Mabel's designs
Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde
- Squirrel
- Posts: 16821
- Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:33 am
- Location: exChristhcurch NZ, now Brisbane, Australia
Re: Mabel's designs
Love that scarf, it looks lovely and cosy on him. A good start

Sally in Brisbane Australia
WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
- wendywombat
- Posts: 13546
- Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:03 pm
- Location: Scottish Borders
Re: Mabel's designs
I love Forever Frosty....he's even got an elbow on his right arm!

Re: Mabel's designs
He is looking good, Mabel!
Don't let him out in this heatwave!
Hélène
Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace
Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace
Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Re: Mabel's designs
Carole
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
- Podolyanka
- Posts: 1706
- Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:30 pm
- Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Re: Mabel's designs
Mabel, could you kindly give me a link to your magic needle case in a form of roll? I hope you dont mind my stealing your idea because none of the versions I found on the internet suits me. As far as I remember, yours is simple to make, isnt it? Thank you in advance.
Lyudmila
-
nannyrainbow
Re: Mabel's designs
Really fablous things you design & stitch Mabel. So many varieties of stitches, amazes me how you do it all. Thank you for sharing your wonderful stitchings.

Re: Mabel's designs
Lovely to see Forever Frosty (esp. In this heat)
Lovely arms you've given him and his hat band already pops!
Well done Mabel
- Mabel Figworthy
- Posts: 34208
- Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
- Location: Dunchurch, UK
- Contact:
Re: Mabel's designs
Lyudmila, I'm away at the moment - but I think in the Finishes thread in Tip & Tricks I posted about it. The pictures are no longer there, but there should be a link to the Mary Corbet article from which I got the idea (yes, I nicked it in the first place
)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
- Mabel Figworthy
- Posts: 34208
- Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
- Location: Dunchurch, UK
- Contact:
Re: Mabel's designs
Trying to get back into hardanger with a pair of designs I've called Veiled Delight, which are stitched through hand-dyed organza. I've finished the first, which was stitched without first attaching the organza, and have started on the second by tacking the organza down - just to see which effect I like best 




Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
- Mabel Figworthy
- Posts: 34208
- Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
- Location: Dunchurch, UK
- Contact:
Re: Mabel's designs
Also managed a bit more work on Forever Frosty - he has a body now
!


Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Re: Mabel's designs
Love Frosty but really am so happy to see you back with Hardanger designs too! Is that fabric the same organza fabric that I only think of for fancy dresses? Does that keep you from pulling threads? I love the fabric colors.
Carole
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Re: Mabel's designs
Ooooohhh, pretty, I really like the mottled effect that's already on the Organza, it adds to it beautifully and so interesting to see the Organza on top of the Hardanger fabric, I always thought it had to go behind the finished piece as in a showing off the Dove's Eye stitch kind of way. (Says she who has only done one piece of Hardanger and cried because her Dove's Eye's weren't all lying in the same direction)
It's great to see Forever Frosty again, we need him in this heat
and he is as lovely and rotund as any self-respecting snowman or woman should be 
It's great to see Forever Frosty again, we need him in this heat
- Mabel Figworthy
- Posts: 34208
- Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
- Location: Dunchurch, UK
- Contact:
Re: Mabel's designs
Carole, the organza is a space-dyed silk organza by 21st Century Yarns - I picked up a pack of small squares at the Knitting & Stitching Show some years back. It's a very sheer fabric, which is why you can still count the Lugana threads through them (though it does need good light, and my stitching glasses!) Yes, it does mean no cutting, so these are just satin stitch and straight stitch shapes.
Garnet, I have done some pieces with the organze behind the cut areas as you describe (called Extravorganza - you can see them here) and that works very well; these are just an experiment really. One day I had a piece of organza lying on top of counted fabric and I realised you could see the weave relatively clearly, so I decided to try and stitch through it
Garnet, I have done some pieces with the organze behind the cut areas as you describe (called Extravorganza - you can see them here) and that works very well; these are just an experiment really. One day I had a piece of organza lying on top of counted fabric and I realised you could see the weave relatively clearly, so I decided to try and stitch through it
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
- Mabel Figworthy
- Posts: 34208
- Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
- Location: Dunchurch, UK
- Contact:
Re: Mabel's designs
Finished the second of Veiled Delights - bright white on green this time.
I tacked the organza to see if it would lie flatter, and it did. Until I ironed it
Oh well, I rather like the crinkly effect of the organza 


