Mabel's designs

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

User avatar
Squirrel
Posts: 16821
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:33 am
Location: exChristhcurch NZ, now Brisbane, Australia

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Squirrel »

Love that scarf, it looks lovely and cosy on him. A good start :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
User avatar
sina28
Posts: 683
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:59 pm
Location: South-West of Germany

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by sina28 »

Lovely start Mabel! I too love his scarf, it looks just so cozy!
Sina
User avatar
wendywombat
Posts: 13546
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:03 pm
Location: Scottish Borders

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by wendywombat »

I love Forever Frosty....he's even got an elbow on his right arm! :shock:

:whoop: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
User avatar
poppy
Posts: 2145
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Surrey

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by poppy »

He is looking good, Mabel! :D Don't let him out in this heatwave!
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: He is so much fun to watch develop!!! Love it!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
Podolyanka
Posts: 1706
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:30 pm
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Podolyanka »

Mabel, could you kindly give me a link to your magic needle case in a form of roll? I hope you dont mind my stealing your idea because none of the versions I found on the internet suits me. As far as I remember, yours is simple to make, isnt it? Thank you in advance.
Lyudmila
nannyrainbow

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by nannyrainbow »

Really fablous things you design & stitch Mabel. So many varieties of stitches, amazes me how you do it all. Thank you for sharing your wonderful stitchings. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
User avatar
Garnet
Posts: 1432
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: North East Wales, United Kingdom

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Garnet »

:whoop: :whoop:

Lovely to see Forever Frosty (esp. In this heat)

Lovely arms you've given him and his hat band already pops!

Well done Mabel

:applesauce: :applesauce:
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Lyudmila, I'm away at the moment - but I think in the Finishes thread in Tip & Tricks I posted about it. The pictures are no longer there, but there should be a link to the Mary Corbet article from which I got the idea (yes, I nicked it in the first place :-) )
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Trying to get back into hardanger with a pair of designs I've called Veiled Delight, which are stitched through hand-dyed organza. I've finished the first, which was stitched without first attaching the organza, and have started on the second by tacking the organza down - just to see which effect I like best :-)

Image

Image
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Also managed a bit more work on Forever Frosty - he has a body now :-) !

Image
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Love Frosty but really am so happy to see you back with Hardanger designs too! Is that fabric the same organza fabric that I only think of for fancy dresses? Does that keep you from pulling threads? I love the fabric colors.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
Garnet
Posts: 1432
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: North East Wales, United Kingdom

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Garnet »

Ooooohhh, pretty, I really like the mottled effect that's already on the Organza, it adds to it beautifully and so interesting to see the Organza on top of the Hardanger fabric, I always thought it had to go behind the finished piece as in a showing off the Dove's Eye stitch kind of way. (Says she who has only done one piece of Hardanger and cried because her Dove's Eye's weren't all lying in the same direction)

It's great to see Forever Frosty again, we need him in this heat :D and he is as lovely and rotund as any self-respecting snowman or woman should be :)
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Carole, the organza is a space-dyed silk organza by 21st Century Yarns - I picked up a pack of small squares at the Knitting & Stitching Show some years back. It's a very sheer fabric, which is why you can still count the Lugana threads through them (though it does need good light, and my stitching glasses!) Yes, it does mean no cutting, so these are just satin stitch and straight stitch shapes.

Garnet, I have done some pieces with the organze behind the cut areas as you describe (called Extravorganza - you can see them here) and that works very well; these are just an experiment really. One day I had a piece of organza lying on top of counted fabric and I realised you could see the weave relatively clearly, so I decided to try and stitch through it :-)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Finished the second of Veiled Delights - bright white on green this time.

I tacked the organza to see if it would lie flatter, and it did. Until I ironed it :-( Oh well, I rather like the crinkly effect of the organza :-)

Image

Image
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
richardandtracy
Posts: 6157
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 4:27 pm
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by richardandtracy »

Of the two hardanger designs I have to confess I greatly prefer the one on the red fabric. Its simplicity gives it great elegance and a restrained strength of design.

The green fabric is quite busy itself, which - to my mind, & maybe no one agrees - tends to overwhelm the more fragmented design of the second.

Love the snowman, whatever my thoughts are about doing something like that in a heatwave!

Regards

Richard.
Seriously under the paw.
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Thanks Richard, it's very helpful to get feedback about the look of designs - I get so used to them it's sometimes difficult to step back and look at them "fresh".

I wish I could say Frosty is keeping me cool, but alas, no....
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Squirrel
Posts: 16821
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:33 am
Location: exChristhcurch NZ, now Brisbane, Australia

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by Squirrel »

Sad that Frosty is not sharing his chillyness with you Mabel but it sure is lovely to see him again and now with a body too.

I too prefer the one on the red organza, simple elegance for sure and maybe you have given me an idea for the special wedding card I need to make. Mmmm. sure is food for thought.


The 2nd one is gorgeous too on the fussier fabric.

As always Mabel you leave me breathless with all the ideas you come up with.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
User avatar
wendywombat
Posts: 13546
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:03 pm
Location: Scottish Borders

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by wendywombat »

Mr Forever Frosty looks so happy and cheerful...do keep him out of the Hot sun though won't you! :snowman: :hot: :sun:

I do like those Organza Hardanger designs. I think that a lot of designs and inventions happen by accident, :idea:

I think that I'm going to be different and vote for the Green! I like the simple design on the Red but the Green backing adds a depth to the design and I like that. :applesauce: :applesauce:
country lass

Re: Mabel's designs

Post by country lass »

Fablous, just Fablous Mr. Frosty. Really love this, it is exquisitely designs & stitched. :applesauce: :applesauce:

Like the other projects too, they are very pretty & fabric does look good as it is Mabel. A unique take on it, something different is always eye catching even if it was unintentional.

Such versatility in these latest designs, really wonderful to see your artistic mind at work :whoop: :applesauce: :applesauce: Can;g wait for next updates :D :D
Post Reply