one thing it has 16 strands instead of 12. How did that happen????

Image
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by rcperryls »

What are you not sure about regarding the blue? The color or shade or the stitch you chose? I like it. What would you change?

Carole
:?
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I like the stitch. The colour is the issue. I'd originally chosen a lighter blue because that's the only suitable one I had in my collection of Splendor silks, but after some havering substituted a darker blue from a different brand. Now the whole band has been stitched I'm wondering if the lighter blue would have been better after all....
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Teddy is finally big enough to wear his birthday present :-)

Image
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Serinde »

Perfect! :baby:
Post Reply