I tacked the organza to see if it would lie flatter, and it did. Until I ironed it


Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
- richardandtracy
- Posts: 6157
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 4:27 pm
- Location: Kent, UK
- Contact:
Re: Mabel's designs
Of the two hardanger designs I have to confess I greatly prefer the one on the red fabric. Its simplicity gives it great elegance and a restrained strength of design.
The green fabric is quite busy itself, which - to my mind, & maybe no one agrees - tends to overwhelm the more fragmented design of the second.
Love the snowman, whatever my thoughts are about doing something like that in a heatwave!
Regards
Richard.
The green fabric is quite busy itself, which - to my mind, & maybe no one agrees - tends to overwhelm the more fragmented design of the second.
Love the snowman, whatever my thoughts are about doing something like that in a heatwave!
Regards
Richard.
Seriously under the paw.
- Mabel Figworthy
- Posts: 34208
- Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
- Location: Dunchurch, UK
- Contact:
Re: Mabel's designs
Thanks Richard, it's very helpful to get feedback about the look of designs - I get so used to them it's sometimes difficult to step back and look at them "fresh".
I wish I could say Frosty is keeping me cool, but alas, no....
I wish I could say Frosty is keeping me cool, but alas, no....
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits
Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
- Squirrel
- Posts: 16821
- Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:33 am
- Location: exChristhcurch NZ, now Brisbane, Australia
Re: Mabel's designs
Sad that Frosty is not sharing his chillyness with you Mabel but it sure is lovely to see him again and now with a body too.
I too prefer the one on the red organza, simple elegance for sure and maybe you have given me an idea for the special wedding card I need to make. Mmmm. sure is food for thought.
The 2nd one is gorgeous too on the fussier fabric.
As always Mabel you leave me breathless with all the ideas you come up with.
I too prefer the one on the red organza, simple elegance for sure and maybe you have given me an idea for the special wedding card I need to make. Mmmm. sure is food for thought.
The 2nd one is gorgeous too on the fussier fabric.
As always Mabel you leave me breathless with all the ideas you come up with.
Sally in Brisbane Australia
WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
- wendywombat
- Posts: 13546
- Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:03 pm
- Location: Scottish Borders
Re: Mabel's designs
Mr Forever Frosty looks so happy and cheerful...do keep him out of the Hot sun though won't you!
I do like those Organza Hardanger designs. I think that a lot of designs and inventions happen by accident,
I think that I'm going to be different and vote for the Green! I like the simple design on the Red but the Green backing adds a depth to the design and I like that.

I do like those Organza Hardanger designs. I think that a lot of designs and inventions happen by accident,
I think that I'm going to be different and vote for the Green! I like the simple design on the Red but the Green backing adds a depth to the design and I like that.
-
country lass
Re: Mabel's designs
Fablous, just Fablous Mr. Frosty. Really love this, it is exquisitely designs & stitched.
Like the other projects too, they are very pretty & fabric does look good as it is Mabel. A unique take on it, something different is always eye catching even if it was unintentional.
Such versatility in these latest designs, really wonderful to see your artistic mind at work
Can;g wait for next updates

Like the other projects too, they are very pretty & fabric does look good as it is Mabel. A unique take on it, something different is always eye catching even if it was unintentional.
Such versatility in these latest designs, really wonderful to see your artistic mind at work